Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Going to Thailand on 1way flight?

mrchill

Is this possible, if you havea a visa. Or do they still reuqire you to have a return flight?

Also, is it possible to have a 60 day visa and then also have a fligh say bangkok to some chap nearby country say Phom Penh booked in advance rather than retun flight to UK.

eg,.

Can you either

1. Fly in with no outgoing flights booked

2. Fly in and show a flight to some neighbourign country (this has to be within 60 days off arival date or 90 due to possible extension?)

Edited by mrchill

They never looked at my flight stuff (both when i applied for 60 day tourist visa, and when i arrived and got the visa stamped). I didn't even have any flight booked when i applied for my tourist visa.

Edited by schmitty

They never looked at my flight stuff (both when i applied for 60 day tourist visa, and when i arrived and got the visa stamped). I didn't even have any flight booked when i applied for my tourist visa.

right thats for purchasing the visa at home before you go?

BUt to board the flight at airport they dont enquire or check for return flight? Nor at arrival in Bangkok airport? They only check the visa not flights?

Is this possible, if you havea a visa. Or do they still reuqire you to have a return flight?

Also, is it possible to have a 60 day visa and then also have a fligh say bangkok to some chap nearby country say Phom Penh booked in advance rather than retun flight to UK.

eg,.

Can you either

2. Fly in and show a flight to some neighbourign country (this has to be within 60 days off arival date or 90 due to possible extension?)

Just googled and found this

ONE WAY Ticket into THAILAND .. En less you have a Thailand work permit or a multi entry Thailand Visa the airlines wont allow you to board your flight to Thailand with out a departure ticket from Thailand. IT is the airline that will ask you this question in the hope that they can sell you an EXPENSIVE return flight home BEFORE they let you board the flight to Thailand. The Thai Immigration / customs office will seldom ever ask you about a return ticket out of Thailand . To get around this issue you can buy a cheap one way flight >> Phuket to Bali, Phuket to Singapore or Phuket to KL Malaysia for approx $75 - $100 one way.

Book flights online @ www.airasia.com

Are you feeling Lucky ??? 90% chance you will be told by the airline that you need to purchase a return flight out of Thailand when you check in to board your flight. To save any last minute panic you might want to consider buying a flight in advance or If you have a credit card & iphone you can purchase a flight online at the airport. Cheapest option for departure flight from Thailand is >> Phuket to KL Malaysia >> Phuket to Singapore >> Book online @ www.airasia.com

http://www.thailandmuaythai.com/moreinfo/thai-visa.html

Last time I entered LOS was on a one way ticket.

I was a bit concerned due to resons previously posted, but figured I would argue thus:

Do you know that Thailand shares borders with FIVE countries?

Therefore, how hard is it to get across one of those borders, without a flight.

Therefore, aren't you exposing corruption within the Air Travel Industry by insisting I have a return, or onward flight booking?

Just googled and found this

ONE WAY Ticket into THAILAND .. En less you have a Thailand work permit or a multi entry Thailand Visa the airlines wont allow you to board your flight to Thailand with out a departure ticket from Thailand. IT is the airline that will ask you this question in the hope that they can sell you an EXPENSIVE return flight home BEFORE they let you board the flight to Thailand. The Thai Immigration / customs office will seldom ever ask you about a return ticket out of Thailand . To get around this issue you can buy a cheap one way flight >> Phuket to Bali, Phuket to Singapore or Phuket to KL Malaysia for approx $75 - $100 one way.

Book flights online @ www.airasia.com

Are you feeling Lucky ??? 90% chance you will be told by the airline that you need to purchase a return flight out of Thailand when you check in to board your flight. To save any last minute panic you might want to consider buying a flight in advance or If you have a credit card & iphone you can purchase a flight online at the airport. Cheapest option for departure flight from Thailand is >> Phuket to KL Malaysia >> Phuket to Singapore >> Book online @ www.airasia.com

http://www.thailandm.../thai-visa.html

With so if I have a multi entry tourist visa it doesnt matter at all? I will buy a multi entry visa I imagine.

I was a bit concerned due to resons previously posted, but figured I would argue thus:

Therefore, aren't you exposing corruption within the Air Travel Industry by insisting I have a return, or onward flight booking?

so its not a legal requirement?

