Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | The Night Wish Group | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News | | Pattaya Investigations | ChicaCheck | Buy/Sell Property | Isaan Lawyers | Anglo Siam Legal | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Which flight would you take?

HotMachete

Ok, for those of you who are experienced at flying overseas, rate these flights in order from best option to worst? Assume economy class on each. Cost is about the same for all of them. Right now I'm leaning towards option 2, so thoughts on Asiana Airlines would be appreciated, too. (This will be my first time out of North America, by the way.)

Option 1:

Minneapolis to San Francisco (China Airlines)

San Francisco to Taipei (China Airlines)

Taipei to Bangkok (China Airlines)

Total travel time is 29h.

Option 2:

Minneapolis to Chicago (United)

Chicago to Seoul (Asiana Airlines)

Seoul to Bangkok (Asiana Airlines)

Total travel time is 26h.

Option 3:

Minneapolis to Seattle (Delta)

Seattle to Tokyo (Delta)

Tokyo to Bangkok (Delta)

Total travel time is 24h.

Option 4:

Chicago to Tokyo (United)

Tokyo to Bangkok (All Nippon)

Total travel time is 26h

Option 5:

Minneapolis to Chicago (Cathay Pacific)

Chicago to Hong Kong (Cathay Pacific)

Hong Kong to Bangkok (Cathay Pacific)

Total travel time is 24h

Hi Hotmachete,

Either 3 or 5 looks the best to me as the shorter time you're traveling, the more time you'll have there! you will have to off set it against arrival times!

Bill

Even though its a long day consider what time the flights land in Bangkok. You should get to your hotel within 2 to 2.5 hrs so you may either just want to curl up and sleep or if jet lagged may fancy an evening out.......From the UK I like to arrive in Bangkok about 6pm and then out for the evening by 9.30pm

Though as its your first time you may be better off arriving in the day light to get some awareness of location and surroundings

I'd go all the way with Cathay as if they mess up they have ongoing responsibilty to you

Edited by DJW

I concur with arrival time is more important. Would prefer a slightly longer travel time with say 1900 arrival over shorter travel time and 0100 arrival.

If I lived in MSP, I would just go MSP-NRT-BKK on Delta. Why make two stops instead of one (21 hours)?

If the other options are that much cheaper to make the extra stop worhwhile, I'd go with Cathay Pacific.

I fly this similar route all the time for years...

I normally fly United but generally the food and service sucks.. The seats are OK in Premier zone (extra Legroom) on the 777 but the 747 isn't good.

My suggestion is Asiana for newer planes and food (if you like korean food). Video selection is more focused on Asian content though. The Korean airport is nice but I think the layover is too long.

Cathay seems the best choice for me as I like the HK airport and the flight time is shorter. Cathay service isn't bad but sometimes the planes are a bit older.

My first choice is Cathay via HK and then Asiana.

Good luck and let us know what you come up with. I think I paid like $1300 for a United flight but I got an upgrade so I am kinda stuck with them.

Edited by zerocool

I think I would have to go with option #5 also. Slightly shorter travel time and I've heard Cathey Pacific is a good airlines athough I've never used them.

Ok, for those of you who are experienced at flying overseas, rate these flights in order from best option to worst? Assume economy class on each. Cost is about the same for all of them. Right now I'm leaning towards option 2, so thoughts on Asiana Airlines would be appreciated, too. (This will be my first time out of North America, by the way.)

Option 1:

Minneapolis to San Francisco (China Airlines)

San Francisco to Taipei (China Airlines)

Taipei to Bangkok (China Airlines)

Total travel time is 29h.

Option 2:

Chicago to Seoul (Asiana Airlines)

Seoul to Bangkok (Asiana Airlines)

Total travel time is 26h.

Option 3:

Minneapolis to Seattle (Delta)

Seattle to Tokyo (Delta)

Tokyo to Bangkok (Delta)

Total travel time is 24h.

Option 4:

Chicago to Tokyo (United)

Tokyo to Bangkok (All Nippon)

Total travel time is 26h

Option 5:

Minneapolis to Chicago (Cathay Pacific)

Chicago to Hong Kong (Cathay Pacific)

Hong Kong to Bangkok (Cathay Pacific)

Total travel time is 24h

No Brainer Matey, Option Five

This is the best Airline, may allow you a stopover in Hong Kong ( you are going all that way so why not ? )

China Airlines are Shit the rest seem like a lot of hassle chopping and changing and you arent even near Pats while this is going on. Plus with Number Five you should be able to check Bags right through if you do not intend a stop over.

