IGNORED

Drunken Duck Guest House

robio

Does anyone know if .. poofs are allowed.....................to stay there :Help_Wanted:

only if you like going in through the back passage,

And will the owner there...let me use his back passage........ :Finger5:

• 1 month later...

what a thread, to be honest I read the review with some salt, but the later statements make clear to better look for another place for any business

1 negative experience is shared on average with 16 different people (that matter)

hey mate you forgot to leave the key for the door lock and the key for safe

both have been replaced now

we will deal with that issue next time i see on your favorite soi

following is a review from a repeat customer

The Drunken Duck is a great place to stay in one of the best locations in Pattaya - Soi LK Metro. This was my third visit and I stayed in Room#1 - which overlooked Soi LK Metro. The room was nicely furnished in a modern style, with balcony, a/c, large fridge, ensuite, wall mounted safe, wall mounted LCD TV and DVD player. The bed was firm (which I prefer) and I slept soundly each night I was there. Noise from the street was not noticeable after 2am - if you prefer a quieter room they have some on the backside of the building. The ensuite is your standard combined guesthouse style toilet/shower with sink.

The Drunken Duck is owned/managed by Tony - an outgoing and courteous gent from England - who's always willing to head out with you into the city for a drink and will show you the best places in town. Then there's Bobby, who organises pub crawls to other towns in the vicinity of Pattaya and loves to have a drink. The staff at the Drunken Duck (Ann - supervisor; Lee - night cashier; Nid - day cashier and the cleaning ladies) are friendly, cheerful and helpful. The cleaning ladies do a top job on the rooms everyday and can be trusted with your belongings in your room.

The Drunken Duck does not currently have an operational kitchen/restaurant - though I heard some plans are in the works to get one running in the future. However, there is a selection of menu's from local restaurants in the bar and you can place your food order with the cashier/bartender and it will be delivered to The Drunken Duck quickly. I highly recommend breakfast from the Golf Club (located across the Soi).

I like returning to stay at The Drunken Duck as I am welcomed back as family and treated as such during my stay. I cannot recommend this place enough!

congratulations with this one statement you have ensured i will never stay at your guest house or drink in your bar. even if you host a free addicts party with free beer and girls. well ok if you have free girls.

but this behavior is disgusting and you can say its not a threat but clearly it is and i think you writing this on a public forum(well to say it to anyone at all) is disgusting and you have lost my business and recommendations that i may make.

Thank you for the review OP it is clear you are upset by your stay and not getting your money back however i think it may have been a little over the top but then that is what these forums are for and it is nice to have a heads up and number of reviews good and bad for hotels and guest houses.

"There's plenty more prostitutes in Pattaya" ©2012™

"Only Newbies go home when planned" ©2012

"I don't run a gogo, i run a dance academy" Â©2014

"Sauna and milkshakes a winning combination" Â©2015

Facebook Group ::: Pattaya Bar Crawls and Parties

• 5 months later...

The Drunken Duck Guesthouse and Bar – Soi LK Metro

Price: 850 a night. Rooms on higher floors were a tad more expensive

The Good:

Great location – LK Metro is now my favourite area in Pattaya with its cheap hotels, great restaurants, decent gogo bars, multitude of beer bars, and general party atmosphere. I have been to Pattaya many times, but this was my first time staying on LK. I will stay here from now on and would recommend that all newbies use this as a launching pad into Pattaya.

The room at Drunken Duck had some benefits as well. I was in Room 1, which has a deck overlooking LK Metro (and specifically Devil’s Den). The bed was comfortable and the linens and pillows were nice for a guest house at this price point. The flat screen TV had good sound and picture quality, and the channel selection was good. The overall size of the room was acceptable.

The Bad:

Cleanliness. When I checked in the last punter had left his disgusting comb (with white shit stuck in it), a razor with shaving clippings, and a toothbrush and toothpaste in the bathroom. It was not a nice first site when I went in. There was also no toilet paper, which I did not realize until after it was too late. A little more attention to detail is needed by the cleaning staff at Drunken Duck.

