IGNORED

Areca Lodge review

Bira

This review is from another site.

I lost the room key and they said 200 Baht for a new one. I couldn't believe it. Never heard of any hotel doing something like this. One of the 2 clerks at the front desk (of the Evergreen building), says "this is not a 5 star hotel". Just for a little piece of plastic. I absolutely refused to pay it. They were demanding about it. Since I was scheduled to check out in 6 hours, I decided to check out right then and there and if they were going to charge my credit card the 200Baht I would make sure that my credit card refused payment. I guess they decided they were not going to have their way with me, so they sent a manager out to try to try to get the 200 Baht from me. I also told this manager that I would rather check out than pay this absurd fee. He then relented, got the housekeeping to open my room, and I got to stay in the room that I paid for. I stayed at the new Evergreen building. Not that much of a walk from where you enter the main property. However, this was in the very pleasant weather of December, so consider this if it's in the hot or rainy season. Too bad about their idiotic policy of charging for a replacement room key, which really left a very bad impression. Heck, most hotels actually give you more than one, and some even ask how many would you like.

Their breakfast buffet doesn't look very large, but it is outstanding.

http://www.agoda.com/asia/thailand/pattaya/areca_lodge_hotel.html

TGOEA

I don't think the hotel is being unreasonable in asking 200 baht to replace the key.

I'm sure it would cost them a lot more than that to replace it plus the additional time involved.

200 baht - a lousy $6 Australian.

Don't say it's the principal involved, there's no principal involved.

You lost the key and it has to be replaced.

Pay the money and drop the attitude.

Although i don't think the charge for the lost key card is unreasonable, it's just little things like this where i think the Areca lets itself down in terms of it's customer relations. For the sake of 200 baht they could have lost a many time repeat customer.

I have stayed there 7 or 8 times. On my last stay i wanted a late check out. I asked for 3pm , they said the latest i could check out without charge was 1pm. So they charged me half the room fee that at the time was 1000 baht for checking out at 3. I tried to do a deal, but there was absolutely no chance.

I wanted to stay there on my last trip, but they were booked up. I still wanted to use the pool on occasions and accepted there would be a charge. This is now doubled from previous years and is 200 baht. I would pop by some days at around 4pm, so i would only be staying 1.5 hours max. Didn't matter, still 200 baht. The reception staff mostly all recognise me as a repeat customer, but made no odds, still the full days charge.

Ok, only small change here and there, but just small things that can leave you with a good feeling about a place or not. Especially when most of the guesthouses on LK Metro will bend over backwards for you to make sure you have good stay, makes you wonder if it's worth the extra.

200 baht key big deal for 2000 room per night ? Cheap charlie imho.

I would understand the complain from 500b per night hotel...

I don't think the concept of charging for lost keys (cards) is that unusual, and I'm sure the majority of hotels would actually charge for a replacement. Staying at LK Royal Suites last May, I was informed at check-in that losing a card would result in a 500THB charge being added to my account.

IMO it's partially a charge for the inconvenience and cost of replacing and coding a new card, and partly a deterrent to stop folks 'souveniering' the card on their way home.

If I lose my swipe-card for work, I get stung $80 to replace it. I'm sure it doesn't really cost that much, but it sure as hell makes people keep their cards safe! :D

If the service a hotel provides is of poor quality in relation to the cost of staying there, then it's fair enough to be annoyed. Getting told you'll be charged for damages and losses is pretty straight-forward practice everywhere these days, you have to accept it as there's no alternative.

Cheers

Perthie

Perthie's PA Bash and Bikini/Glow Party 19th May 2017.  Bikini clad girls in body paint, great food including pig roast, free shots, games and prizes for the lads and lasses.

6pm onwards at Sexy In The City (Soi 6) under the hosting expertise of the magnificent Xylanic.

Dan boy , does the 200 baht get you all day access to the pool ? Can you use in the morning then pop out for lunch then come back again in afternoon ?

Dan boy , does the 200 baht get you all day access to the pool ? Can you use in the morning then pop out for lunch then come back again in afternoon ?

Pretty sure it does, you get given a ticket at reception..

I don't think the hotel is being unreasonable in asking 200 baht to replace the key.

I'm sure it would cost them a lot more than that to replace it plus the additional time involved.

200 baht - a lousy $6 Australian.

Don't say it's the principal involved, there's no principal involved.

You lost the key and it has to be replaced.

Pay the money and drop the attitude.

Spot on.