IGNORED

Have you eaten any bug, frog etc. from street

footopic

i have eaten countless numbers of times in the past the grasshoppers, silkworm larvae, and bamboo wom larvae. most of the consumption was done in another cleaner and agriculturally rich area of thailand. in pattaya i would like to consume these items but i don't because of the hygienic factor and the uncertainty of where the insects come from and how they are harvested and kept after harvesting. i eat them due to their high nutritional content compared to their size. they also taste great too when a bit of soy sauce is sprayed on them. the bamboo worms r great just fried. if you eat the grasshoppers be sure to remove the leg below the knee joint as it is barbed. scorpions i have never tried but would like to. the insects that look like cockroaches that are some kind of water bug i wouldn't f-ing eat if you paid me to.

Edited by A1 MAX OUT UBER FANTASTISH

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• footopic

• pubstud

• VillaMike

• jgaskin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had a lobster at Lobster Pot. Just a big cockroach.

Retired

Tried the crickets/grasshoppers and they were very tasty though the legs get stuck in your teeth.

Anyone ever eaten those fucking spiders in Cambo?

I once bought a can of snake soup in a Hong Kong supermarket. never opened the bloody thing, just kept it as paperweight.

I had a lobster at Lobster Pot. Just a big cockroach.

I'd rather have the lobster too. :LOL2:

Robw

Last trip in January me and my bro had scorpions off the cart just before Walking Street and I reckon I was still chewing it when I got down near I bar. Tasted like shit too, but crossed it off my to do list

The funny thing about first impressions is you don't get a second chance at them!

Never tried any of this stuff simply because there are so many food stands with normal good food everywhere. I don't want to waste my appetite.

Keep in mind that regular middle class BKK Thai people would be just as repulsed at eating this stuff. Bugs are eaten by the really poor people in Thailand, mostly from Issan. Same with rats.

iv never tried the bugs but was in a bar on soi 8 and my bar fine dissapered and came back with chicken feet, i had a taste of one it was just like the skin off a chicken breast. never heard of anyone else mentioning them tho, has anyone else tried them?

Wanna guess what is the biggest export from USA to China? Yup... chicken feet. US producers can't sell them here since we don't eat it, and Chinese really love them because we produce some giant chickens with giant feet thanks to our industrial farming. I've tried chicken feet and it depends how they are done.... very cartilage-y, soak up soup/flavoring... Good, but too much work, not really worth the effort.

I plan on trying something for my first trip. I run like a girl when I see a cockroach, so it definitely won't be that. Sounding like the ants might be the best bet.

tried once, just crispy and fat but full of protein. could solve starvation in the world

bon appetit

yeah the grass hoppers remind me of pork scratchings

scorpion shells are too crunchy i find

yep not in thailand tho ... I have had them in a chinese restaurant here in england (liverpool) with an old X chinese GF

(chicken feet in black bean sauce it was)

quite nice when you forget what your eating , not possible for some 5555

I thought chicken feet were a chinese thing too.

I have tried frogs,grubs and ants, all tasty.

Had the bugs two trips back and got food poisioning, was laid up for 3 days. Not nice. I had them before with no problem and think that they may have not been cooked enough. Anyway, will not try again.

I always gave money to one of the girls at the bar I used to frequent to buy food off the cart that the girls used to use each day, that way you know it's ok stuff if the girls are eating it.

Yes i've tried most of the disgusting things they have in LoS..

Most of the time they taste just salty / deep-fried

I'm suprised those eggs they sell havn't had a mention, 100 year old or whatever they are called, now they are throwing up material. My girl said to try one as they are nice, i nearly threw up on the beech.

Chicken feet are cooked up at many of the soup noodle places around. Scorpions are very very bitter taste as bad as they look.

have tried the bug things a few times... usually while drunk, and I usually regret it.

Red

"Just trying to have a little bit of fun folks, that's all." - Dean Martin

wanted to try it.....never got a chance to. maybe next time.

I tried a few bugs in Bangkok, i was not that impressed, and they were not impressed with me, deciding they were better off on the street, shame they came back up with all the beer i had drunk..

I have eat some criket (thank to my BG friend who have bring them to me !

Like most have noticed its have like no taste, i think its take the taste of the condiment they are cook in, and for once they dont use anything spicy just basic oil and wheat flour, but the sauce they sell with are here for that !

I tried one claw of a fried scorpion. Didn't taste like anything really. The shell was hard, no meat in it that I could detect.

I have had, frog, grashoppers, small worms, bugs, scorpion and some other. but i must say i prefer small frogs, tasty with a cold bear

Nok Ka Wao