Bathrooms: Black mould had taken over the bathroom. The shower was worse than some of the short time rooms on Soi 6, dribbling out drops of warm water. The drain was backed up, so the floor did not dry for a long time after showering. The bathrooms are in dire need of care at DD. It really is a laziness issue, as black mould can be easily taken care of with a cheap bottle of bleach.

Noise: If you stay on LK, be prepared for party noise. I am totally cool with that – being so close to the party was a big draw of staying in the LK area. My issue was the drilling noise that occurred from within the bar at 10 AM on January 28th. In an attempt to upgrade the substandard bar area, some new TVs were being installed. Holes were being drilled in the ceiling – right under my floor. After partying until 5 AM I was not impressed. When I went down to ask why they could not do it in the afternoon (most guys staying in this guest house stay up late and sleep the day away), the snarky staff member said “Boss wants it done”. So the expat boss of a guest house in Thailand had commissioned morning repairs – thanks for considering the guests, Tony! This would not be the only ill-advised managerial decision.

The Unbelievably Bad:

The management at this hotel is ridiculously poor. I had met the manager, Tony, on previous occasions, one being a Bang Chang tour, another being through mutual friends from Canada. When I needed a room for a few days at the end of the trip, and had decided to stay on LK, it was a no-brainer to go with the guy I knew. It was a mistake.

I signed into Room 1 for 3 nights and paid in full on January 24th, 2 nights before I needed to move in. I realized I had made a mistake an hour after I paid – my flight actually left on the 28th, not the 29th, so I would not be needing the 3rd night after all. As soon as I knew I went to DD to inform the staff of the mistake. Tony was not in so I left a message with the woman sitting behind the bar. The next day I tried again, but still no Tony and still no change to the booking book. Finally the 26th came, and I again informed the lady behind the bar that I had made a mistake and would not need the room on the 28th. She called Tony, who was golfing, and he told her he would talk to me at 6PM that night. As she was talking to him, I noticed that room 1 was empty for 5 days after the 28th, so I was happy that I would not be stranding the guest house with a single night of no occupancy by cancelling. I should have known that this would not matter due to TIT rules (This is Tony).

Just after 6 I talked to Tony. Looking down, he said “I am not lying, but we had to move people around so that you could have that room”, an obvious lie because I had already seen the book, and the vacancies both rooms 1 & 2 for the week after the 28th. The fact that he prefaced a complete and utter lie with the words “I am not lying” told me everything I needed to know about his character.

Realizing that Tony was either a graduate of the Thai school of management (which states that cash in hand today is more important than repeat business), or so hard up for cash that he had to lie to keep my $25 (sad if true), I offered a solution. Give me a credit at the bar, and I will drink the room rate away, still giving the hotel the chance to fill it on the 28th. No dice.

The saddest part: for the next 2 nights every time Tony saw me he looked down and walked away! The other funny thing is we spent thousands of baht eating and drinking at Kilkenny (another similar guesthouse across the road) during our stay - all of that money would have gone into the Drunken Duck if Tony had done the right thing instead of being greedy.

It became apparent that we were not the only ones disillusioned by Tony and his Thai-style tactics. At midnight one can walk up and down LK Metro and see lively beer bars at virtually every guest house, except, you guessed it, the Drunken Duck. It would seem that Tony’s negative attitude and money-grubbing ways have turned off many a punter and made his bar an undesirable place to hang out.

Suggestions for Improvement:

The successful businesses on LK Metro are successful because their owners or managers always try to make their guests feel welcome. Tony is the opposite, with his negativity and mood swings truly creating a culture of fear at both the bar and the guest house. Suggestion 1: Create a more positive atmosphere and more people will want to stay there and drink there.

