IGNORED

iPhone 4 in Thailand

disneyland

I know standard size sim cards are easily available from 7-11 and so forth, but I'm thinking about bringing my iPhone 4 to Thailand which only takes the "micro" sim card size.

does anyone know if these cards are just as readily available from the same places?

I don't want anything long term, just a temporary number for cheap calls whilst on my trip.

thanks boys

i want to go to DISNEYLAND!!!!!

I was thinking about this the other day. Then I found you can buy sim card cutters on eBay they cut down a std size sim card to fit your iPhone so that is my plan for the next trip. Hope this helps

No worries, they are readily available, at Phuket airport they give them away. not sure about 7 - 11 but places such as tukcom in south road have sims for sale. good idea to remove your aussie sim as roaming in Thailand (especially cell data) is VERY expensive. make sure this option is turned off on your Iphone before you turn yr phone on in Thailand (if the aussie sim is still in there).

I can have this at home............................or this in LOS, thats why I go

post-25755-0-87905900-1355607024.jpg                   post-25755-0-06858900-1359758265.jpg

I'm not too sure about bring it from other countries. But I brought my iPhone from Australia and it needed to be unlocked. Tried various sims and got them cut down etc. but 4000 baht to get it unlocked in tuk com. More hastle then it's worth.

I'm not too sure about bring it from other countries. But I brought my iPhone from Australia and it needed to be unlocked. Tried various sims and got them cut down etc. but 4000 baht to get it unlocked in tuk com. More hastle then it's worth.

I think (and hope) that you mean 400 baht!

ทำให้ไม่ชอบสงคราม

I think (and hope) that you mean 400 baht!

Does anyone know if the unlocking can screw up the phone in any way? I´ve heard different oppinions about this.

Does anyone know if the unlocking can screw up the phone in any way? I´ve heard different oppinions about this.

There is always a risk, but most of the time, there is no problem.

Though I prefer to use mine just to take pictures, and buy a cheap phone for calls and texts.

1st TR : A Time of Smiles

2nd TR : Good to be Back

3rd TR : The Spinners Tour

Memories of the past is what makes you live to see the future.

"It's my life, It's now or never, I ain't gonna live forever, I just wanna live while I'm alive!" -Bon Jovi

And remember : Nothing is True, Everything is Possible!

Last trip I unlocked an iPhone 4 that I no longer used in the UK and has now become my dedicated Thai phone. So far it seems fine although I am not going to update it via iTunes as I have heard that doing that can lock it again.

ทำให้ไม่ชอบสงคราม

OK well I think I will just wait until november to get it unlocked properly from my operator and use a different phone in Thailand until then. Could be a good thing as I have a tendency to get drugged and robbed every ones in a while haha!

I'm planning on using my iPhone 4s for my next trip.

I was not aware that the sim was of a different size but I think a quick trip to Tukcom will fix that. (I hope)

BTW if you have a locked iPhone with Telstra in Australia you can call them and unlock it at no cost by telling them you are travelling overseas and want to use a foreign sim.

Looking forward to using this phone over there as it captures great video and photos and I am of course used to using it.

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

I bought a microsim in Central Shopping mall (4th floor, electronic shop, if I remenber correctly) for 400 Baht incl. 5h data and 50 Baht starting credit (AIS prepaid).

Reload via 7/11 or family mart as all prepaid cards.

I suggest to stop the data option in your iPhone because it costs a lot of money, as an iPhone is online all the time.

To do this goto:

Settings --> General --> Network --> Mobile data --> OFF

If everything is under control you are just not driving fast enough!

I'm planning on using my iPhone 4s for my next trip.

I was not aware that the sim was of a different size but I think a quick trip to Tukcom will fix that. (I hope)

BTW if you have a locked iPhone with Telstra in Australia you can call them and unlock it at no cost by telling them you are travelling overseas and want to use a foreign sim.

Looking forward to using this phone over there as it captures great video and photos and I am of course used to using it.

You can buy a special cutting device cheap. Can´t say what store has them in your country though.

I asked the guys at my operators store about temporary unlocking to use it abroad, but they refused to do that!

It´s fucking expensive to use the 3G thing with my Swedish sim so as soon as I land I remove the sim and only use it at the hotel via the wifi to browse the internet.

I'm gonna bring my Samsung Galaxy, do you know if they sell mico Sim cards at the airport?

You can buy a special cutting device cheap. Can´t say what store has them in your country though.

Cheers for that mate.

I will buy a cutter in Thailand as I dont want to carry anything remotely related to cutting in my carry on.

PS it sounds like a great idea for you not to take your iphone if you expect to get drugged and robbed again.

It sounds rough mate!

good idea to remove your aussie sim as roaming in Thailand (especially cell data) is VERY expensive.

I had no choice last trip. Was staying in Isaan and had an urgent need to use data so put my Aussie Sim back in and used about 12mb.. Turned out (and i did have an idea) was $20 per Mb.

So yes fellas ensure roaming is off, and get a thai microsim from airport / tukcom and if you stay in Patts, you'll never need to put your aussie sim in for data usage

If with telstra in Australia just ring them and they will unlock it

Jailbreaking and unlocking your phone is safe

But back it up on itunes first

Download lastest version update 5.0,1

Download Redsn0w lastest version

Then follow instructions phone will be jailbroken with cyndia on your phone

Go into cyndia its a new app on your phone

Update the Ultrasn0w and install it

Phone is unlocked for any sim

If something goes wrong just restore with iTunes

If interested i could do a more detailed intruction when have time

Also doing this

Is Not Illegal repeat is Not !

Edited by CrustyAngel

Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one !

The world uses two different networks, for cell phones. The iphone 4s was made to be used with either network, But as the other Bm stated all you have to do is call your cell phone provider, and ask them to unlock it as you will be traveling they should do this for you with no problem.

markinaruba

thanks for your info guys, the phone has been easily unlocked through the provider, now I just need to make sure I can easily buy a micro sim card to go in it.

has anyone purchased these cards before or know if they are readily available at 7-11 and the like?

i want to go to DISNEYLAND!!!!!

Cheers for that mate.

I will buy a cutter in Thailand as I dont want to carry anything remotely related to cutting in my carry on.

PS it sounds like a great idea for you not to take your iphone if you expect to get drugged and robbed again.

It sounds rough mate!

Guys

Seriously you don't need to go to the trouble of buying cutters (unless you want one to keep). At BKK ask any of the ladies manning the network stalls (DTAC, 12Call, etc) for a pre-pay SIM and ask her to cut it for you to fit your iPhone. They do this all day long and will have you up and running in no time!

Cheers

"Lead, follow, or get out of the way."

hey whats the best deal for internet and phone calls in thailand?

Check out this awesome website for all the best info.

I find it very informative.

http://thaiprepaidcard.com/2012/3g-data-plans-for-12call-dtac-and-true/