IGNORED

Molluscum Contagiosum

semi-retired member

Several months after my last visit to Patters, I discovered that I had several painless spots in my pubic-area, thought they were yellow-heads at first. Wrong !

None on my genitals, and I always use a condom when riding, but that doesn't protect you from skin-to-skin contact or when eating, does it !

So when they failed to clear up after a few weeks of extra-careful hygiene & Ampycillin, I went to the local pox-doctor, who diagnosed Molluscum and gave me a tube of Fucidin cream, which is fusidic-acid in a cream base, anti-bacterial & anti-viral. Costs about 200B per 15-mg tube. This helps but hasn't cleared them completely.

Another potential-treatment is freezing with Nitrogen, but I'm none-too-keen about letting anyone near my todger with something like that (!) or excision of the spots with a scalpel, similar reluctance to try that, thank-you !

It's a skin-surface virus, and I can vouch for the 'Contagiosum' bit, as casual-scratching also transferred it also to my armpits !

Salicylic-acid applied to the spots, which have a pale centre which apparently contains the pox/virus itself, didn't help much either. I've also tried Betadine-solution (in a small orange plastic-bottle), a well-regarded local Thai antiseptic which claims to be effective against bacteria & viruses & fungi & so-on. This helps but new spots still develop, as old ones heal.

Googling tells me that it's common amongst children, spread at playschools by non-sexual touching (that 'Contagiosum' bit again !) , while also considered an STD in adults, by virtue of the way it is commonly spread, and is more-common in the tropics. Eventually it's supposed to clear-up on its own, as your immune-system works on it, but this may take years !

Meanwhile I'd like to kill-it-off a little more quickly than that, so I can return to active fun-and-frolics, obviously I don't wish to spread it around, that wouldn't be sporting !

Do any other BMs have experience of this, and of a treatment that actually works ? Perhaps acyclovir tablets/cream ?

Wow that is scary I feel for you.....Having never been as cautious as you I consider myself lucky...

Where are you UK or LOS? LOS Bangkok Hospital they have many locations. Pay and have this seen to.

With something like this I would be reluctant to acceprt online medical advice I would want to hear it straight from the horses mouth.

Good Luck

I had it too some time ago, but mine was on my leg. So I got it frozen and it dropped off. doctor told me that these are not harmful and take around 3-6 months to completely stop.

Another thing....get a tube of Burnol plus which is a general anti-septic cream (30 baht) and put on it. It will help to stop spread and my reduce it too.

Here you go Matey a bit more stuff for you to read and explains a bit abouit it to the Guys who know nothing

Clinical Features

molluscum2-br_thb.jpg

Typical molluscum lesions on the torso

of a child. Typical lesions are

approximately 3-5 mm in diameter.

Image courtesy Dave Bray, MD, Walter

Reed Army Medical Center

View large image >

The infection is found worldwide but is more common in developing countries and has traditionally been regarded as a pediatric disease. Successful vaccination against smallpox in infancy is not protective. Little has been verified with regard to the incubation period; however, it is estimated to be between 2 weeks and 6 months. Most cases occur in children over 1 year of age, with only one known case reported in an infant (at 7 days post-partum).(32) Atopic dermatitis may be a risk factor for contracting molluscum contagiosum due to the barrier breaks and immune cell dysfunction in atopic skin.(1) In addition, these patients may be more likely to autoinoculate (excoriation of primary lesions and spread to areas of normal skin) new areas of skin because of the underlying pruritus from their atopy.(2)

molluscum_face_thb.jpg

Less typical-appearing numerous lesions

on the face of a patient.

Image courtesy Scott Norton, MD, MPH,

Dept. of Dermatology, Walter Reed

Army Medical Center

View large image > Patients with HIV/AIDS and other immunocompromising conditions (e.g., solid organ transplant recipients)(3,4) can develop “giant” lesions (≥15 mm in diameter), larger numbers of lesions, and lesions that are more resistant to standard therapy. The following diseases should be considered in the differential diagnosis of molluscum contagiosum: cryptococcosis, basal cell carcinoma, keratoacanthoma, histoplasmosis, coccidioidomycosis, and verruca vulgaris.(2,3) For genital lesions, condyloma acuminata and vaginal syringomas should be considered.(4)

Diagnosis is generally made based on the appearance of lesions. Skin biopsy may be necessary in immunocompromised patients to exclude other conditions such as malignancy or endemic fungal infections. Skin biopsy will reveal “molluscum bodies” – eosinophilic inclusions in the epidermis. This finding may also be observed on Giemsa-stained core material expressed onto a glass slide.

