IGNORED

Blocked iPhone

Last time I was in Los I took my iPhone 4 to a shop and was charged 600 baht so that a local sim card would work as it was locked to orange before I think any way I lost everything on my phone except my numbers really annoying so I'm I right in saying they changed the firm ware rather than just unlocking the phone ????? When I got home I updated the phone on iTunes and when I went back to Los it wouldn't accept the sim does anybody no what is stopping the phone from working and how to unlock the phone I thought it would work as I've jail broke it but it don't any help appreciated thanks

If its Jail-broken then you can NOT hook back up to Itunes. Itunes recognizes the phone is Jail-broken and updates it, therefore loosing the Jail-broken mode.

First connect back to Itunes and update it to the latest software. You can check your version by going to SETTINGS-GENERAL-ABOUT-Version???

I think the most recent version is 5.0.1 (9A405)

Then Go to www.iclarified.com/jailbreak and follow directions to Jail-Break it again. Its fairly easy, quick and FREE, and its should also save all your old data/numbers.

Once its unlocked use cydia.saurik.com for adding apps to your phone. DO NOT HOOK BACK INTO ITUNES otherwise it willupdate and revert back to Unlocked mode. You might want to disable Itunes on your computer if u hook into it for power.

Edited by SlickMonkey

So I've disabled the jail break by updating it ? And if I jail break it again it will work in Los ?????

Jailbreaking and unlocking are two different things. Depending on what Iphone you have if you updated your baseband then you might not be able to unlock anymore. Google your Iphone and firmware and see if you are still able to unlock, if you are then it is pretty easy to do yourself.

And yes by updating the firmware through itunes you disabled any jailbreak and unlock. Also my ipod and iphone are both jailbroken and I use itunes all the time without a problem, as long as you don't update you can use it just fine.

Edited by Ohyesuare

If it's just an unlock you want orange will do it for you if you have had the phone for more than 3 months.. there maybe a charge of £20 to pay.

They or any other carrier for that matter request an unlock from apple, you will receive a text from them between 2-14 days later telling you to put a different sim in and connect to itunes. itunes will pop up saying your phone is unlocked.

Going the jailbreak route if you have updated and your firmware is now 04-11-08 (you can check this under general, settings then about) your screwed as there is no unlock for this firmware even if you re-jailbreak it. if your firmware is not 04-11-08 pm me and i'll talk you through re-jailbreaking it.

Also what ohyesuare is saying is correct, you can carry on using itunes without any problems at all, just if itunes tells you there is an update available don't do it,

Edited by neo1011

I work hard to support those on benefits! :Banghead2:

Unlocking and Jail-Breaking are indeed to different things. If you just want to be able to use the phone in Thailand then have your cell operator have it unlocked before you go.

Jail-Breaking allows you to use any sim card but also allows you to use some really cool Apps such as "My3g", HOWEVER, if u hook back up with Itunes and it tries to update then DONT DO IT. MY3G app allows you to "Face-time" with only a 3G signal without having to actually be on WIFI signal. Jail-Broken phones have thousands of free and inexpensive apps you can put on your phone that Apple (itunes) doesnt offer.

Seems like u just want it UN-Locked. Go to your carrier and ask them to unlock it so u can use a foreign SIM card.

Edited by SlickMonkey

Tesco lotus , Nokia 499 baht ....

Tesco lotus , Nokia 499 baht ....

Right answer.

An I-Phone in Patts is a major theft target anyway. Leave it home with the rolex and your other overpriced toys.

If you are going to travel outside the US, get an unlocked phone. It will run US sim cards as well if it is a quadband.

Thanks for the replies I think I'll get orange to unlock it save the bullshit

I wish i had unlocked mine before going. My Iphone doubles as a camera and is fine for the level of photography i am at ( crap) it gives ok shots in a bar or a room and saves me lugging a camera around. Easy to slip into your front pocket so it is pretty safe

• 1 month later...

Get a Gevey card. That will work. I updated my iphone 4 to the newest locked modem firmware. It will not allow unlocking....Bought the Gevey card which is suppose to support all basebands. This worked perfect. I used it last time i was in LOS and it works fine with my happy card.

http://applenberry.com/store/gevey-sim/gevey-ultra

LineID: photoguy35