IGNORED

Aeroplane cabin luggage

pattayaoct

Hi,

Flying from the UK to Bangkok, I don't really want to hang about at the luggage carousel. Has anyone travelled with a suitcase on the plane and managed to put it in the top luggage compartment. Also is there a allowable size suitcase you can take on the cabin.

:Flying: Cheers

Most airlines will allow you to take the so-called 'overnighter' on board. This small suitcase fits in a space of 23x40x55cm (9x15.5x21.5in). I hate waiting for my bag after a flight so if I can't fit my stuff in that bag then it doesn't come with me. Some airlines also weigh your carryon. Mine has weighed up to 14kg so I have to be careful there. China Airlines allows only 7kg so I actually had to check my bag with them last time. Luckily I didn't wait long despite some short transfers.

Most recent trip report: Cambodia/Thailand/Myanmar 2012

You may try it, you may even get away with it. But no one will like you for it. Nothing worse than being held up on a plane by some numpty with a f*cking dirty great big suit case.

Leave it to the ladies

No affence meant

Rather than a Suitcase Mate which I think you have No Feckin chance of taking on board unless it is with Airline Standard Size maybe think about a Soft Rucksack. You know the ones' I mean that the Hippy Brigade use.

Bear in mind you will of course have restrictions on Fluids taken on Board. Toothpaste, Aftershave, Hair wax are just a few that spring to mind.

Case on average take no more than Half an Hour to be on the Belt and making there way on arrival in Bangers.

By the time you have done your long walk, cleared Customs, changed Monies, had a Piss etc, that Case is not far off arriving Mate

Forget this, you will almost certainly be asked to check it unless you travel very very light, which is possible, but difficult. Airlines tell you size and weight allowances so you can check this before you book.

I've never waited more than about 10 mins, often less, sometimes waiting for you, when flying in to BKK from the UK, so can't see the point really.

You are much more likely to get stuck on a long wait at immigration than the carousel.

Yes, I've found baggage services at Bkk pretty efficient and most times by the time you clear immigration it will be there already. If not, I'm sure a 5-10 minute wait wont impact on your trip too much.

I bought this...

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Longhaul-Scorpius-Hard-Rollercase-Small/dp/B003ZUQJWU?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_11&nodeId=43961030&sr=1-11&qid=1328228475&pf_rd_r=03FD2JRFE8Z9X7SENGD7&pf_rd_m=A2BO0OYVBKIQJM&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=546277031&pf_rd_p=215570647&pf_rd_s=related-items-3

Just within the hand luggage size regulation on Emirates for Business Class and pisses everyone else off as they wait for me to load it into the overhead bin.... Perfect.

I always travel light when going to LOS, a small carry on bag up to 7 kgs with some decent jeans and shirts for the evenings and thats about it, all the other stuff like toothpaste, razers, daywear, etc I buy from the market or Big C on the first full day after getting into Pattaya it costs next to fuck all for all that shit so why bother lugging it all the way from home.

Also I am not a camera, laptop or phone person when on holiday so all that stuff stays at home, the main reason I travel like this is not to save time hanging around the carousel although that is a bonus, but some 8 years ago my suitcase never arrived in the baggage hall it stayed on the Eva Air flight to its next stop.

It left me having to hang around in Bangkok for three days waiting for its return with nothing more than my passport and wallet in my hand, completely fuck up my plans as they wanted me to leave the keys for the suitcase with them so they could clear customs with it and deliver it to my hotel when it returned, as there was a few thing of value in the case I though better of this said that I collect it myself once they located it and any seach of the case would have to been done in front of me, no way was I going to trust the thieving bastards at Thai Customs with the keys to my suitcase.

After that trip the penny dropped, Why oh Why bring so much stuff, travel light and keep it by my side its worked great for me ever since.

I still can't understand why people have to travel with suitcases.

1 spare shirt, 1 spare underwear, laptop, passport and credit card. That's all needed to go to Pattaya and is allready too much to carry. Why bringing a £2 toothpaste when you can buy a £0.05 one in Pat?

