Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Canterbury Tales Cafe Review

nickto21

I was in Pattaya the first two weeks of 2012. I stayed in a Canterbury Tales Cafe room my entire stay.

Pros:

1.English breakfast is good.

2.You can smoke at the outside tables.

3.All the staff are really nice.

4.The cafe is also a bookstore. I didn't have to look hard for copies of standard first trip books, ie Private Dancer.

5.Rooms are spacious. Most of the rooms have balconies.

6.Felt comfortable just hanging out here. Not too big, nor too small of an establishment.

7. Accomodating. I showed up without a reservation, and after a little checking, got a room.

8.Dave , the owner, is a nice guy. BTW, Dave, has my cavair come in yet? :hello09:

9. It seems like a tolerant place. There's an article pasted on the cafe's bathroom wall about gay rights, and alot of other articles,posters about different things,too.. I also took a ladyboy back to my room without a second thought.

10. It's a pretty secure place. After 8pm, the cafe closes, and you have to use a backdoor that requires a key. I stayed in the main building though. Don't know about the other buildings.

11.Rooms are cleaned every other day, thoroughly. They also have safes. I never had any thought of the staff stealing anything, or anything like that.

12. They'll do your laundry. Just hand it in, get back next day.

13. I think I had the nicest room, #15, most of the time, for 700baht/night (high season).

Cons:

Just a couple little things.

1.They don't have jam (just marmalade) with the breakfast.

2.There's nothing on the menu that's American food. Place across the street serves burgers, though.

3. The bar next door is kind of annoying. Plays music way too loud. Once in my room, it wasn't bad though.

Lots of good stuff, and just a couple small things that are acceptable. I will probably stay here again in the future.

Rating 9/10

Steve

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't remember the number of the room a buddy stayed in but the floor went up and down when ever you moved around, you could also see in to the room next door by looking over a plywood divider. He also stayed in a room across the road. Unfortunately the floor wasn't level here - kept rolling out of bed hehe Each to their own I guess. Dave seems a nice bloke, regarding the rooms, you get what you pay for. Would I recommend it, even for a fiver a night Mmmm..

Can't remember the number of the room a buddy stayed in but the floor went up and down when ever you moved around, you could also see in to the room next door by looking over a plywood divider. He also stayed in a room across the road. Unfortunately the floor wasn't level here - kept rolling out of bed hehe Each to their own I guess. Dave seems a nice bloke, regarding the rooms, you get what you pay for. Would I recommend it, even for a fiver a night Mmmm..

:Agree: Stayed there myself... There is nothing to complain about, Maybe somebody, Like Soi Sauce said You get what you pay for..I was comfortable there even though i was in agony with a broken elbow for three weeks... Thanks Dave for a nice welcome ....

A BIT ott mate, no where you can see into other rooms or neither any floors not level, its not the ritz as mentioned but we do a lot to make sure all is well.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$AFBADGE.jpg

Not much to complain about Steve.

I guess that is the point. Not anything bad about the place. I felt I had to list my cons, though. It is a review, after all. Plus maybe Dave will eventually decide to buy some Jam instead of Marmalade. What the hell is marmalade, anyways? LOL

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

i also stayed at the Canterbury Tales in february and was planning to write something about it kind of as an answer to a review from some newbie member flaming the place to the ground, a review i read just before my trip started... It would be a bit silly to open a new thread so i hope the OP don't mind using this thread.

The rooms:

I've stayed at several due to the fact that i interrupted my stay in Patts with visits to BKK and Koh Chang. I've found them big, comfortable, clean and overall better than i expected. I don't know anymore how much i payed for each single room, but i never payed over 600 baht high season. The pics are not retouched ( one of that newbie's critics) what you see is what you get, minus my mess that's laying around.

thailand feb 2011 040.jpg

thailand feb 2011 041.jpg

thailand feb 2011 042.jpg

thailand feb 2011 043.jpg

thailand feb 2011 223.jpg

thailand feb 2011 224.jpg

thailand feb 2011 225.jpg

thailand feb 2011 235.jpg

Some balcony views of the soi

thailand feb 2011 070.jpg

thailand feb 2011 054.jpg

view from the terrace

thailand feb 2011 230.jpg

The area:

Its just a minute walk to Soi LK Metro, Buakow and Soi Diana, yet its a bit more quiet in Chayapoon. There are also some really cheap bars ( 45 baht a beer and 2 for 80 baht in the afternoon) like barbies, Triangle bar is a good place to hang out late at night

thailand feb 2011 236.jpg

thailand feb 2011 237.jpg

There are a lot of massagesalons in the soi, but that's not really my cup of tea, i enjoy the sight though.

A bit further down the soi you have ' Pon's bar' , didn't saw it was a ladyboy bar till i walked in but i enjoyed the place, very laid back, not expensive and some of the 'girls' are a real challenge to play pool with.

thailand feb 2011 227.jpg

thailand feb 2011 057.jpg

thailand feb 2011 058.jpg

one of the waitresses

thailand feb 2011 059.jpg

The local pool championnette and the guy that lost the game

thailand feb 2011 060.jpg

Back to Canterbury Tales.....

