IGNORED

Google redirect virus.

BostonSteve

Leaning on the technical people of the forum. I have a google redirect virus. In a nut shell, anytime I use google for search it will redirect me to a pre determined site for income generation. I read up and heard they are pretty nasty and not much is out there to wipe them out.

I have Malware, Mcafee anti virus, and have run numerrous other scans to no avail. Any help on this one.

I am a fat kid in a sweet shop, I just cannot choose and want it all.

It's never worked for me when I have tried but you could try and revert to a restore point and see if that clears it up?

If it were me and that didn't work I would backup everything I needed to an external HDD and restore the lot... it's a bit of a pain and you ALWAYS forget to backup something that you need but it's like having a brand new PC once it's done. Many wouldn't agree though because its a drastic and time consuming exercise.

Is it specific to the browser you use? Might be worth trying another.

Edited to add: you could try and google the name of the site you are redirected to but pick the advice carefully... many sites will want you to buy software to remove it which is obviously what they are hoping for!

I think the browser thing is a good shout. Might not work but it is quick and simple. Most links are attached with explorer because it is the most popular and least secure from what i can understand. Try loading a different browser and deleting the one you have and try again. You can always reload the current browser later once the link is broken.

Thank you for the replies. From what I have researched, it is a virus that affects searches on google. If you search for something, say PA, when you click the link it goes to a site that gets paid for hits. I have not encountered anything that has killed my computer, it is just a real pain.

Up to date. I have tried restoring, it still pops up. I have run, malware, AVG, Spyware doctor, Mcafee, searching manually for any viruses. Not one of these have been able to find and eliminate the issue.

I ask that anyone who knows a hacker, strangle the bitch.

Norton 360 is what i use if your computer does not reconise something it asks you to allow. Its the best one i have used,

Like some other members suggested, probably problem is related to the browser you are using,

So if you are using Internet explore, try using a other browser, like firefox .... download link http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Then using google within firefox, and see if you still have the same problem ...

If size doesn't matter, why aren't there any four inch dildos ?

The most expensive sex in Pattaya, is when NO money is exchanged.

No, the browser is not the issue. I am using firefox, internet explorer is completely corrupt. Only firefox is available to allow me to get on line.

• 2 months later...

could be you have downloaded, while browsing, a script that redirects you every time you wanna goto some site.

Empty your history and temp internet files trough your explorer.

From an article in my local paper.....

Go to http://www.dcwg.org Click on "Detect"in the upper left corner, or on the green button next to it.

You will be directed to a new page. Pick your language from the list and click on the link next to it.

If you see a message with a red logo saying your computer appears to be infected, you will be directed to a new page. You will be directed to websites that will provide antivirus tools that cybersecurity experts have identified as being effective in removing the maleware

the websites also provide imformation on the case and the maleware.

I haven't checked my computer yet so I'm not sure if the fixes on the site work or not.

Here is the link to the fixes page.

http://www.dcwg.org/fix/

Edited by wetwillie

Used most of the anti -virus over the years, stuff like norton are good but seem to take over the pc, I now use microsoft security essentials. No virus of any kind and deletiion of trojans instantly.

I would run the malware, antivirus and anti-spyware. Then you run your registry cleaner.

AVG used to be very good but is now basically trying to sell you the upgraded version when you install the free version.

Norton 360 is the best antivirus i have used and very light weight compared to the older versions of norton. This used with spybot and malwarebytes(both free) will kill anything.

It does sound to me though you have downloaded something that is affecting IE because you can still use FF fine? If this is the case, forget them and just download chrome then thank me later.