IGNORED

Quad Band Phone

Tony59329

Coming from the US my wireless phone doesn't work anywhere else in the world. I therefore need to buy an unlocked quad band phone that will work in Thailand and also in Europe.

My question is should I buy one here before I leave, say from Ebay or should I buy one from Tesco in Bangkok or Tukcom in Pattaya?

Any thoughts Guys?

Edited by Tony59329

You can get one from Amazon. Mine works all over the world. Thailand has a million phone shops that will sell you one for super cheap though. They can set you up with the Sim and the phone easily. They are everywhere.

I had the same issue. Bought a new unlocked, quad band phone on amazon. works great. It was an android phone (sony erricson xperia). Got a happy sim card when i arrived. 65B for the card, plus a 100B top up lasted me for 2 weeks, and also worked with 3g data. There are places buy phones in Patts, tucom for instance, but easier and cheaper to buy before you travel. If you want a basic quad band phone you should be able to get one on ebay for around $40.

Sorry if I am hijacking the thread but it is somewhat related. Can I get 3G internet for a AT&T IPAD buying sim cards in Thailand?

Coming from the US my wireless phone doesn't work anywhere else in the world. I therefore need to buy an unlocked quad band phone that will work in Thailand and also in Europe.

My question is should I buy one here before I leave, say from Ebay or should I buy one from Tesco in Bangkok or Tukcom in Pattaya?

Depends on where you go first - BKK or Patts.

Now depending on what phone and phone service you have, your phone may or may not work. My T-Mobile tri band was locked, as are most US phones, but uses a SIM card (ATT also uses sim, Spring and Verizon do not, so most likely would have to get a new phone).

You don't need a quad band, my tri band works just fine after having it unlocked at TUK com. I've used it with SIM cards in Europe as well as Peru, and curently using it back in US with T Mobile SIM.

Agree that you can buy an unlocked phone on Ebay or other places in US, and if it's WiFi enabled you can do your thing in Starbucks or other places that have WiFi.

I bouhgt a couple of cheap (1000 Baht) phones in the past that worked well, and these will almost certainly work in Europe as well.

@ Contangee two posts before

DTAC and TRUE runs 3g on 850 Mhz in tourist areas of BKK, Pattaya and Phuket. Also available as

Prepaid SIMs. Either they have Micro - SIMs already or you let them get cut in shape.

Your IPAD should not have SIM- or Netlock

rgds

The advantage of getting an unlocked quad band is that it will work anywhere in the world (with a local SIM.) If you travel internationally at all, it's worth picking up a quad. If you're just going to Patts, something cheap in Tukcom will suffice.

FWIW, the cheapest reliable unlocked quad band on Ebay these days is the Motorola V188 at under $20. Small and dorky flip phone, but works like a champ for calling and texting with anybody's sim card.