The breakfast:

Well, chips are indeed French fries in English and that's a bit heavy for me as a first meal. I did found the (75 baht) egg on toast with tea and orangjuice very tasty. Though, it would have even been better with jam instead of marmalade...

The bookshop:

They have lots of books in different languages, you can bring books from home or from another place and exchange them against new books which is handy. Dave is very helpfull in finding the books for you if you are too lazy to search them yourself.

Personal impressions and experiences at CT:

I was under the impression that Jaew ( don't know how to pronounce her name, it would be a miracle if its written correct:-) Dave's wife, is the one that really runs the guesthouse while Dave is chatting with the guests and taking care of his books. In that 'bad' review i've talked about earlier Jaew is discribed as being a bitch basicly, that is not my opinion, she is one of the most joyfull, honest and helpfull persons i've met, on top of it, she has some humour aswell.

Every problem was taking care of ASAP and with a smile, problems being, me messing up the tv-channels , empty batteries in the airco remote control and me not knowing how to use the safe........ and the next morning needing help to take out my belongings. If you need info, or order a taxi

When i booked i ordered 2 rooms and cancelled 1 while ending up showing up with a friend anyway. I've got upgraded and could stay at a better room for the same price, being honest i tried to explain the situation to Jaew saying it was actually my fault, she didn't want to hear about it, IT MUST HAVE BEEN DAVE'S MISTAKE 55555 i didn't complain anymore

The boy that works there is helpfull to carry your bags to the room etc.... yet he ( or nobody from the staff) is standing around begging for tips. When i did put some fair tip in the jar (with the upgrade and so) there was nobody from the staff around, the next day they came to thank me, i didn't really know what was going on untill Jaew called from behind her desk to say it was for the tip from yesterday. Call me silly, but than also show me the man who don't want the people he tip to know it was him.....

We made a trip to Koh Chang on our motorbikes and where my bag was supposed to be there was a girl sitting to join me, seeing the difficulties we had, we got offered to leave some of our luggage at the guesthouse free of charge.

Staff get treathed well and with respect from the patrons, being workingclass myself, that's a thing i always pay attention to. That was also the case with the girl i brought with me the last week. I only barfine girls i like, i find attitude and personallity more actractive than looks and i do have respect for them aswell, therefore i hate it if i walk in some place to spend my money and the girl i'm with is ignored as if she don't exist, sometimes they don't even pretend. At CT she was always taking care of, greeted in the same way i was, staff and patrons and even the regular customers alike. To show you how rare that is in Pattaya, after 2 days she mentioned: ' Hey, people here they really friendly, not same every place'

Actually i think that the last sentence, what the girl said, is the real reason i will be staying at CT again when i return in october for my next trip.

Thx again to the OP for using his thread

Andy

'There's an article pasted on the cafe's bathroom wall about gay rights, and alot of other articles,posters about different things,too.. I also took a ladyboy back to my room without a second thought.'

mmmmmmmmmm.............. :rolleyes: .....Im not sure what extra 'rights' poofs want......... but anyway......

Unless I ran a Gay bar.........which I did in Jomtien a few years ago......I certainly wouldnt be allowing two guys to kiss each other openly.... i would be telling them to pee off...I dont know about you lot....but i certainly wouldnt want to be eating breakfast .and see 2 blokes kissing each other.....................I am a poof myself.........mind you same with some old bloke and Thai girl.slobbering away.

But Dave /Canterbury Tales... is a Fair Dinkum sort of bloke....and believes everyone should be treated equally......and I will say..regardless if your a poof/wooly moof..straight...ladyboylover.......lesbian....yellow or green...he will welcome you and treat you with respect.

'There's an article pasted on the cafe's bathroom wall about gay rights, and alot of other articles,posters about different things,too.. I also took a ladyboy back to my room without a second thought.'

mmmmmmmmmm.............. :rolleyes: .....Im not sure what extra 'rights' poofs want......... but anyway......

Unless I ran a Gay bar.........which I did in Jomtien a few years ago......I certainly wouldnt be allowing two guys to kiss each other openly.... i would be telling them to pee off...I dont know about you lot....but i certainly wouldnt want to be eating breakfast .and see 2 blokes kissing each other.....................I am a poof myself.........mind you same with some old bloke and Thai girl.slobbering away.

But Dave /Canterbury Tales... is a Fair Dinkum sort of bloke....and believes everyone should be treated equally......and I will say..regardless if your a poof/wooly moof..straight...ladyboylover.......lesbian....yellow or green...he will welcome you and treat you with respect.

What about Big, Fat, Bald, Fuckers with Tat's ?????

:WhoSaw1:

if you are Looking to rent an apartment in a condo take a look at my website.

http://www.condopattaya-rent.com

I agree with andy666's review.

Canterbury tales is good especially for first timers needing a bit of guidance from a friendly and helpful expat (AKA Dave the sharpshooter) The place is not the Ritz nor does it ever claim to be. If your looking for a nice cheap guest house and you want Western type customer service its hard to beat Caterbury.

Of course it is not everyones cup of tea but for us working class folks its a real winner. I really enjoy heading to daves for a nice all day breakfast which is great value and get a chance to site down with plent of other english guys and jsut talk crap. Theres not many places that can offer this sort "english cafe" type of atmosphere.

What is best about dave is show him respect and he will treat you with the same respect and there isnt much you cannot ask him about as he has been in thailand a long time and knows the best and worst places to head and avoid and is only too happy to help out with advice.

Also to the cock who called daves wife a bitch..... go fuck yourself. She is by a long way the most helpful thai mangeress i have come accross in thailand. And she doesnt do thing the thai way she does them daves way. Problem with my coffee No Poplem not pay. I want bread and butter not the toast that came with my meal no poplem bread and extra coffee arrived without a second thought. and things like when i ask not to have the orange juice with the breakfast i get an automatic upgrade of coffee to cappucino. And she does all this without any prompting from dave as he wasnt their either of the times.

Basically Canterbury tales, great place, great price, great service. Just watch out for a dodgy (made in thailand)safe that keeps beeping all night hahaha. no poplem open batteries no more beeping.

"There's plenty more prostitutes in Pattaya" ©2012™

"Only Newbies go home when planned" ©2012

"I don't run a gogo, i run a dance academy" Â©2014

"Sauna and milkshakes a winning combination" Â©2015

Facebook Group ::: Pattaya Bar Crawls and Parties

if you want to enjoy a english breakfast of inferior quality and a nice moody ignorant owner you only need to step next door(not the ladyboy hairdresser next door but one) to crazy daves he will be happy to ignore you while you try and ask his wife questions only to have her turn around ask him and he will just ignore her too.

What about Big, Fat, Bald, Fuckers with Tat's ?????

:WhoSaw1:

No problem, i was welcome.....

if you want to enjoy a english breakfast of inferior quality and a nice moody ignorant owner you only need to step next door(not the ladyboy hairdresser next door but one) to crazy daves he will be happy to ignore you while you try and ask his wife questions only to have her turn around ask him and he will just ignore her too.

+1

No problem, i was welcome.....

Andy, Thanks for the reply I already knew the answer I was looking to wind up a few BM.

I passed there yesterday it was full (all seats taken) It would seem all the bullshit posted on Secrets (were he is not a member so can not respond) has not had the desired affect of the posters.

:Oops3:

if you are Looking to rent an apartment in a condo take a look at my website.

http://www.condopattaya-rent.com

See you next week Dave! The breakfast and the Fish 'n chips at CT are absolute value for money as are the rooms.

Jeab (spell?) is a great host, always nice to talk to and is an efficient manager. I'm sad to see crap being written about nice people...

Thanks guys, yes guys who know me know I am just one of the lads and enjoy the friends I have made and all the friends I will make in the future, some of the jealous fools on the other forum who slag me and my business off who also know I am not a member there, are just gutless idiots with failing businesses, laughable really, I like the one where I bought my wife a Merc to keep her quiet as she caught me with a ladyboy, what a tosser, but he knows he is a tosser and he dont have the balls to put it on here so hay ho.

See you all soon.

Thanks guys, yes guys who know me know I am just one of the lads and enjoy the friends I have made and all the friends I will make in the future, some of the jealous fools on the other forum who slag me and my business off who also know I am not a member there, are just gutless idiots with failing businesses, laughable really, I like the one where I bought my wife a Merc to keep her quiet as she caught me with a ladyboy, what a tosser, but he knows he is a tosser and he dont have the balls to put it on here so hay ho.

See you all soon.

Damm i only had to buy TIP a moped 1 sheep just 1 Fuxxxx Sheep a well see ya in 3 weeks

+1

Maybe he's deaf................. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: ....... is his name Bob......He's a English guy......use to work in Australia .....same guy

Hey Billy get back here I need a day off......

I have never stayed as a guest at CT, but often eat my breakfast there and sometimes just hang out to read and have a drink. I too would like to chime in and say what a great place it is. The one time I got to chat with Daveo, he was really nice to me and helped me with a few questions, and even pointed out a girl across the street who is also a Newcastle supporter. Great spot in Pattaya.

LM

See you all soon.

i also will need a new merc to buy my silence about that other gang of ladyboys i caught you with and have HD photo and video evidence.......

seriously tho i will settle for a nice Toyota Hi-lux.

Keep up the good work i will be requiring daily breakfasts in the very near future i hope you havent let the quality slip matey :) :) :)

I do love reading the posts on the Secrets forum......about this place........I didnt realise you also owned the jetski's Daveo.

They don't have jam (just marmalade) with the breakfast.

Well, that is a deal breaker. How can you stay at a place with no jam, only marmalade?

We used to offer the jam but very rare anyone wanted it so we stopped buying it.

Archived