IGNORED

Auto-gates at Suvarnabhumi Airport

7-Eleven

BANGKOK: -- Immigration Bureau will start using auto-gates at Suvarnabhumi Airport for Thai passengers from April.

Immigration Division II commander, Pol Maj Gen Natthathorn Prohsunthorn, told TTR Weekly that by the end of March, or early April, the Immigration Bureau will switch to auto-gates to speed up the clearance of Thai passengers.

“Passengers will pass through a gate to verify the passport whether it is authorised by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Then they will move on to the next machine to verify identity, whether they are the same person in the passport by finger scan, check criminal records and related information.”

The commander claims a processing time of just 16 seconds. Eight gates will be deployed at departure and arrival zones (two each at zones B and C).

In 2010 Immigration Division II tested the system at Suvarnabhumi Airport’s arrival checkpoints using machines borrowed from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Pol Maj Gen Natthathorn also said that Immigration Division II would tackle staff shortage with a new recruitment drive, but it is a long term plan over three to five years.

“Passengers increase by 10% annually and that means we need 355 officers for all checkpoints,” he explained.

The division has 1,148 officers on the payroll, 164 short of the required workforce.

It lost 98 officers, this month, who were promoted to commissioned officers and transferred to other departments. Another 127 officers will be away on training later this month for a month and return to the division afterwards.

“To temporarily solve this shortage, we have asked for more officers to be transferred from overland immigration checkpoints, but there are language issues that need to be considered,” he said.

Suvarnabhumi Airport has 124 counters at the arrivals area and 80 in the departures hall. Around 60% of the counters are operational.

Last year, Suvarnabhumi Airport received 35 million international passengers (Thais and foreigners).

Don't think this is a good thing, what happens if you are married or have children or both, before I always went through customs via the Thai section with the wife now I will have to join the western section which will add more poeple to that and slow that down even more

CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW FOR FULL DETAILS & COSTS

Building A House In The Village

CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW FOR FULL DETAILS & COSTS

Getting Married In The Village & Bringing Her To The UK

i always use the Thai section of Immigration...

never been told to go and use the western section

Dayo...

Suvarnabhumi is one of the coolest airports in world. (After HKG, Changi, Incheon and Barajas), but immigration is horrible if you dont have fasttrack.

Don't think this is a good thing, what happens if you are married or have children or both, before I always went through customs via the Thai section with the wife now I will have to join the western section which will add more poeple to that and slow that down even more

Like in other countries that use the auto-gate system I am sure they will also have some Thai-only normal counters.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Slightly off topic, Where is the Fasttrack in the arrival immigration hall? Ive not been able to note any "Fasttrack" areas in either hall.....

Jan 2011, I was fresh meat for the grinder...no longer the fresh meat....but I love the grinder

"Anyway, up to me, yes?" - Photog88 - Nov 2010

"If Im going to Disneyland ......................... I want to go on all the rides" - The_Gun Nov 2011

"Up to you.....your money" Thai gogo girl whispering in my ear encouraging me to choose her over her "sister"...... October 2011

Ash

• 2 weeks later...

there is only 1 fasttrack in arrivals and its at the last counter of the 2nd set of counters.there is no fasttrack in departures which pisses me off because i fly bus class.

there is only 1 fasttrack in arrivals and its at the last counter of the 2nd set of counters.there is no fasttrack in departures which pisses me off because i fly bus class.

Really ? I use centre aisle between to arrivals for Fast Track when arriving and Flying Biz and Departing use far Left Area that says Fastrack Aircrew !!!

Am I mistaken and been Q jumping then ? Oops 55555

Really ? I use centre aisle between to arrivals for Fast Track when arriving and Flying Biz and Departing use far Left Area that says Fastrack Aircrew !!!

Am I mistaken and been Q jumping then ? Oops 55555

You are not mistaken, this is where i have been directed and used when flying Business....

Jan 2011, I was fresh meat for the grinder...no longer the fresh meat....but I love the grinder

"Anyway, up to me, yes?" - Photog88 - Nov 2010

"If Im going to Disneyland ......................... I want to go on all the rides" - The_Gun Nov 2011

"Up to you.....your money" Thai gogo girl whispering in my ear encouraging me to choose her over her "sister"...... October 2011

Ash

You are not mistaken, this is where i have been directed and used when flying Business....

Thought so was getting a bit confused then 55555

Oh yes there is! It's marked "Premium Lane" and you can access with a coupon from your airline, or buy access from one of the many suppliers.

...but immigration is horrible if you dont have fasttrack.

No generalization please. I use to arrive Bangkok around 1pm-3pm and rarely find more than 2 or 3 people in front of me in immigration queues. Up to now I always arrived at baggages reception area before my bag arrive on the belt, so I really don't see the point at paying for a fast-track.