Molluscum contagiosum lesions have recently come to be classified in one of three ways: the commonly seen skin lesions found largely on the faces, trunks, and limbs of children; the sexually transmitted lesions found on the abdomen, inner thighs, and genitals of sexually active adults; and the diffuse and recalcitrant eruptions of patients with AIDS or other immunosuppressive

Clinical Information: Molluscum Contagiosum

Etiology

Molluscum contagiosum is a benign superficial skin disease caused by a poxvirus. It is characterized by small pearly papules with a central depression whose core may be expressed, producing a white cheesy material. The lesions average 2 to 5 mm in size and are usually painless, but may become inflamed, red, and swollen. Molluscum contagiosum is a self-limited infection; the papules usually disappear spontaneously within 6 to 12 months but may take as long as 4 years to resolve.

Treatment Options

Because molluscum contagiosum is self-limited in healthy individuals, treatment may be unnecessary. Nonetheless, issues such as lesion visibility, underlying atopic disease, and the Desire to prevent transmission may prompt therapy. Rapid treatment options include cryotherapy (freezing the lesion with Liquid nitrogen), curettage (the piercing of the core and scraping of caseous or cheesy material), and laser therapy. These options require a trained health care provider, may require local anesthesia, and can result in post-procedural pain, irritation, and scarring. (8,10,25,26)

Gradual removal of lesions may be achieved by oral or topical therapy. These techniques are often desirable for pediatric patients because they are generally less painful and may be performed by parents at home in a less threatening environment. Oral cimetidine has been used as an alternative treatment for small children who are either afraid of the pain associated with cryotherapy, curettage, and laser therapy or because the possibility of scarring is to be avoided. In addition, small children may not be cooperative with the application of topical therapy. While cimetidine is safe, painless, and well tolerated, facial mollusca do not respond as well as lesions elsewhere on the body. (27) Podophyllotoxin cream (0.5%) is reliable as a home therapy for men but is not recommended for pregnant women because of presumed toxicity to the fetus.(10,12) Each lesion must be treated individually as the therapeutic effect is localized. (9,28) Other options for topical therapy include iodine and salicylic acid, potassium hydroxide, tretinoin, cantharidin (a blistering agent usually applied in an office setting), and imiquimod (T cell modifier). These treatments must be prescribed by a health care professional.

Most therapies are effective in immunocompetent patients; however, patients with HIV/AIDS or other immunosuppressing conditions often do not respond to traditional treatments. (8,20,25,27,29) In addition, these treatments are largely ineffective in achieving long-term control in HIV patients. (8,20,25,29)

Low CD4 cell counts have been linked to widespread facial mollusca and therefore have become a marker for severe HIV disease. (20,25,29,30) Thus far, therapies targeted at boosting the immune system have proven the most effective therapy for molluscum contagiosum in immunocompromised persons. (10,29) In extreme cases, intralesional interferon has been used to treat facial lesions in these patients. However, the severe and unpleasant side effects of interferon, such as influenza-like symptoms, site tenderness, depression, and lethargy, make it a less-than-desirable treatment. Furthermore, interferon therapy proved most effective in otherwise healthy persons. (25,28) Radiation therapy is also of little benefit.

After a tour in January 2011, I had noticed this yellow bump grow. It eventually got the distinct marks of Molluscum ( a dot or a circular depression in the middle)

My local sexual health clinic suggested freezing with Nitrogen which I agreed to.

The doctor advised that there have been cases of a white mark/scar showing on some darker skinned people before. I was luck enough to get no such mark/scars.

The "BURNING" off was not painful at all, more of an annoyance. On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 is bad) it was about a 2 - 3.

1 year later its all good..........in fact it was all good 3-4 weeks after the treatment. It all depends how large it is to how long it would take to heal.

