IGNORED

Obtaining a marriage visa, currently on a tourist visa.

Stevecek

I am currently here on a double entry tourist visa, and as many of us before I have had numerous multiple O entry visas but can not obtain them due to the changes.

Next week I am to marry my long term girlfriend and have been told once we have the certificate I can apply for a marriage visa to stay and not have to do the visa runs anymore!

I realise I need to have 400k in the bank here which is fine and we already have property. What I need to know is as im here on a tourist visa, do I need to return to the UK to change the stamp in my passport to obtain the marriage visa or can I apply here and they will grant me the visa in Thailand. My friend informs me all I need to do is to go along to Jomtien and provide the documents supporting the marriage, residency and my bank account book and they will do the rest to stay each year, is this correct?

Does anyone have any experience with this or can they point me in the direction of someone who can help?

Many thanks

As long as you know what to expect............ you'll love it!!!!

I'm going to answer your question differently than some other will. And I will try to explain why ...

First: You are here on a tourist visa; that tells me two things - you haven't moved here permanently and you are still making "regular" trips to your home country.

Second: You didn't say whether you will live her permanently after getting married and NOT return regularly to your home country.

Third: I'm assuming you aren't old enough for a retirement visa (50).

---------------------

I am married to a Thai. But I still travel to my home country three times a year for work. While I am there, I update my visas (which for Thailand is the Non-O for Spouse).

This allows me multiple entry, up to 90 days per visit without having to leave the country. There is no extension available, so you must exit the country prior to the expiration of the 90th day. For me it works wonders, because I fly to Angeles every month.

There are no paperwork requirements (other than the consulate application with copy of her ID and copy of our filed marriage certificate), no house information provided, no one will come to see if my wife and I are still married, no bank requirements, my wife doesn't have to appear at immigration, no one will contact my neighbors to see if I really live there, no delays due to whatever-issue-of-the-day or other bullshit that the TRUE spouse visa requires.

Now, I'm sure some of the other married guys here will chime in on the TRUE spouse visa requirements; or if you are over 50, the retirement visa.

Edited by travelling_man

ow, I'm sure some of the other married guys here will chime in on the TRUE spouse visa requirements; or if you are over 50, the retirement visa.

I am in a similar situation as you and what you say is correct.

I am not sure whether you can get a non-immigrant vise while in Thailand but someone may know.

If it turns out that you can't and have to leave Thailand you may want to contact the consulate in Kuala Lumpur. I got a non-immigrant visa from there in August. All that was required was a photo (they ask for two on their site but gave one back when I submitted), the original marriage certificate and a Thai bank book showing a balance of at least 100 000 Baht. The only difference with me is that I have a Malaysian work permit and I don't know if that makes a difference. You would need to phone hem as they didn't answer my initial email.

Thai Consulate KL

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

I'm going to answer your question differently than some other will. And I will try to explain why ...

First: You are here on a tourist visa; that tells me two things - you haven't moved here permanently and you are still making "regular" trips to your home country.

Second: You didn't say whether you will live her permanently after getting married and NOT return regularly to your home country.

Third: I'm assuming you aren't old enough for a retirement visa (50).

---------------------

I am married to a Thai. But I still travel to my home country three times a year for work. While I am there, I update my visas (which for Thailand is the Non-O for Spouse).

This allows me multiple entry, up to 90 days per visit without having to leave the country. There is no extension available, so you must exit the country prior to the expiration of the 90th day. For me it works wonders, because I fly to Angeles every month.

There are no paperwork requirements (other than the consulate application with copy of her ID and copy of our filed marriage certificate), no house information provided, no one will come to see if my wife and I are still married, no bank requirements, my wife doesn't have to appear at immigration, no one will contact my neighbors to see if I really live there, no delays due to whatever-issue-of-the-day or other bullshit that the TRUE spouse visa requires.

Now, I'm sure some of the other married guys here will chime in on the TRUE spouse visa requirements; or if you are over 50, the retirement visa.

Hi thanks,

We have both been back in the UK the last 5 months and now I would like to remain here once married as Ive no reason to contuine back to the UK.

Im not over 50, so it doest help me a great deal. So leaving every 90 days will be a real pain. From what ive been told I could just sign at Jomtien every 90 once I have obtained the visa?

I am not sure whether you can get a non-immigrant vise while in Thailand but someone may know.

If it turns out that you can't and have to leave Thailand you may want to contact the consulate in Kuala Lumpur. I got a non-immigrant visa from there in August. All that was required was a photo (they ask for two on their site but gave one back when I submitted), the original marriage certificate and a Thai bank book showing a balance of at least 100 000 Baht. The only difference with me is that I have a Malaysian work permit and I don't know if that makes a difference. You would need to phone hem as they didn't answer my initial email.

Thai Consulate KL

Great if I cant ill look into this option!!!

Many thanks

I got married but continued to work overseas for a little while longer. Once I was ready to move here full-time, I arrived on a 90-day tourist visa, then had that converted to a non-immigrant O visa based on marriage to a Thai national. There was no requirement to leave the country to have my visa converted. I just met the requirements (x amount of money in bank, a genuine relationship as opposed to an arranged marriage, and a place to stay). All the required documents were taken to the Jomtien immigration office, along with my wife and our infant son. We met with an immigration officer, were asked a few routine questions, and I was given a 1-month temporary non-immigrant O visa.

A month later I went back alone. My wife would have been required to go, but that would mean we'd have to take our infant son along with us as well, so the immigration officer said not to worry about her coming with me the 2nd time. I showed up, found out I was approved for the 1-year, non-immigrant O visa, and got that put into my passport. I'm now required to show up to the Jomtien immigration office every 3 months, with no need to do border runs.

While mine is a single entry visa, I can apply for a multi-entry visa if I want. I haven't done that, but it's probably smart to do so in case there's an emergency with a family member back in your home country and you have to leave Thailand on short notice. If I had to do that, then I'd have to come back to Thailand on a 30-day tourist stamp, then re-apply all over again for my non-immigrant O visa, which would be a pain in the ass.

Hope I've answered your question. Good luck with the paperwork and with your marriage! And, if you don't know how to get to the Jomtien immigration office, you can check this link for video directions:

http://streetviewpattaya.com/other/directions/to-jomtien-immigration-office/

I got married but continued to work overseas for a little while longer. Once I was ready to move here full-time, I arrived on a 90-day tourist visa, then had that converted to a non-immigrant O visa based on marriage to a Thai national. There was no requirement to leave the country to have my visa converted. I just met the requirements (x amount of money in bank, a genuine relationship as opposed to an arranged marriage, and a place to stay). All the required documents were taken to the Jomtien immigration office, along with my wife and our infant son. We met with an immigration officer, were asked a few routine questions, and I was given a 1-month temporary non-immigrant O visa.

A month later I went back alone. My wife would have been required to go, but that would mean we'd have to take our infant son along with us as well, so the immigration officer said not to worry about her coming with me the 2nd time. I showed up, found out I was approved for the 1-year, non-immigrant O visa, and got that put into my passport. I'm now required to show up to the Jomtien immigration office every 3 months, with no need to do border runs.

While mine is a single entry visa, I can apply for a multi-entry visa if I want. I haven't done that, but it's probably smart to do so in case there's an emergency with a family member back in your home country and you have to leave Thailand on short notice. If I had to do that, then I'd have to come back to Thailand on a 30-day tourist stamp, then re-apply all over again for my non-immigrant O visa, which would be a pain in the ass.

Hope I've answered your question. Good luck with the paperwork and with your marriage! And, if you don't know how to get to the Jomtien immigration office, you can check this link for video directions:

http://streetviewpat...gration-office/

Great this is exactly what I was looking for, ill contact the Jomtien office as as soon as we are back from BKK.

Many thanks

Great this is exactly what I was looking for, ill contact the Jomtien office as as soon as we are back from BKK.

Many thanks

You're welcome. Glad I was able to help.

Thai Consulate KL

Just in case this is of interest to someone else I forgot that a copy of her house book was also required.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

You might find they want photos of you & the wife around your house & in the bedroom (nothing untoward) also some with the family plus they may ask you to draw a map of your route to the immigration office, Udon Thani office requires these not sure about Jomtien

M.C.H.

Jomtien office does ask for the papers that you mentioned as we had dealings with them very recently.

Where is the office in Udon as we need to be there shortly?

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

udontony

The immigration office in Udon is behind the Police station on Srisuk Rd. which is the road that leads to the Prince Prajak Monument rounabout, You can find it on Udon Thani map ref K12

M.C.H.

Many thanks, have been looking on internet but as usual this forum seems to work out best for me.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad I found this post. I'm considering applying for an non immigrant o visa and don't know if I meet the requirements, so hopefully someone can help me.

I've been living in Thailand on back to back double entry tourists visas, and recently got married here My wife is about to apply for a settlement visa in the UK but this will take up to 3 months. The problem is, my current visa extension expires in March. I want to stay in Thailand a bit longer to wait for the wife's visa, maybe another 3 months, then hopefully we can both go to the UK.

I can't get another tourist visa because I've had loads already - 3 back to back visas, 1 issued in the UK, 1 in Vietnam and the last one in Laos. I think I'd be pissing in the wind if I went down this route again.

And I don't fancy the idea of travelling to Cambodia or Laos and then flying straight back to get 30 days at the airport. That will be a pain in the arse, and expensive, having to come and go every month.

So that leaves with me the possibility of a non immigrant o visa. I can provide proof of the relationship, marriage cetificate, photographs with the family, plenty of that sort of stuff, but the proof of finances might be a problem. The main reason i'm going back to the Uk is the money's drying up and I need to work.

Can anyone tell me how much money I would need to have to meet the requirements of an o visa? I only want to apply for a 90 day visa, not a full year.

Do you think I'll have any problems getting the visa, what with me having back to back tourist visas?

Any ideas of the costs, and the pros and cons of using a travel agent?