IGNORED

how many baht buses

Mr Blackpool

I would trade all of them for 60 full size city buses.

Why?

ทำให้ไม่ชอบสงคราม

Yeah and I would trade all of them for 60 full size city buses.

Not me. full size buses would not be able to stop as many places or be as available when you want one. We can gripe about how the baht buses aren't perfect but I got to say they are WAY better than any system in any other town I've seen.

However many there are they definitely need more over the Xmas / new year period. It was a nightmare trying to flag one down during this period as they were all full

700 baht bus.... The quotes below is from Pattaya One Newspaper dating 26 th March 20011..

700 Baht Buses in Pattaya are about to receive 4 Million Baht’s worth of environmentally friendly brake’s thanks to a generous donation by The Asia Compact Thailand Company Limited, based in Bangkok. Dr. Weerachai, Minister for Science and Technology presided over a ceremony at the Central Festival Pattaya Beach on Friday to announce the asbestos-free brakes which will be fitted to Baht Buses. The Minister announced this is an essential first step in reducing air pollution here in Pattaya and welcomes the kind donation from the company who promise to work closely with Pattaya City in the future to ensure that all government vehicles are fitted with the “Green” brake’s.

Edited by jocky king

Seems like 90% of them are just stopping for private hires these days and ignoring the 10 baht customers.

700 seems like the right number then.

Have you ever seen their system when Walking Street is winding down?

They line the street a very very long way up 2nd road wait for their turn....it's quite a sight.

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

how do you know which way they are going I've lost count of the number of times I've been on one wanting to go straight then 500 yards down the road it turns off!!!!

Well I would like to have the choice, the option, anyway of a full size bus . When you ride these

baht buses- day in day out- the problems with some drivers and problems with some

passengers adds up. For me one of those problems is smokers. About 2-3 years ago

a bus company attempted to start up a full size city bus service, you can still see the big red

bus stop signs around . But that business was sabotaged by the baht buses : among other

things they would park and block the bus stops.

Edited by sss

Ask before you get on simple really

how do you know which way they are going I've lost count of the number of times I've been on one wanting to go straight then 500 yards down the road it turns off!!!!

ASK before you get on simple really

Well I would like to have the choice, the option, anyway of a full size bus . When you ride these

baht buses- day in day out- the problems with some drivers and problems with some

passengers adds up. For me one of those problems is smokers. About 2-3 years ago

a bus company attempted to start up a full size city bus service, you can still see the big red

bus stop signs around . But that business was sabotaged by the baht buses : among other

things they would park and block the bus stops.

While full size real busses would offer improvements in some areas, in others it would be a downgrade. Yes, you could enforce no smoking. Yes, you could enforce seating comfort. But what if you are 400 yards from a bus stop? How would large city busses doing the look impact traffic? What if you wanted one to go down a soi to a particular building cause you are taking a new TV home?

Nothing is perfect. But they beat the heck out of Phuket's tuk tuk mafia or Bangkok's taxi mafia.

If the smokers really bug you then you either have to pay more for a private taxi or get off whenever a smoker lights up on one and pay for the next baht bus. Yes, it sucks. I am a reformed smoker and don't like the smell. And I know some are actually allergic to it. I'm just saying it is what it is and the solution is your choice to get off since in Thailand you won't be enforcing any no smoking areas on baht busses.

As for the drivers I have no problems with them. Provided you pay them there is no issue. One hopes you aren't trying to still pay 5 baht. Hmm, the old how much for baht bus debate :GoldenSmile1:

ASK before you get on simple really

No it is not actually. Asking is a good way to get mistaken for doing a private hire and the driver asking for a large amount once you get off. I doubt they would tell you the truth or even have a route set in stone anyway. If the driver turns get out and take another one, and repeat as necessary. I would advise against speaking with the drivers, I see the Russians asking how much after they get off with their whole family and the driver smiling as he quotes them a silly price. This is while I shove my 10 baht through the window and walk off.