Hope that helps.

...Do any other BMs have experience of this, and of a treatment that actually works ? Perhaps acyclovir tablets/cream ?

Why would you treat molluscum contagium with a herpes medicine ? Even if you are unwilling to seek or take certified medical advice there is a wealth of information on the internet. Only a doctor will prescribe the correct treatment for your particular case. People following 'monger wisdom' when treating other STD's has seen Angeles' surge in super-STD's. The treatment for molluscum can take many months before the visible signs recede. Here is the UK's NHS factsheet on treatment for those that would like to know more.

Thanks for the sympathy & helpful replies, guys.

I'm up in Chiang Mai, where nitrogen-freezing wasn't available, at the expert-doctor in the Loi Kroh Road, a popular bar-area so he gets a lot of experience with STDs !

But am confident that his diagnosis was correct, having seen photos online (thanks Ghost for your very informative post), those advanced-cases with HIV imuno-suppressed people are horrific.

Scary to think that condoms are NO protection against this, which I'd never even heard of, but I admit I was relieved that it didn't turn out to be secondary-stage syphilis !

Why would you treat molluscum contagium with a herpes medicine ? Even if you are unwilling to seek or take certified medical advice there is a wealth of information on the internet. Only a doctor will prescribe the correct treatment for your particular case. People following 'monger wisdom' when treating other STD's has seen Angeles' surge in super-STD's. The treatment for molluscum can take many months before the visible signs recede. Here is the UK's NHS factsheet on treatment for those that would like to know more.

Sorry, our posts must have been made, at the same time.

Why consider 'acyclovir', because I'm looking for something which might boost my immune-system's normal reactions, in order to speed-up the natural rejection of the molluscum/pox-virus, which the literature leads me to expect to occur naturally, but may take years.

My OP made it clear that I have taken advice from a qualified well-experienced doctor, partly in order to get a proper diagnosis of the rash, but that the cream he prescribed is not a perfect answer. One reason I'm slightly-reluctant, to move to freezing or curetage is that I don't want the scars, which may sometimes result.

Thanks for the NHS-information, which was new to me, and hopefully may help inform others too. We should perhaps be more-aware of this particular disease, if it's common and contagious too, even if there aren't any serious medical implications in catching it. !

Thanks for the sympathy & helpful replies, guys.

I'm up in Chiang Mai, where nitrogen-freezing wasn't available, at the expert-doctor in the Loi Kroh Road, a popular bar-area so he gets a lot of experience with STDs !

But am confident that his diagnosis was correct, having seen photos online (thanks Ghost for your very informative post), those advanced-cases with HIV imuno-suppressed people are horrific.

Scary to think that condoms are NO protection against this, which I'd never even heard of, but I admit I was relieved that it didn't turn out to be secondary-stage syphilis !

Thanks for scaring the crap outta me... Now, where can i buy an at least 5mm thick body condom ??

Thanks for scaring the crap outta me... Now, where can i buy an at least 5mm thick body condom ??

Perhaps a wet-suit, or old-fashioned diving-suit, is the answer ? :Disease1:

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE

One of the treatments, often quoted by parents on the www for treating Molluscum in children, was to wipe the affected areas with alcohol. The idea being that this would kill the virus on the skin-surface, and reduce re-infection, over time.

So I started wiping 3-4 times daily (after showers), with 40-proof Vodka (I had a spare bottle & don't drink it myself !), while treating the actual spots themselves with Fucidin-cream as well. Over a month or so, this appears to have done the trick, the real test will of course be when I stop the treatment, which I'm continuing at-present on general-principles.

From a cost point-of-view, it also works out much cheaper than the cream, and is painless !

• 2 weeks later...

:SoWhat1:I got mine frozen off back home at the local GUM clinic. Plus another infection which I picked up.

Always enjoy and play safe!

• 4 months later...

Update, ten months after first diagnosis, and some fifteen months after infection, I believe I'm now clear. Phew !

The alcohol-rub definitely dramatically-reduced reinfection, while the cream worked slowly, to clear-up current spots.

Now to plan my next trip to Patters, with a reminder to self, to examine partners in-the-shower in future !