With so if I have a multi entry tourist visa it doesnt matter at all? I will buy a multi entry visa I imagine.

so its not a legal requirement?

Don't know, all I can tell you is I wasn't asked at the airport in Oz, nor in LOS.

I had a monumental run in with Emirates out of Gatwick about 6 years ago after turning up with no tourist visa and the return portion of a BKK-GTW-BKK ticket....

Had to sign an indemnity before they let me fly...........as always immigration never ask and 30 day stamp as always.

If you are refused entry at a land crossing they simply wont let you in.

If you fly, the airline is responsible for flying you back to where ever you came from and receive a fine from the government for flying you in the first place, costing them money. In practice, this rarely happens unless perhaps you check in with a one way ticket and no visa. Most people are never asked for a return ticket because they have one and the airline check in staff can see this on your booking record (PNR) and don't need to ask.

This is true of most countries but the rule varies depending on the country you are flying to and the strictness of the airline enforcing the rule.

Edited by The Big Lebowski

I just recently flew from Australia to Thailand for a 3 month holiday, no return flight, no Itinery to any of the surrounding countries etc. Never been asked by the airlines or customs, but, for some reason the travel agents always seem to think its not possible to travel without a return ticket. Ask them why, they dont know usually themselves. I've been going to Thailand regularly for 8 years and I've only bought a return ticket once ( The first time I went)

So, my advice

A) dont worry about the return ticket and if by some strange twist of fate you are asked about a return flight by immigration in thailand, just bullshit them and say you are going to Laos or Vietnam or Cambodia then home. Seriously, they just dont give 2 fucks about rich foreigners or

B) Buy a flexi ticket (Probly best option)

The rules regarding return tickets have rarely been enforced in Thailand - however as yesterday the government stated they are tightening up immigration they MAY be.

As others have said you are more likely to have a problem at check-in in your country of departure. They only know the "rules" they dont know the Thais rarely adhere to them. As a [previous poster said they also know they are responsible for flying you back if you were actually refused entry so they protect them themselves, quite naturally.

The "rule" is that your passport must have a minimum of 6 months top run AFTER your exit date. That means an exit date (technically) needs to be proven.

Many people have got away with it but would you want a ruined trip?? In many cases return flights are little more expensive than one way anyway.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

so at worst having a 40 quid flight from thailand to cambodia evidence would be adequate though? As long as it was within the 60-90 days of the visa?

Interesting, I have never been asked at either the airline check-in (eg Jetstar which just does point to point) or immigration.

Maybe its because I am such a hansum man? Or is it really only the money?

eg,.

Can you either

The comments that mention that the Thai airport authorities don't check your flight information is correct. My ticket has never been checked when I go through customs.

• 4 weeks later...

Last time I went to LOS it was on a 1-way ticket.

The only one that asked any questions were the airline check-in in Sweden. After some arguements the said it was up to me to try to get into the country. In Thai imigration there were no questions asked.

Same thing when I brought my TGF home. We got the VISA and everything was ok. However the people at check in at suvarnabhumi wouldn't let her on the plane without a return ticket. I managed to make an reservation for a ticket that you could pay or cancel for free within 48h and printed a copy to the bitch at checkin. In Sweden no one asked about the ticket.

What would you do if you plan to move to another country?

Just tell them you will cross a land border.

I've flew in on a one way with a single entry non-O.

Thai <-> English translations. 100% anonymous and confidential. Cheap rates. Paypal accepted. Email Lek on "[email protected]"

• 2 weeks later...

please remember if you are going one way only and you have purchased your ticket with a credit card for your insurance it is invalid as far as i know ,the insurance companies require a return ticket for coverage.

I had a return ticket UK to Bangkok last time but was also going to Manila in-between for a week. The Cebu pacific people at the check in insisted that I also had a print out of my return manila to bangkok flight to prove I wasn't going to stay in Manila indefinitely. Almost missed the flight 'cos of this.

• 1 month later...

The 60 day visa with ongoing to Cambodia seems the best and most popular way - or take your chances. It's the airline in your home country that requires onward travel - never checked once you arrive in Thailand ( that I know of).

Call your airline - many many have reported having to buy onward travel in order to board.

