IGNORED

The dark side?

Jimbo58

I am sure these questions have been asked before so apologies if I am repeating them.

Why is East Pattaya called the dark side?

I am coming to live in Pattaya next year. Will rent or buy a 3 bed house, hopefully with a small garden.

What locations can you recommend, and what are the pro's and con's of the various areas?

I don't plan to be working, but would like to be within 10 to 15 minutes of the centre and beach.

Apparently it is called the dark side because there aren't many street lights!!

A lot of expats live on this side of Pattaya as it is more residential, and there are one or two bars.

I'm not sure about best locations. Maybe another BM could help you, but regarding purchase, I believe you can only own 49% of title to the land.

Again, I'm sure others will chip in with more info for you.

Plenty of choices of places to rent or buy within a 15 minute drive of the beach/centre. I would suggest having a drive around to see what you can get for your budget and consider renting before buying a property.

Pro's and cons will vary depending on what you believe to be good or bad and what your preferences are ie is it more important to be near a good beach (many wouldn't class Pattaya beach as good) or close to say Walking Street and the main shopping areas? Do you want to have a good selection of bars within walking distance? Do you want to be close to other expats? etc

Apparently it is called the dark side because there aren't many street lights!!

Nearly correct. It is called the dark side as in the past there were not many street lights.

A lot of expats live on this side of Pattaya as it is more residential, and there are one or two bars.

There are a lot more than one or two bars...:P

I believe you can only own 49% of title to the land.

Foreigners can not own any share of land in Thailand. I think you are getting confused with the situation with condos. Not more than 49% of condos in a particular development can be held be foreigners.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Thanks for your replies so far. I am very familiar with the dark side, but hadn't heard it called that until I came on this forum.

My Thai wife's cousin married a farang, so we stay with them on the dark side whenever in Thailand. Of course he has plenty of opinions about the various areas and villages especially as he is working as an estate agent in Pattaya!!

But I am interested in other people's opinions and perspectives as well. I will certainly be renting for at least the first 6 months until I am sure of what we want/need.

I want to be near the centre of things but somewhere reasonably quiet. My son will be going to an international school but I don't know which one yet, so that may influence things in the end.

I do know a lot about the laws relating to ownership etc, and am comfortable to buy a house in my wife's name, especially as we have two in my name in the UK that will be providing a good part of my retirement income

Check out the "Bar & Restaurant Guide" for the darkside under Bars & Gogo's section by Cartoonman. There is quite a good selection.

image.png

• 2 weeks later...