I had it too some time ago, but mine was on my leg. So I got it frozen and it dropped off. doctor told me that these are not harmful and take around 3-6 months to completely stop.

Another thing....get a tube of Burnol plus which is a general anti-septic cream (30 baht) and put on it. It will help to stop spread and my reduce it too.

Yeah i had mine frozen to and it did work but takes time

Apple Cider Vinegar.

Apply for a few hours to each individual spot - if you have a lot then it may take a while.

Use a cotton bud and keep dipping it in the apple cider vinegar and then apply firmly to the spot - every 10 - 15 mins get more vinegar on the cotton bud and apply again. A long process but the upshot being the molloscum will go either red or white. The virus is now DEAD - no need to re-apply any more vinegar - it will go dark red for a few days scab over and fall off leaving smooth skin underneath.

Apple cider vinegar is great for lots of different skin related ailments - no need for expensive creams etc that dont even work. Look it up on the internet plenty of people use it for molloscum.

Total time if done correctly - a spot will be gone in 3 days.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes,I agree with the use of apple cider vinegar. i had 2 MC spots after a trip to patters.

one disappeared after about 2 months of its own accord.

the other one hung around- i know i shouldn't have,but i applied every cream that i could get my hands on-{ my mother has an un-ending supply of these as she has skin problems on one leg- creams were steroidal creams- names like Betnovate,Emovate,Fusidic etc)- all proved no good.

i did the google bit and came up with the apple cider vinegar option.

i used the vinegar and it worked- the one remaining spot went black after about 5 days and then fell off.

The skin is now fine to the touch with no "raised/rough" area as there had been before.

There is a slight red blemish on my skin (i'm white skinned) where the MC spot had been-but one would want to be looking very closely to spot it.

i imagine that it is the alcohol in the cider vinegar that does most of the work-so i suppose some strong spirit based alcohol would also be of use.

Wow took 15 months to clear? I guess that the important thing is that it did finally clear even though it took a while. But thanks for all the updates as sometimes we all try to be cautious as much as we can but stuff happens.

• 4 months later...

I had MC few years ago, were about 3/4 spots on cock. Were slowly increasing in number.

Nurse popped them with very small blade and pulled out small piece of stringy white tissue.

Put on a plaster.

No scar, they never returned, 50 Baht charge. finished.

Sounds bit radical, but it was a very reputable sex clinic.

Very common among bargirls, and can be confused with genital warts when they sit near your genitals.

I had it as well in my pubic area got it from bargirls when I was in Phuket 10 years ago.

Went to the hospital when I got back home, the doctor cut them all off with a razorsharp instrument,

stinged a bit when cut off and bled like hell, but they healed up quickly, but unfortunately there was

still new ones popping up now and then for a couple of year until they finally disappeared.

Very contagious, so easy to reinfect yourself or others by close body contact.

Plahgat

When no money... she no give honey! 

• 3 weeks later...

The best thing to do with any girl is shower AFTER sex

For anyone struggling with this, I read about cidofovir, something we use to treat certain viral infections in AIDS patients, as having proved effective in treating pox viruses such as Molluscum. My reference is in Danish, but anyone interested enough should be able to google for it. 

"I'm on the side that's always lost

against the side of heaven.

I'm on the side of snake eyes tossed

against the side of seven."

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...

I've come down with 7 or 8 of these spots .

Not really worried TBH but my ex wife is the gu nurse in the town i live in .

I've got some stuff to treat it myself off the Internet , 1 has scabbed over already after only a week of using .

If anymore appear or they get any bigger I'll have to go bite the bullet and go to the gum clinic .

Not coming back to Pattaya till April so hoping it's all cleared up by then .

Gonna keep using this stuff I have if not I'll try the apple cider vinegar.

This is a inconvenience as I've read it's quite contagious with kids . So have to be careful with my 7-9 year olds .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol..if it really is MC  they will dissapear anyway but not before making your todger look like Vesuvius beforehand.Any pics ?

They are on lower belly , on the pubic area .

2 are about 4mm big the others are tiny maybe 1-2mm .

Can't get pics as at work haha

I put it down to having a wax and also been a excerma suffer all my life .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived