IGNORED

quick question on visas....

tonyxc

hi all

i am planning on staying in bkk for at least 6 months. im australian but live in the uk currently so there is no issue for me entering thailand.

question is, i am planning on making bkk my base for asia. i want to be able to say go to hong kong for the weekend or

some other neighbouring country on a whim for a couple of days.

would it make sense just to keep on entering thailand with the exempt visa, and make sure i leave/re-enter before 30 days?

would immigration question me on why i do this? and what if i dont have a return ticket since i will be travelling a bit....?

i see no point in getting the multiple entries if they dont allow me to exit/enter as i want.

thanks in advance

If you are over 50... You are in luck.. Must have 800,000 bt in thai bank account or proof that you are getting 65,000 bt monthy income from abroad...

If you are under 50, Apply for triple non imigrant visa, You have to leave the country 90 days and return (three times).... Students Visa may be another option for you, i have no experience with that visa requirement... Some one here will give you one...

Edited by jocky king

As far as I know with the Ed Visa option, you can sign up for a Thai Language Course, take the option of flexible lessons by paying around 50% extra.

Then if you want to leave the country you go down to Jomtien Immigration and apply for exit.

There is a fee involved, around Bt1900, I think. Then off you go, see you next week.

With this option, though, you are effectively committed to attend lessons while in country three times a week, for three hours.

Probably not a bad thing to fill part of your day with some Brain Matter stimulation though, along with all the Optic Nerve stimulation you normally get.

Not to mention keeping the Liver Degradation in check, a little.

Check out ThaiWalen.com as one example.

If you are planning to leave and reenter many times as you are suggesting then the best bet is the visa exempt route. Getting a visa and paying for a reentry permit every time will add up. Nobody usually gets questioned if arriving by air no matter how many times, it is the border crossings where you might get questioned after 4 or so times. If you have a return ticket to UK or Australia after the 6 months even better, but many people use Bangkok as a base and fly in and out all the time.

If you are planning to leave and reenter many times as you are suggesting then the best bet is the visa exempt route. Getting a visa and paying for a reentry permit every time will add up. Nobody usually gets questioned if arriving by air no matter how many times, it is the border crossings where you might get questioned after 4 or so times. If you have a return ticket to UK or Australia after the 6 months even better, but many people use Bangkok as a base and fly in and out all the time.

I have been told that there is a multiple re-entry visa available. I agree with you that if the OP is planning on coming and going then the visa exempt route is probably the best way to go. However, I can see that it could cause some inconvenience.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Just go with the free 30 days and make trips to HK ect . With every entry trough the airport you get another 30 days .

Keep in mind , landborders are only 15 days .

The officials won't be a problem . Have a friend who's is coming in every month for 1 week on the 30 days visa on

arrival . He's doing this for 2 years already , never any question asked .

I think there is a rule regarding the 30 day entry that says you must not spend more than six months in any twelve month period in LOS.

So ok to come and go until six months in country adds up but you may find you are then restricted on coming back for a time.

I actually had an Immigration Officer add up the periods of stay in my Passport on one occasion.

I think there is a rule regarding the 30 day entry that says you must not spend more than six months in any twelve month period in LOS.

So ok to come and go until six months in country adds up but you may find you are then restricted on coming back for a time.

I actually had an Immigration Officer add up the periods of stay in my Passport on one occasion.

I do not think there are currently any such restrictions. There was a couple of years ago but they changed the policy. Perhaps your experience was during that period?

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

This was cancelled after they changed the land borders to 15 days, you can have as many 30 day entries as there is room on your passport.

This was cancelled after they changed the land borders to 15 days, you can have as many 30 day entries as there is room on your passport.

Then that's the OP's best option. No need to get into retirement visas and transfering money into Thai banks...no need for re-entry visas...way to go

Hi all...

I appreciate all the feedback. Guess for now the route would be the exempt visa option. Next problem will be to find an apartment in bkk that will allow me to rent for 6months on an exempt visa. I hear many would require more of a 60-90day visa at least? Would that be true?

Hi all...

I appreciate all the feedback. Guess for now the route would be the exempt visa option. Next problem will be to find an apartment in bkk that will allow me to rent for 6months on an exempt visa. I hear many would require more of a 60-90day visa at least? Would that be true?

Why not start on a 60 day tourist visa? They are easy to get before you leave home and you would not have to go anywhere for 90 days as you can get an extension.

Hi all...

You usually have to pay a 1 or 2 month deposit so I am sure most places could care less what kind of visa you have. Where did you hear they require that?

thx ohyesuare.... will do my research. cant remember who told me... must have been some drunken conversation.

cheers

• 4 weeks later...

You should also try considering to acquire for a multiple entry visa, if possible. Thing is that would cost you additional charges to do so but hassle-free on your part. Goodluck with it :)