Suggestion 2: Go to Friendship or Big C and buy a bottle of bleach. Pay someone to bleach the black mould from your bathrooms so that people other than dirty backpackers will be comfortable staying in your rooms. The sign says LK Metro, not Khao San Road! The other guest houses on the soi have stepped up their game – time for you to do the same.

Suggestion 3. Think ahead! This was my 9th tour in Thailand and you have guaranteed that you will never see another of my baht again. Repeat business is key in low season in the mongering circuit. Do more to secure more of it or watch other guest houses thrive as you continue to struggle with high vacancy and empty bar seats.

I would not stay at the Drunken Duck again and would strongly advise others to look carefully before booking this guest house.

I intended on staying @ this GH/bar for a good 10 days during my 3 week stay in Patts next year but now have no intentions whatsoever!! As well, it was recommended by me 2 a co-worker & 2 airline reps who r planning an 8 day trip there this Fall (their 1st). Now i know it's a place 2 be avoided!! And avoid it we will!! WANKERS!!!

no threat intended your way to sensitive

"No threat intended. Ur waaay 2 sensitive". Didn't know politicians visited this website!! Ur a hoot!! Keep'em coming!!

Esti

• Group Member
  • Active Posts 25
  • Profile Views 13
  • Member Title Pattaya Addict
  • Age Age Unknown

• Birthday Birthday Unknown

with a member of your record what can i say .....

[b][size=3]The Drunken Duck - The place to stay in Soi LK Metro[/size][/b]

The power of the Internet ...how to lose goodwill and reputation.....years to build up,trashed in seconds.

Bad bad karma here.

Always good to know a bully is being exposed to publicity,it's what they hate most of all.

Build a man a fire,and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire,and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Realizing that Tony was either a graduate of the Thai school of management (which states that cash in hand today is more important than repeat business), or so hard up for cash that he had to lie to keep my $25 (sad if true), I offered a solution. Give me a credit at the bar, and I will drink the room rate away, still giving the hotel the chance to fill it on the 28th. No dice.

No dice??? You do realise gambling is illegal in Thailand :GoldenSmile1:

I've stayed there before, and more than happy stay there again.

Rooms were fine, I've stayed in 3 of them on different occassions.

I found Tony and the staff were helpful and good company.

I tend to only pay up 4 days in advance, to give me a little more maneuvering room.

None the less, my plans changed, and I ended up leaving 2 days early to meet up with a mate in BKK,

and while I would have liked a refund, I didn't get it, and didn't expect it.

I do not post on this forum, just like to read through but had to make a comment.

Why do so many believe that the business should bend backwards for them to make them happy IN HOPE for return business?

OP took the cheaper or cheapest room for 3 nights in a cheap hotel, NOT exactly the bread winner

OP, made a mistake, so why should the business pay for it?!

OP does not work at the hotel, nor does he know hotels bookings or how things operate, so OP is in no position to say if owner was lying or not.

OP is giving advice on how to run the business and complaining about the mould, but has chosen to stay in a cheap place. Since standards are so important to OP,why not stay at Hilton?!

So many cheap charlies, who seek out the cheapest deals but then demand 5 star accommodation and treatment.

I have no doubt, OP also was too cheap to tip the staff or spend any money in the bar, but wanted to be a "special" customer with privileges

I do not know the owner of DD and i do not agree with the threat he made, but feel that the OP left the hotel in a bad manner..

As he stated, "he did not want confrontation with the reception staff" but why would he have any problems with reception staff, unless he was a dick all the way from the start-just something to think about

Edited by FTS

he should of checked the room first in regards to the.......cleanilessness.

ok well he made a mistake regarding his flights and had to check out earlier............................personally i always know when my departing date from thailand is ...as im usually dreading it........but the OP apparently didnt know ..thus asking for his money back for the nights alreADY booked.

Personally if i had been the hotel owner i may have given him his money back.......but i guess up to the owner....especially with ,,what was it....... only 2 or 3 days notice ?