Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Farang searching rubbish bins for plastic bottles?

Binjalin

I was really shocked to see this guy a few weeks ago searching bins, Thai style, for plastic bottles.

Have seen a guy (maybe the same guy) doing the same along the northern end of Beach Road.

Often wondered how much money they could be worth.

Fuck all I reckon.

Yep ! So did I...

He was looking realy dirty. Looking like the homeless in the streets at home.

Don't know what happens with this guys.

This guy didn't look too dirty (but i didn't get too close!) kinda thin with a short beard. I mean WTF collecting bottles from the trash on Beach Road? I had to look twice to see if I was seeing things but nope he was opening up green trash bins taking out bottles. He sure has hit rock bottom and there must be a better way - repatriation? anyway it sure was humiliating and I'm sure the Thai down-and-outs love the competition from a farang!

PS and what about his visa? still can't believe it

Edited by Binjalin

German-Vagrant-Pattaya1.jpg

You mean this German guy ? He's around for a while already , his girlfriend left him and took al he had .

He still believes one day she will come back to him .

Not shore how he's getting a visa .

WTF collecting bottles from the trash on Beach Road?

Hmmm... He might be aboard member. This advice has been given few days ago as a way to do it on a budget in Pattaya...

You mean this German guy ?

the guy I saw looked lot more miserable than this one.

You mean this German guy ? He's around for a while already , his girlfriend left him and took al he had .

No he looked more 'respectable' than this guy and didnt look like he lived on the 'streets'

It’s very sad seeing stranded Farangs in LOS.

That reminds me of the words of a seasoned German expat, whom I met right after I moved to LOS: “Thailand is one of the best countries in the world if you have got some money, but it’s one of the worst if you haven’t.”

Edited by Benny10

BEER: HELPING UGLY PEOPLE HAVE SEX SINCE 3000 B.C.

That reminds me of the words of a seasoned German expat, whom I met right after I had moved to LOS: “Thailand is one of the best countries in the world if you have got some money, but it’s one of the worst if you haven’t.”

Agree +1 :GoldenSmile1:

If it's the same guy I first saw him a few years ago and my GF told me he'd been doing it for a long time and seemed to do it more for something to do as opposed to needing the few baht he'd make.

That reminds me of the words of a seasoned German expat, whom I met right after I moved to LOS: “Thailand is one of the best countries in the world if you have got some money, but it’s one of the worst if you haven’t.”

I can think of a whole lot of African nations and quite a few Central Asian countries that would be tougher on an indigent falang than Thailand. Not that I'm encouraging it, but nobody starves in Thailand or gets left out in the snow to freeze to death. It wouldn't be much of a life, but almost any temple would give the down & out a meal, a shower and a mat to sleep on......along with some chores to do if they were physically able.

From my limited experience with him and from what I've read, the German guy in the back of the pick-up was mentally unstable and was repatriated a couple months back.

If all mankind minus one were of one opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind. John Stuart Mill
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/authors/john_stuart_mill

"If all mankind minus one were of one opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person

than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."  John Stuart Mill

I can think of a whole lot of African nations and quite a few Central Asian countries that would be tougher on an indigent falang than Thailand. Not that I'm encouraging it, but nobody starves in Thailand or gets left out in the snow to freeze to death. It wouldn't be much of a life, but almost any temple would give the down & out a meal, a shower and a mat to sleep on......along with some chores to do if they were physically able.

From my limited experience with him and from what I've read, the German guy in the back of the pick-up was mentally unstable and was repatriated a couple months back.

Most probably there are many countries where stranded foreigners are treated much worse. On the other hannd there also numerous countries where at least the basic needs are taken care by the public.

Anyhow, I guess that the German gentleman simply tried to explain that LOS is a great place with money, but very much different without.

BEER: HELPING UGLY PEOPLE HAVE SEX SINCE 3000 B.C.

I know farangs who live in Pattaya who are basically living a day to day hand to mouth existence. Some people should stop kidding on they are living the dream and in reality go home and start earning a living.

You Dont Need Eyes To See

You Need Vision

There are a couple of farangs who go into Carrefour (now Big C extra) food hall every lunchtime. They wander around looking for unfinished food and drink and they sit and consume it. Then they wander to another table and do the same thing. They are both dressed neatly and clean in appearance. I eat there every day and see them each time. It costs about 35-50 baht for a plate of food in there so they are not saving a fortune !!!