I'm really getting bothered by people having loads of bags in the cabin, building big queues at the security check as they never follow the rules and never take out what has to be taken out BEFORE getting to the checks (laptop, liquids), and then bothering everybody again when boarding as they never have enough space to put their stufs.

Carryon saves so much fucking around. I see some people (mostly women) who seem to need to empty the house into their luggage. FFS.

Thats one of my pet peeves. Seeing people with oversize luggage taking up all the space in the overhead bin. Get a carry on size bag. I never chack luggage but I can fit everytyhing I need for a two week vactaion in a carry on bag. the secret is only pack what you are going to use, and roll your clothes. They crease less and you can fit more in the bag. If you run out in Patts, there are plenty of cheap laundaries.

I fly Brisbane to BKK, Im off the plane in BKK at 2030 in my taxi by 2050 then pattaya by 2200 ready to party. First trip I did to BKK I went motocross riding took 40 mins for our bags to come off, this is not 40 mins from the plane but 40 mins from customs so I was at the airport for close to a hour.

Same trip on the way home from BKK Im off the plane at 12:05 and we almost miss our connecting flight at 14:30 because we got stuck behind the 100-200 people going through customs in Australia.

Now I fly with a carry on duffle bag that holds 4 shirts 2 shorts 4 underwear Ipad camera phone not only do it make my transfer from domestic to international in Australia easy which is a nice perk but the main reason is this.

I come back from BKK to BNE off the plane at 1205 power walk to passport control through the electronic readers that takes a minute power walk to customs with at maximum 10 people in front of me but since I have a small bag they open the gate and let me pass through with just the dog sniffing me. Say I get pulled up by customs they are going to take out 4 shirts 2 shorts 4 underwear Ipad camera and phone, jobs done in 2 mins. If they ask me a bunch of questions this can take up to 5 mins Im still out that gate by 12:30 to catch my transfer to domestic and my flight at 13:30 then home asleep by 2000 ready for work at 0530.

Posted Image

You may try it, you may even get away with it. But no one will like you for it. Nothing worse than being held up on a plane by some numpty with a f*cking dirty great big suit case.

Leave it to the ladies

No affence meant

Spot on. Nothing pisses me off more than trying to get my small over head bag in the luggage compartment but cant find any space because other dick heads have it full with their mini suitcases which are way to big to be in there. I wished airlines enforced this policy more!

I know many mongers who just take on carry on luggage only and I prefer the small backpack way of travelling and you have 2 options with traveling this way.

1.) Laundries are cheap and plentiful in Pattaya and if you give them your clothes at breakfast they are usually ready the next morning

2.) Go to the markets at Soi Bukhaow and buy T-Shits and other clothes there and either ditch them when you leave or what I do is to buy a cheap suitcase on 2nd road and take it home with you.

Another thing people who fly with Thai Airways do not realise is that for a small fee (about $25 from memory) and they will meet you at the plane when you depart and they will whisk you through immigration so you don't have to que up.

Another thing people who fly with Thai Airways do not realise is that for a small fee (about $25 from memory) and they will meet you at the plane when you depart and they will whisk you through immigration so you don't have to que up.

Do tell highlander looked all over thaiair site and cannot find it

Edited by Deuces

Posted Image

My personal fix to this problem is to pay the rent for my 5Kb condo

year round. I'm slowly becomming a ex-pat, but still have a house,

truck, and all that in USA to take care of, and for the moment selling

out in USA with current prices is just not a good financal time.

When the market improves, I will be out of there in a NY minute.

I fracking hate the arsewholes who bring enough shite for a month for

a 1 week stay, wankers all.

That and the stupid fracking ones who don't have a clue on how to

prep for the security screening.

FFS while standing in line un-tye your shoes, empty your pockets,

take off your belt, jacket, etc sheesh

Improving one Issan girls cash flow , one cash grant at a time !