Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

What does this mean

jeff2704

Anyone know what dollair means in thai thanks

Anyone know what dollair means in thai thanks

Bullshit/Liar...

Doh-lehh mak mak lew lew - quite rude actually :Oops3:

ipUTkd7VLymwJ.gif

Yup, dollair = bullshit

Doo lair = take care, look after

Chasing girls can be expensive

But it's more expensive if you catch one

Yup, dollair = bullshit

Doo lair = take care, look after

LOL, don't mix them up! :D

ขออภัยในความไม่สะดวก กูเกิลทรานสเลทไม่สามารถแปลข้อมูลนี้ได้ 

Hard to tell without the context.

Could be = dollar as in money

Could be = Doo-Lae as take care

Could be = Tollae as in bullshit

Hard to tell without the context.

Could be = dollar as in money

Could be = Doo-Lae as take care

Could be = Tollae as in bullshit

Very true, I instantly assumed that the word the OP referred to was "Bullshit", but it does depend on context. The Thai word for bullshit begins with what I prefer to think of as Dt, usually written as a T as you have done. Doo-lae begins with a "D"

Depending on context ตอแหล dtaawM laaeR/Tollae/Dtollae can mean "Bullshit!" as in "you are bullshitting". It can also mean that a plant is fruiting very quickly. It can also be used with a child or a friend who is a chatterbox, you know when they just keep on and on talking and you are getting a bit tired of it.

Very true, I instantly assumed that the word the OP referred to was "Bullshit", but it does depend on context. The Thai word for bullshit begins with what I prefer to think of as Dt, usually written as a T as you have done. Doo-lae begins with a "D"

Depending on context ตอแหล dtaawM laaeR/Tollae/Dtollae can mean "Bullshit!" as in "you are bullshitting". It can also mean that a plant is fruiting very quickly. It can also be used with a child or a friend who is a chatterbox, you know when they just keep on and on talking and you are getting a bit tired of it.

Quite correct. To my ears it sounds like Tollae but should be transliterated with a D.

I've also found ตอแหล to be far more offensive than go-kok (to lie)

It's always very difficult to answer these Thai language questions without knowing the context.

Thanks guys its bullshit then

maybe it's a transatlantic thing but my understanding of ตอแล was lies/liar/fibbing, a much harsher for of โกหก. Chances are if you heard it from a bargirl it's ตอแล and it's probably aimed at a guy... that's a farang :0

Bullshit in the uk is lies and bullshitting (or blagging) is making guesses to in an effort to make yourself look like you know what you're talking about. In thai I know this as มั่ว or มั่วๆ.

Edited by herds

maybe it's a transatlantic thing but my understanding of ตอแล was lies/liar/fibbing, a much harsher for of โกหก. Chances are if you heard it from a bargirl it's ตอแล and it's probably aimed at a guy... that's a farang :0

Bullshit in the uk is lies and bullshitting (or blagging) is making guesses to in an effort to make yourself look like you know what you're talking about. In thai I know this as มั่ว or มั่วๆ.

Yes, that's about it. In Australia you can say bullshit to someone and they'll just laugh but call them a liar and they'll get angry. Say a Thai is telling a lie (โกหก) and it's harmless, say they bullshitting (ตอแล) and you can get a fight. Another reason to steer clear of using Thai swear/insult/rough words until one fully understands the impact of the word. You can't always trust the dictionaries.

• 1 month later...

They're sometimes using this word at beginning of sentence:

sonycha

sony cha

tsonycha

conycha

...or something like that. What's that?

2012-03-13_160433.jpg

They're sometimes using this word at beginning of sentence:

sonycha

sony cha

tsonycha

conycha

...or something like that. What's that?

Without any context I can only take a wild guess and say "chan itchaa": I'm envious, jealous.

Could be something completely different though :D

ขออภัยในความไม่สะดวก กูเกิลทรานสเลทไม่สามารถแปลข้อมูลนี้ได้ 

Without any context I can only take a wild guess and say "chan itchaa": I'm envious, jealous.

Could be something completely different though :D

No, no! :laugh:

They use it like "sonycha, tao rai this food?". You know, at the beginning of sentence, I guess it's something like asking for attention?

Edited by meisy
2012-03-13_160433.jpg

No, no! :laugh:

They use it like "sonycha, tao rai this food?". You know, at the beginning of sentence, I guess it's something like asking for attention?

I cannot think what this could be.

In a restaurant, people may refer to the younger serving staff as "Nong" in order to get their attention. "Ja" is often added to the end to soften it and make it more polite.

So you may hear some women call out "Nong Ja" to attract a younger waitress's attention. Not used too often by men though as it suggests intimacy.

So I would think that the last syllable is possibly "Ja".

I cannot think what this could be.

In a restaurant, people may refer to the younger serving staff as "Nong" in order to get their attention. "Ja" is often added to the end to soften it and make it more polite.

So you may hear some women call out "Nong Ja" to attract a younger waitress's attention. Not used too often by men though as it suggests intimacy.

So I would think that the last syllable is possibly "Ja".

Right I'd say the last bit is also "Ja" as for the first part "Sony" I have no idea. I took a Thai gal to dinner last night and she called the waiter "Nom Ja" which I believe means young man. I myself call waitresses "Nong" or "Noo" followed by Ja.

Right I'd say the last bit is also "Ja" as for the first part "Sony" I have no idea. I took a Thai gal to dinner last night and she called the waiter "Nom Ja" which I believe means young man. I myself call waitresses "Nong" or "Noo" followed by Ja.

Just to add that Ja, the polite particle added at the end has a number of different spellings and tones.

When "Ja" is spoken with a long vowel and rising tone, it is the most affectionate version and indicates intimacy. Usually used between parents and children or very close people. It can also be used as a reponse when an intimate person talks to you. Like "yes?"

Just to add that Ja, the polite particle added at the end has a number of different spellings and tones.

When "Ja" is spoken with a long vowel and rising tone, it is the most affectionate version and indicates intimacy. Usually used between parents and children or very close people. It can also be used as a reponse when an intimate person talks to you. Like "yes?"

Right. I sometime joke with GF when she asks something and I reply Ja Jaar.

Right. I sometime joke with GF when she asks something and I reply Ja Jaar.

Hopefully she doesn't hear both Ja's with a long vowel

"จ๋าๆ" Jaah Jaah would indicate that you idolize and are servile to her

Hopefully she doesn't hear both Ja's with a long vowel

"จ๋าๆ" Jaah Jaah would indicate that you idolize and are servile to her

Nah that's why I spelt them different Ja (short) and Jaar (long)