IGNORED

Thai food checklist

elcaballero7

Hey gents for my first trip I would like to eat atleast one thai meal a day. I have only eaten thai food here in the states and I love it. If anyone can recommend any dishes and locations that would be great. Oh i dont think id like to eat the bugs due to pesticides and whatnot but I love all types of food especially spicy ones. One question I have is: I have read that thai menu's can be several pages do they usually have english translations? thanks for the advice take care.

Ask any BG and they will not only tell you, but will take you there too. Here's my list

1. Larb moo - Minced pork salad

2. Namtok moo - Grilled pork salad

3. Kung Tan (Dancing shrimps) - Raw and live shrimp salad. Don't worry, these shrimps die after 5 mins

4. Tom Sap - Spicy pork soup

5. Koi Tiawo - Noodle soup

6. Kai Yaang - Bbq chicken

7. Tom yum kung - Spicy Prawn soup

8. Krapow Kai - Stir fried chicken with holy basil

9. Khao Paad Mamuang - Chicken curry with cashew nuts

10. Som Tam - Green Papaya salad

11. Moo yaang - Bbq pork

12. Krapow Kop - Stir fried frog with holy basil

13. Kaeng Kheaw Waan - Green curry

14. Kaeng Phet - Red curry

15. Masamman curry

16. Pad Thai.

Superb list! Has made me hungry just reading it

Most places will have the English equivilant wrote underneath each dish.

When you get off the beeten track and away from the touristy areas, that is when you either guess and hope your lucky or remember names like are given above

(I want a pad Thai right now!)

Posted Image

Ask any BG and they will not only tell you, but will take you there too. Here's my list

1. Larb moo - Minced pork salad

2. Namtok moo - Grilled pork salad

3. Kung Tan (Dancing shrimps) - Raw and live shrimp salad. Don't worry, these shrimps die after 5 mins

4. Tom Sap - Spicy pork soup

5. Koi Tiawo - Noodle soup

6. Kai Yaang - Bbq chicken

7. Tom yum kung - Spicy Prawn soup

8. Krapow Kai - Stir fried chicken with holy basil

9. Khao Paad Mamuang - Chicken curry with cashew nuts

10. Som Tam - Green Papaya salad

11. Moo yaang - Bbq pork

12. Krapow Kop - Stir fried frog with holy basil

13. Kaeng Kheaw Waan - Green curry

14. Kaeng Phet - Red curry

15. Masamman curry

16. Pad Thai.

Outstanding this is exactly what I've been searching for. Thank you. What do Thai eat for breakfast generally?

As any other places breakfast options vary, but most common are the foods that are mild in flavor.

Khao Man Kai - Rice cooked in chicken fat with boiled chicken which is usually served with chicken broth and mild sauce

Khao tom/Congee in vietnam/Boiled rice with broth and some meat

Jok - Rice porridge with whatever you want. I like it with half boiled egg and some chicken innards

Khao with Khai Dow - Rice with fried egg

tom kha gai sp ?

I ate many times best 3

1. linda bar Walking Street 90 bt inc rice (ladyboy bar but seen the menu and was starving.

2.. ordered in clinic bar soi 13 something they got from somewhere near about 100 baht inc rice

3. pattaya beer gaeden 160 baht inc rice

Thats for all the tasty suggestions guys. Im hoping to try as many of these dishes as I can. I was wondering is their avocado in Pattaya? I love avocado with pretty much everything.

If you haven't had mango with sticky rice for dessert, it is fantastic! The first time I had it was at Lobster Pot, one of the seafood places on Walking Street back in 2009 -- Thai girl I was with suggested it, and it's been a favorite of mine ever since.

I've had plenty of pad thai here in So Cal, but the best I've ever had was off of a street vendor cart in Pattaya -- costs like 50 baht, and she cooked it in the wok while I stood there. It was freakin' AMAZING. On prior trips, I was too skittish to try the food carts, but took the advice of many BMs on here and tried it my last trip and I was hooked!

Also, I have NO idea what it's called, but there were guys on Walking Street selling pieces of deep fried pork. They would scoop a bunch into a little plastic bag, again for next to nothing. Like tha pad thai, the pork was fantastic, and a nightly indulgence of mine while wandering WS!

Finally, if you go to the one of the seafood restaurants on Walking Street (which are expensive by Thai standards) with a girl, see if she wants to try to Irish coffee -- the Thai girl I was with loved it (I'm not a coffee drinker). They bring a cart over and put on this elaborate show while making it. Here's a YouTube video of the Irish coffee cart at Lobster Pot.

Sorry I am in America now and it took many years to find it here. So I will spell wrong. Pud sae you???? its fat noodles so easy to spot like Pud Thai. But, I find to be great meal. Never found it here in America as good on the street corner there. But, still trying.

Sorry I am in America now and it took many years to find it here. So I will spell wrong. Pud sae you???? its fat noodles so easy to spot like Pud Thai. But, I find to be great meal. Never found it here in America as good on the street corner there. But, still trying.

Very popular dish here in So Cal -- I believe it is spelled either "Pad See Ew" or "Pad Si Ew" (but according to Wiki, it is also known as "Phat Si Io")

Panang gai---------------------- Spicy coconut curried chicken

Pla neung prik manao----------Steamed whole fish with chilli and lime sauce

Yam neua-------------------------Spicy thai beef salad

Goong pad prik thai dam ------Stir fried prawns with garlic and black pepper

these are some of my personal favourites that haven't been mentioned, i like mine spicy but you can ask for mai pet(no spicy) or pet nidnoi(a little spicy)

made myself hungry just thinking of that lot :)