What you waiting for Book it up

I'd say 5. short travel time and no crap US Airlines.

Never again will I fly across pacific on a US flagged carrier.

FWIW I like China Air (not Air China) I'd still pick them over any US carrier.

Edited by furryman

option number 5

Can not wait for the 13th of jun. Than im back in Pattaya. Must time go away fast and slow down when im in Pattaya

I would definitely go with Cathay Pacific or Asiana. I have flown Asiana numerous times and they are excellent. And they do have western food options that are fine as far as airline food goes. Never flown Cathay Pacific but have always heard good things about them.

I just returned from a trip across the Pacific on United and All Nippon. All Nippon was fine, but United service sucks. To the extent I can will try to stick with Asian airlines in the future.

China Air has the best prices of any airline flying to BKK, but the accommodations suck. So if you can get the same price with another airline, don't fly China Air.

Arrival time would be my first consideration as you could get the Bell Bus in the daytime. As said 2 stopovers would be preferable or even direct if there's a route using the new Airbus.

sgu_banner.gif

Ok, thanks for the advice. I'll be booking my flight this coming Tuesday evening once I see what the low prices for the week are. My plan is to fly out on March 21st and stay for 2 weeks plus a couple extra days and leave April 7th.

I'd be careful of some of those 2 connection options. The connection times are tight.. The chances of your checked bags making the connection with you are not good.

I've looked at the CP flights out of ORD since they now seem to be the cheapest. I decided against them since I wouldn't get miles unless I signed up tor another mileage program and the return flights have like a 13 hour layover.

So I would take the Asiana or go with a one connection (not displayed) on United or Continential even if it was a little more.

I may be a little biased on Asiana since they are the airline I always fly and are very nice. The layover in Korea has been reduced from 10 - 12 hours to 2. Plus my bags always arrive with me (something I can't say for the US airlines)

China Airlines are simply appaling. Unfortunately I cannot offer comparisons with your other selections has I have only flown with cathay pacific and it was years ago, and now I generally fly with European carriers.

But twice recently I flew from UK to Bangkok via Amsterdam with China airlines (KLM from UK to AMS) and as a result will never even consider using China Airlines again.

Option 5

Cathay has good food and good seating

Also and this is the most important to me if a flight is heavy delayed they need to take care for you-and normally will do.

Second bet would be Delta for same reasons but food and seat and IFE sucks.

Also depends on the price if Cathay is nearly the same price go for that.

Cheers

You might also want to look at the Atlantic route. Recently did Newark to Heathrow on Virgin (shit), then onward to BKK on Thai Air. Thai used ancient 747s, but had 34" legroom in economy...just awesome (most airlines give you 29"-30" in coach.) I hear that Thai is upgrading to Airbus 380s for the Heathrow-BKK run; might not be as comfy; any reports yet? From the east coast US, the Atlantic route is about 2 hours shorter than the Pacific route (EWR-Narita-BKK, or EWR-Hong Kong-BKK.) The EWR-Narita run is on Continental's brand new 777s. Really nice aircraft.

How about Minneapolis to LAX to BKK direct with either Delta or Sun Country and onwards with Thai? It would probably be two bookings instead of one without your bags checked through which could be annoying.

Alternatively Minneapolis to Narita to Bangkok with Delta all the way. Or you could hop across the Atlantic to Paris or Amsterdam with Delta and fly onwards with either AF or KLM on a Skyteam ticket.

Thai Airways haven't got their Airbus A380's yet and are not due to get them until Q3 of this year and they won't see service on the LHR-BKK route until early 2013. Thai and Malaysian will be the only new A380 airlines for this year.

There is dozens of options available and you have to decide cost vs. time vs. airline quality vs. aircraft comfort!

Etihad from Chicago to Dubai to BKK is another pretty good option.

My bad, it's Airbus 340-600's that supposedly have replaced the old 747s on the LHR-BKK Thai Air Route. See TG's news release announcing service as of Jan.16. Anyone actually taken a ride in these?

I would go with option 5, but I would check on either Korean Air or ANA out of Chicago before booking. I flew one time on China Air and never again. Definitely stay away from the US carriers!