Condo for Rent starting Feb 2013 @ View Talay 1B 8,000 Bt long term.

https://sites.google.com/site/viewtalay1b/home

We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves.

• 2 months later...

I've ONLY ever bought one way tickets to Thailand.

Was questioned once about it at the Emirates tickets counter when departing home by a guy who certainly didn't look like he worked for the company, both in terms of not having a uniform or logo visible, and by his demeanor. He seemed like a Customs or Police guy to me. Why he was working there, who knows? The post 9/11 hysteria is still going strong. The fact that I got 20 questions only added to my suspicion. I just told him I was going to Cambodia overland after my 30 days in Thailand was up, and there was no problem.

In an age of E-tickets, I'm not sure how anyone else on the chain would have any knowledge of your ticket situation.

Travel agents have pulled this 'you can't buy one way tickets', but it is just a ploy to try and get you to buy flights through them. I've been to more than 30 countries and have never been asked about tickets out of a country, except the one time with Emirates, in my own country. Never been asked upon landing, which is where you think they would ask. Other than an 'around the world' ticket, I've never bought return flights anywhere.

If you really want to make sure you don't have anything to worry about, go onto a website for a bus ticket or even a flight out of there, fill out the form without sending it, and print it out and carry it with your passport when you touch down, so you can show if asked.

As far as your second question, last time I came to Thailand, I came in on a one way ticket for 30 days, flew to Penang and got a 60 day tourist visa. No problems, was never asked about return tickets, never had one on the 2 entries to Thailand.

Edited by nerkenstein

... as nerkenstein, I've traveled many, many times on a one-way ticket into Thailand from the US ... since 1997, I've probably done that 30+ times, and was prevented from boarding but once.

... the United Airlines check-in agent in Seattle had the timerity to withold from me a boarding pass ... despite my best efforts, this old battle axe was totally unrelenting ... (arguing that UA was on the hook for the ticket to fly me out of Thailand if I am prevented by Thai Immigration from entry, and that her name would be noted as the person who checked me in ... a reasonable concern).

... I simply bought an exhorbitantly priced fully refundable one-way ticket back from BKK, returned to check-in and she then allowed me through ... (probably knowing my very next call would be to cancel the return ticket).

... I think I cancelled that return ticket before I even boarded the plane ... silly, but the arbitary enforcement Thai rules makes problems for the "by the book only" farang who administer them.

... being rejected because you have no return ticket seems to me a 100-1 long shot ... and easily solved ... and this was in about 1999, so paperless ticketing and automatic check-in might make this problem moot.

Hunter S. Thompson Insert.jpg

... as nerkenstein, I've traveled many, many times on a one-way ticket into Thailand from the US ... since 1997, I've probably done that 30+ times, and was prevented from boarding but once.

... the United Airlines check-in agent in Seattle had the timerity to withold from me a boarding pass ... despite my best efforts, this old battle axe was totally unrelenting ... (arguing that UA was on the hook for the ticket to fly me out of Thailand if I am prevented by Thai Immigration from entry, and that her name would be noted as the person who checked me in ... a reasonable concern).

... I simply bought an exhorbitantly priced fully refundable one-way ticket back from BKK, returned to check-in and she then allowed me through ... (probably knowing my very next call would be to cancel the return ticket).

... I think I cancelled that return ticket before I even boarded the plane ... silly, but the arbitary enforcement Thai rules makes problems for the "by the book only" farang who administer them.

... being rejected because you have no return ticket seems to me a 100-1 long shot ... and easily solved ... and this was in about 1999, so paperless ticketing and automatic check-in might make this problem moot.

You're right. Its a long shot to get caught out, especially if you are from a country that don't typically overstay permanently in Thailand.

The check in agent would get in trouble if you were refused entry, as the airline would have to fly you home and would be heavily fined. Paperless ticketing doesn't necessarily sove this issue though, as every passenger that travels is linked to a PNR which is made available to travel agents, airlines and immigration officials.

Anyway, as stated, unless you are high risk for staying (Indian, Nigerian....?), it's barely an issue. I too have been pulled up once, in perhaps 20 odd trips.

Like all sorts of things in Thailand, it is absolutely forbidden, but no one really cares if you do it. I've been doing it for thirty years and have never once been questioned by any airline or by immigration.