IGNORED

Windows 7 and installing old Xp run programs? help!

arrabista

Windows 7 and installing old Xp run programs

Hi there was wondering if anyone can offer any advice on this :) :

I am about to buy a new laptop finally. Old laptop ran xp and all my programs ran xp. I have heard of 2 methods to use them on win 7 and want your help:

I have heard that windows 7 professional has a virtual xp mode where I can run all my programs. Anyone done this?

Or apparently I can do a dual boot and run xp on one and windows 7 on the other.( I don’t have much experience with installing a dual boot ,so prefer not to do this…)

Any thoughts or help on this gents? What has happened to xp programs on win 7 from your experience.

Is windows 7 basic enough for average user ? I did go to Tukom and bought a dodgy cd of windows 7 professional :Grin3: …. So also toying with installing that ….anyone done this …does it mean I won’t be able to download updates from Microsoft cause copy would be illegal? Again any advice appreciated folks

Cheers

"Never put off till tomorrow the fun you can have today",Aldous Huxley ...

Come on guys .!!

11 views...

Someone chime in please! :)

I dont think "dual boot and run xp on one and windows 7“ or "win7 virtual xp mode" is a good idea, maybe many inconvenience. Ive heard many xp program run win7 correctly, what i suggest is maybe upgrade your programs is better, i guess most of them canbe upgraded freely. I am using the win7 family verson which is good enough for all what i need, sorry dont know the difference btw basic and family. Ive also heard many illegal xin7 download updates no problem, the most importance is the serial number----you should ask the CD seller give you the win7 verson which "CAN UPGRADE NO DOUBT".

Hope useful

Charlesyu!

thanks mate for your help and suggestions.

I kind of gathered now from speaking to people that win 7 home premium should be able to run my programs that worked on xp without running a dedicated xp mode or dual boot.

i will keep it simple.

so fingers crossed!

Yes keep it simple.

Just do a clean install of Windows 7, but if it's hooky you need a Serial number to authenticate and get updates.

Then you'll have to re-install your progs.

Any you haven't got, including Win 7 are on Pirate Bay - that's where Tukcom steal theirs from. :o

Win 7 Professional and Ultimate can run a Win XP virtual machine which does not require a dual boot. However, for most programs all you have to do is right click the program file and go to properties and the Compatibility tab and chose which version you want to emulate and you are done.

Cheers

9 people can't make a baby in one month

Charlesyu!

thanks mate for your help and suggestions.

I kind of gathered now from speaking to people that win 7 home premium should be able to run my programs that worked on xp without running a dedicated xp mode or dual boot.

i will keep it simple.

so fingers crossed!

Yep, all my XP programs have worked on windows 7 so far. Old drivers will probably not work, and there are some games that talked directly to hardware that will not work (but those are more rare). The drivers is a bigger issue if you have some oddball hardware, but most new hardware will have new drivers available.

Home should be enough for you.

Note that you can download and install a trial version from Microsoft that will work for 30 days, that should be enough time to decide if home is ok for you.

Yes keep it simple.

Just do a clean install of Windows 7, but if it's hooky you need a Serial number to authenticate and get updates.

Then you'll have to re-install your progs.

Any you haven't got, including Win 7 are on Pirate Bay - that's where Tukcom steal theirs from. :o

Thanks Jaded Edge.. :)

Win 7 Professional and Ultimate can run a Win XP virtual machine which does not require a dual boot. However, for most programs all you have to do is right click the program file and go to properties and the Compatibility tab and chose which version you want to emulate and you are done.

Cheers

@singalaong ..thanks you too :)

Yep, all my XP programs have worked on windows 7 so far. Old drivers will probably not work, and there are some games that talked directly to hardware that will not work (but those are more rare). The drivers is a bigger issue if you have some oddball hardware, but most new hardware will have new drivers available.

Home should be enough for you.

Note that you can download and install a trial version from Microsoft that will work for 30 days, that should be enough time to decide if home is ok for you.

thank you mat e...and apreciate everyones input ...i think my laptop will be have win 7 home premium..sounds like it should be fine

cheers