I was in CarreFour now Big C extra parking my car and a 60ish farang was picking through the garbage looking for plastic bottles. He was dressed nice enough and seemed sober. The TG I was with says at least he's not out begging. On the flip side I live on the DS and there is a rough looking slob that sits in the police box to the entrance of Soi KaoTalo/Sukumvit 6 hours a day, he always carries 2 plastic bags of clothes and looks like he hasn't shaved in 6 months. One time I asked the 7/11 girl about him (as he was standing outside looking in), she said he's crazy and sometimes shows his cock to the girls in 7/11. He never begs but what a shitty life.

Edited by Wolf Cat

That's the "Man in Black" - I wondered what happened to him, so he finally got picked up by the cops, probably in a mental hospital or repatriated back to Germany. Earlier this year I used to see the poor bastard every day and sometimes gave him a few baht.

Some of this is likely due to mental illness. That really bothers me, as I had a sibling who struggled with severe mental illness her whole life (until she finally succeeded in taking her own life). I don't joke about mental illness, nor do I find the subject funny when portrayed in movies that make light of it.

Maybe they had the money to get to LOS and foolishly thought it would last them forever, but it ran out. Sad stories that really bring me down. When times were better for me, I would try to help where I could, but I'm watching my own pennies a little closer these days. Still, I've got a couple of very minor ideas that I hope will help out some of the people at local shelters here.

Perhaps the saddest part of the story for me is that I HAVE a bunch of cans and bottles waiting to be recycled for cash! I'm not broke/homeless (my apt is actually surrounded by multimillion dollar homes), but California hits for me for a "deposit" of 5 cents on every can/bottle (10 cents if a large one) -- I drink a ton of soda, and I'm a cheap fucker who wants my damn money back from the bloodsuckers in our State government! LOL!

I know farangs who live in Pattaya who are basically living a day to day hand to mouth existence. Some people should stop kidding on they are living the dream and in reality go home and start earning a living.

exactly - I am sorry for anyone who gets ripped off and is stranded but there are embassies - I am not so sympathetic to farangs who dont want to work and want to free-load. I am here after 33 years solid working and saving etc. and being responsible so that i can have a comfortable retirement and not have to dig around for cans and plastic - I understand some Thais doing it but frankly not farangs.

• 1 month later...

there is a farang woman in her early fifties who was dirty and going through a large rubbish bin near bangkok pattaya hospital,i felt so sorry for her, has any one else seen her or knows her story.

I think for most people the hardest thing would be admitting they were wrong about LOS to those back home, I have also met a few expat who can’t go home due to debt problems (they ran up massive debts then legged it to LOS).

There used to be what I think was an English guy doing exactly the same around soi kaotalo, but not seen him for about a year. Not a lifestyle I would want to pursue myself, but he was not harming anyone.

Reminds me of a couple of Poms I met in Kanchanaburi a couple of years ago, I was sitting in a bar chewing through the 10000bht I had left in my wallet before heading home the next day. They had been in Thailand for 5 months with 1 month to go, and were trying to scrape up enough for 1 more Singha for the night. Whilst out of pity I bought them a couple of beers as they eyed enviously as I barfined 3 girls and shouted ladydrinks, I just thought to myself "why don't you fuck off home get some money and come back you sad gits" I don't go to Thailand to live like the locals I go to enjoy

Work the curse of the drinking classes. - Oscar Wilde

Reminds me of a couple of Poms I met in Kanchanaburi a couple of years ago, I was sitting in a bar chewing through the 10000bht I had left in my wallet before heading home the next day. They had been in Thailand for 5 months with 1 month to go, and were trying to scrape up enough for 1 more Singha for the night. Whilst out of pity I bought them a couple of beers as they eyed enviously as I barfined 3 girls and shouted ladydrinks, I just thought to myself "why don't you fuck off home get some money and come back you sad gits" I don't go to Thailand to live like the locals I go to enjoy

Too many seem to behave in the same manner that you have described. Maybe that is one reason why the visa situation is so difficult even for responsible people that wish to stay long term.