Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Have you eaten any bug, frog etc. from street

footopic

Why eat some bug when i can eat some lovely Thai beef curry :)

I agree, however if a greater food crisis happens as some predict, eating lower on the food chain feeds more people*. Insects are high in nutrient and can be processed and added to various food items. Until then, I'll join you in choosing the Thai curry. ;)

http://www.treehugge...ating-bugs.html

*Just saw this quote: “Live simply that others might simply live.” – Elizabeth Ann Seton

Edited by CyberPro

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• footopic

• pubstud

• Steven B'stard

• thinkingallowed

tried it all. as said before tastes a bit like bbq. the grub were a bit mushy. grasshoppers were the best, just a bit hard to chew up. frog was ok.

also tried jellyfish from a thai bbq. didn't have much taste, all i could taste was the nam prik i dipped it in.

also tried jellyfish from a thai bbq. didn't have much taste, all i could taste was the nam prik i dipped it in.

Eating jellyfish? Ewww. I've experienced stings to the face from wind-blown jellyfish tentacles while working on the back deck of a fishing vessel before dawn when you aren't fully awake yet...interesting experience. I read that the box jellyfish can kill a human in short order and that heat doesn't neutralize marine toxins. What if the Thai vendor gets the wrong jellyfish and/or it isn't prepared correctly? I think I'll pass on that one. ;)

http://en.wikipedia....i/Box_jellyfish

"The box jellyfish has been called "the world's most venomous creature"

Edited by CyberPro

Eating jellyfish? Ewww. I've experienced stings to the face from wind-blown jellyfish tentacles while working on the back deck of a fishing vessel before dawn when you aren't fully awake yet...interesting experience. I read that the box jellyfish can kill a human in short order and that heat doesn't neutralize marine toxins. What if the Thai vendor gets the wrong jellyfish and/or it isn't prepared correctly? I think I'll pass on that one. ;)

They don't cook the tentacles, just the main body part. It was cut into thin 1 inch square pieces. And it was cooked, some people eat it raw. The texture was similar to squid in that it was a bit chewy but did not taste like squid. Don't be afraid. Only regret what you haven't done, not what you have done.

:) As for the box jellyfish, yeah, stay away from those bastards. They live up north in my state, you shouldn't go swimming in summer.

I've tried most things but Balut eggs. Usually duck but can be chicken eggs that are incubated 21 days so the embryo is almost fully formed. The eggs is boiled and eaten with salt just like a normal boiled egg.

Go Google it if you want to see a picture, I'm not putting a photo here as people may have just had their breakfast.

Edited by thinkingallowed

• 3 weeks later...

iv never tried the bugs but was in a bar on soi 8 and my bar fine dissapered and came back with chicken feet, i had a taste of one it was just like the skin off a chicken breast. never heard of anyone else mentioning them tho, has anyone else tried them?

I took 3 Quicky bar girls to a Thai BBQ ..they could chose any meat..chicken breast, lean beef, liver.. and they chose chicken feet.

I tried it but found it tasteless and pointless.. with a bone in it.

They CANT prefer it to chicken meat.. the only logical reason is it reminds them of home

• 3 weeks later...

I have seen many weird food on the streets but I did not have enough courage to taste any of it. Have you ever eaten those bugs,scorpion,frog and any other insects?

Do you think it makes you ill?

bugs.jpg

I love street food, but I can honestly say I've never eaten the bugs. I've seen others do it, but it's just not my thing.

The wood worms are ok, ate them many times. The cooking oil they use here is soybeans, boils at 100 degrees less than the oils we use at home, say sunflower or canola. Maybe advise the person preparing them to leave the bugs a minute longer in the boiling oil.

They don't cook the tentacles, just the main body part. It was cut into thin 1 inch square pieces. And it was cooked, some people eat it raw. The texture was similar to squid in that it was a bit chewy but did not taste like squid. Don't be afraid. Only regret what you haven't done, not what you have done.

My own experience with jellyfish was a bit different. I was at a dim sum place here in the States, and they happened to have some, so I tried it... was overwhelmingly slimy and salty. I always tell people it reminded me of swallowing my own snot. I'm guessing it was served raw, but I wouldn't mind trying the cooked version to see if it's any different. Overall, not the worst thing I've ever tasted, but I won't seek the stuff out.

Edit: Couldn't agree more with the last thing you wrote. I started being adventurous with my food and drink choices about 20 years ago, and it kinda snowballed. There isn't a single food item on Earth that I won't try once, and in Thailand, there are MANY chances to expand your horizons.

Edited by looney4pooney

was drunk once tried a cricket the first one went down all right so I tried to be a smartass and eat another one ended up dry heaving then quickly skulling a san mig lite so I wont be trying bugs again I think

I've tried most things but Balut eggs. Usually duck but can be chicken eggs that are incubated 21 days so the embryo is almost fully formed. The eggs is boiled and eaten with salt just like a normal boiled egg.

Go Google it if you want to see a picture, I'm not putting a photo here as people may have just had their breakfast.

I feel evil today so here's a pic of a lovely balut egg

200px-Inside_a_Balut_-_Embryo_and_Yolk.jpg

Up to now my want was not strong enough to overcome my disgust.

No I haven't, and I will NEVER eat a bug. That looks nasty being given a plate filled with different insects to eat ew. I get grossed out just seeing a cricket, do you sincerely think I'm going to eat one?

To each their own I guess.

I'd more than likely puke eating one of those =(

A frog is more do-able though, just as long as it doesn't look like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67BkPIc2DJ4&feature=player_embedded

My frogs has to be COOKED, and mixed with some rice or what ever lol. I refuse to eat it the way it is presented in the video.

Edited by Orgy

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not the kind of a guy who tries new things but i ate some bugs...........it's ok tastes like these japanese things you sometime get in europe next to your drinks......instead of peanuts. Its salty and crunchy nothing special.

Idd it looks creepy lol

I remember being loaded enough to try the ant larvae the girls were snacking on at big dogs in BK.It tasted better than i thought it would,but the bar WAS set pretty low.

I feel evil today so here's a pic of a lovely balut egg

200px-Inside_a_Balut_-_Embryo_and_Yolk.jpg

Yeah that was something I tried supposed to give you big power, but after I was calling bullshit, the crickets taste close to popcorn , the grub I personally thought was the worst once it popped I was chasing it down with a bottle of coke, I'll take the mama noodles any time of the day,

Edited by Trivex81

post-22007-0-43851400-1348179382.png

Check it before you Wreck it !!!!

Gamora: Quill, your ship is dirty.

Peter Quill: She has no idea. If she had a black light, this ship would look like a Jackson Pollock painting.

Have tried a few grasshoppers before not to my taste

When I have had a few beers and feel a bit peckish you can not beat a chicken kebab wrap

More my style

Each trip I say I'm going to try the bugs,but when the time comes,I just can't do it.

Robw