Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Carrying Passport in Thailand!

sandman

I used to just carry a copy but since the Phrakanong bombings here in BKK I have been carrying the real thing when I go out at night. I carry it securely in my money belt in my pants, safely stashed inside a plastic bag so it doesn't get damp with sweat.

There is a frequent road block at Thong Lor (my taxi route home after a night out) where they pull foreigners out of cabs and give them the once over. I wouldn't want to not have my passport if that shit happened.

• 3 weeks later...

I just added this to my to do list. I have not had any issues but better to be safe than sorry. I love this forum!

Find someone who you can love like crazy and who'll love you the same way back. You have to try, because if you haven't tried, you haven't lived. - Meet Joe Black

Until Then......

www.dancewatchers.com

http://www.devilsdenthailand.com

http://www.lolitapattaya.com/

It is 100% a legal requirement. However as many have said very few carry it and its rare to be asked for it.

There is a simple solution, if you can be bothered.

Immigration Office in Jomtien will sell you a credit card sized laminated copy and, most importantly, they endorse it. Costs 40 Baht. It is double sided, one side your main passport page the other your date of entry/exit etc.

It is (apparently) compliant - whether it would get past a pedantic BiB is debatable though as they are probably unaware of its existence.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

Get a Thai driving license good as ID accepted everywhere

Get a Thai driving license good as ID accepted everywhere

I also only carry my drivers licenses, but it is not the same as a drivers license doesn't show your immigration status.

It is 100% a legal requirement. However as many have said very few carry it and its rare to be asked for it.

There is a simple solution, if you can be bothered.

Immigration Office in Jomtien will sell you a credit card sized laminated copy and, most importantly, they endorse it. Costs 40 Baht. It is double sided, one side your main passport page the other your date of entry/exit etc.

It is (apparently) compliant - whether it would get past a pedantic BiB is debatable though as they are probably unaware of its existence.

Thanks for this tip.

I just have to go to the office with my passport and they'll do the job ? or do i need to bring color copy? I ask cause 40 bht with an official stamp is less expensive than the laminate copy the random shop are doing.

• 2 weeks later...

It is 100% a legal requirement.

Where is that requirement laid down and what are the penalties for not doing so? A fine? Imprisonment? What?

its good, i think i would carry a copy of my passport from next time onwards ,as i havent done that so far and I put the original one in either locker of the hotel room or reception ( dont like it to leave it at the reception though) or keep it locked in the bag back in the hotel room...

I have never heard of anyone being arrested for not having their passport on them, I myself have been stopped at various checks over the 7 odd years I have been here and never had my passport on me and had no problems, although I used to carry a copy credit card size and now have the Thai drivers licence which carries your passport number.

Agreed I likewise have had no problems without carrying any ID on repeated occasions, except when driving the car where I normally but not always have the IDP and normal licence on me.....

Where is that requirement laid down and what are the penalties for not doing so? A fine? Imprisonment? What?

You're worrying far too much........

No one ends up in the Slammer for just not having their Passport on them. If anyone retorts here that they know someone who was, then you can bet your bottom Dollar that they were abusive rude or cheeky to immigration or Plod......

Just tell whomever politely its within the hotel Safe and you'll go with them right now, to go and get it......

99.99% you'll be on your way......

You're worrying far too much........

Joe,

I'm not in the least bit worried. However, if there is a "law" that says you must carry your passport at all times, I'd like to know where it's actually laid down. I'd assume in the Immigration Act 2522, but I've not seen the requirement spelled out in that Act. I'd appreciate if somebody could point me in the right direction ... "'cos Joe on Adix says so" isn't going to cut it with Cpl Somchai. :hello09:

Joe,

I'm not in the least bit worried. However, if there is a "law" that says you must carry your passport at all times, I'd like to know where it's actually laid down. I'd assume in the Immigration Act 2522, but I've not seen the requirement spelled out in that Act. I'd appreciate if somebody could point me in the right direction ... "'cos Joe on Adix says so" isn't going to cut it with Cpl Somchai. :hello09:

Point taken but for example every foreign national should carry their passports within holiday islands in Europe.......

It just doesn't happen. Any minor penalty given for not carrying a passport will be way less than trying to replace it if you lose the damn thing.....

Mine stays in the hotel or house at all times unless driving the car....

Edited by Joe_Le_Force

When living in Thailand & you renew your UK passport by post to Hongkong the FCO state as you must carry your passport when in Thailand a photo copy of your passport is ok for the renewal dont send your old passport

When living in Thailand & you renew your UK passport by post to Hongkong the FCO state as you must carry your passport when in Thailand a photo copy of your passport is ok for the renewal dont send your old passport

Do you have a link? My FCO Guidance Notes state:

"It is not advised to be without your original passport in Thailand",

Big difference.

Edited by filibuster

I have made 11 trips to LOS and I've never carried my Passport with me. I've been stopped by the police in the NorthEast and when asked for my home Country I answered USA. The Officer got surprised and told the others I was US and they said ok. You can go . No problem. They were looking for Cambodians.

Fco.gov.uk/travel-advice-by-country/asia states by law you must carry your passport at all times when in Thailand, thats why you dont have to send your old passport for renewal & it states Thailand is an exception. Thai nationals are required by law to carry an ID card so cant see other nationalities being exempt from carrying any form of ID by law

Edited by M.C.H.

• 1 month later...

Good idea, might scan my passport and convert to pdf and keep on mobile.

Is this still acceptable though? thought you also had to have a copy of the entry stamp.?

been doing that since 2002 for all important documents. Like you've adequately put, never lost and always available everywhere.

Scan your passport into your computer and them send it to yourself in an email. That way it's always available everywehere.

_____

You don't pay a whore to fuck her, you pay her to leave you alone in the morning.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am unclear on one important point. Is it mandatory that a foreign national have his Passport on his person in Thailand? I read on Thai-Anxiety that, during the recent Police raids of bars, customers who did not have their "ID's" were arrested.

I am such a careless, forgetful person that I am reluctant to carry my Passport. I usually carry a photocopy of my Passport's identity page with a photocopy of the page with my current visa. Is this adequate "ID" for the Police? MANY THANX!

CHEERS!

I never carry it. I'm afraid to lose it. I keep copies of it in my wallet, and I've never had any problems. Been in raids at Tony's, Lucifer, ... And simply had to let the cops check my pockets and then send me on my way.