IGNORED

Magic Jack?

zerocool

Anyone have any experience with Magic Jack recently? I was wondering how it works in Thailand. I have heard good things about it for US calls.

Magic jack is stupid to be honest.... You can use google voice for free or use skype. No point in bringin a laptop which has speakers and mic and also a telephone haha. Also the service is very expensive compared to other things.... Google voice is free calling to USA.

I have used magic jack for two years to call back to the US from South America and Asia and think it is a great product. . It is $29 a year and you can call the US for free from anywhere. I bought it for business calls as I had problems with Skype's call quality. I would recommend magic jack to anyone needing to make frequent calls back home, and the number shows up on caller ID as a US number that you can select, so know one needs to know you are out of the country. If they call the number and your computer is not on, the voicemail will be sent to you via email in a .wav file.

I was an early user of magic jack. Back then, after getting it, they had a special to add 5 years of service for $69.99. It's been our home phone for years, and is attached to the base station of our wireless phones so that it's effectively connected to 4 phones around the house. In the US we keep it connected to the backup/printer computer that's always on. We've taken it to Thailand and used it with a laptop and a cheap small phone to call the US. It's doesn't have enought bandwidth for FAXs, but it's fine for voice.

I understand there's a new version that doesn't need a computer. It connects directly to an ethernet cable.

I have had magic jack in each home for years. I alternate between skype and MJ depending on how good my internet is that day ...

The new MJ that does not require a computer is selling like crazy in the US and has been difficult to find and buy. I will change to that one as soon as I can get a few because it eliminates the need for MJ to use computer resources.

SKYPE does not give you a free incoming tel number; Magic Jack does. Magic Jack works well with our wiresless home phones.

I have been using Magic jack for 2 plus years, love it and highly recommend it to anyone that travel's with a laptop.

Moderator on PiAtNight and Living the Dream in Angeles City, Philippines :)