IGNORED

Pattaya Bay Resort

jp vic

I'm here now.. Decided to give it another try on 2 separate occasions during my 2 month stay. The hotel is still the same although some rooms have been freshened up with a coat of paint and new aircon units (in some rooms only). There are a wide variety of tv channels as usual which is good if you want a night in for a change.

They have changed their internet provider and it has deteriorated big time. I use the wifi for work also so it is important the service is descent. This time round though, whoever it is they had in to upgrade the internet has made a boo boo.. Seems their server is plagued with errors and blocks you from opening pages. For example, I tried to open 2 of my UK creditcard providers and my UK internet banking page as well as numerous other searches.. No joy. It is deffo the PBR internet cause it worked perfect in the last hotel and internet cafe I used hours prior to checking in... I find it very strange and annoying.

I spoke with the manageress about it and asked if I had tried the computers in the foyer, I did and the result was the same. I havent heard anything else fro her even though 2 further enquiries were brought up to reception. Nothing worse than getting the run around.

babydollsaddict.gif

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• brewster

• Havver

• jacksonmi6

• Mart39

I'm here now.. Decided to give it another try on 2 separate occasions during my 2 month stay. The hotel is still the same although some rooms have been freshened up with a coat of paint and new aircon units (in some rooms only). There are a wide variety of tv channels as usual which is good if you want a night in for a change.

They have changed their internet provider and it has deteriorated big time. I use the wifi for work also so it is important the service is descent. This time round though, whoever it is they had in to upgrade the internet has made a boo boo.. Seems their server is plagued with errors and blocks you from opening pages. For example, I tried to open 2 of my UK creditcard providers and my UK internet banking page as well as numerous other searches.. No joy. It is deffo the PBR internet cause it worked perfect in the last hotel and internet cafe I used hours prior to checking in... I find it very strange and annoying.

I spoke with the manageress about it and asked if I had tried the computers in the foyer, I did and the result was the same. I havent heard anything else fro her even though 2 further enquiries were brought up to reception. Nothing worse than getting the run around.

That's potentially very annoying as previously the wi-fi always worked well.

I'm a long-time PBR regular, since it opened and stay there once or twice a month. Since Dr Kim sold up it's certainly changing and not for the better. They are now asking for a credit card to guarantee a booking, which they've never asked me for before and the personal touch that Dr Kim used to bring to the place has been lost. the reception girls are as nice (and cute, especially Auw) as always but you can tell that they aren't enjoying working there as much (and they'll confirm this, quietly, if you ask them!). I'm just waiting to see if they try to enforce the ludicrous 11.00am check-out time, which they've never done previously!

By the way, when I was there on 15/16 February there was still some noise from the construction next door although it was bearable.

That's sad, only place I've ever stayed at in Pattaya, always enjoyed it. Already booked my next stay there, guess I'll have to judge for myself whether I'll continue to stay there or move on.

What other options would people recommend in the same price range (999b low season, 1399b high season) with the same amentities?

Was already thinking about looking elsewhere during high season since 'everyone' keeps telling me there are similiar or better places to stay for the same amount of money. Just haven't been arsed to actually walk around looking for them, I don't trust the websites now days, would rather see it first hand before making a decision.

PBR has just changed the low season...................previously started 15 April to 30 October

Now begins ...........................................................1 May to 30 October (999 BHT + tax)

Stay 7 nights.......pay 6 has gone also ( low season)

High season rates there are too high.

There is much better value in Pattaya for 1500 bht a night for standard room.

Agree with Brewster the hotel is slowly going on a downward spiral.

Its a shame as i always enjoyed staying there

TIT......time to change

James023

PBR has just changed the low season...................previously started 15 April to 30 October

Now begins ...........................................................1 May to 30 October (999 BHT + tax)

Stay 7 nights.......pay 6 has gone also ( low season)

High season rates there are too high.

There is much better value in Pattaya for 1500 bht a night for standard room.

Agree with Brewster the hotel is slowly going on a downward spiral.

Its a shame as i always enjoyed staying there

TIT......time to change

James023

I am also at the PBR now and agree prices are creeping up. I also don't like the new policy of having to put down a 10,000bt deposit for a reservation.

The good news: I have better internet service this year than last and the noise from construction next door is not an issue, at least at this time.

I have always really liked this place, but like others will be looking for other alternatives.

Women Are Like Elephants. I Like to Look At Em. But I Wouldn't Want to Own One. - WC Fields

It seems that in one sense the prices have decreased. There is now a monthly rate for the deluxe room for under 30,000. Before, you had to pay 1712 daily during the low season.

Stayed at PBR my last 2 trips, returning in June for 4 weeks was intending staying there again now not so sure. Would you guys who've stayed recently say the changes will stop you returning?

I stopped there over Xmas and new year, personnally i don't think nothing has changed apart from new owners, same lovely staff and receptionists, im stopping there again in July i never had to put a deposit down for the room.

I stayed at PBR in February. My room was right next to the building under construction. As a result there was quite a bit of noise in the morning. I did eventually get a change of room to the other side of the hotel. This was away from the construction noise, but right under the fitness room, so still not completely quiet.

One thing I liked about PBR was that it was far enough away from the action that I could get some quiet at night to sleep. Now with this part of town not as isolated as before, the extra walking distance may no longer be worth it.

I didn't have any problems with the wifi, although they did add a password in the middle of my stay without telling anyone. The laundry service was cheap and always ready by the next day. The rooms were clean with a fridge to keep snacks. Don't leave any food out or you will find ants.

There are a lot of things I do like about PBR - the rooms are comfortable and there is a great roof top pool area. But with some new hotels in Pattaya, I might try something else for my next trip.

Stayed at PBR my last 2 trips, returning in June for 4 weeks was intending staying there again now not so sure. Would you guys who've stayed recently say the changes will stop you returning?

You will be fine don't worry. I am always looking for a better value and so far have not found one ( at the monthly rate).

As others have said things are still pretty much as before. Same lovely staff, clean rooms, great security and quiet location.

I am at the PBR right now and have never heard any noise from the construction site.

Love it here!!!

Women Are Like Elephants. I Like to Look At Em. But I Wouldn't Want to Own One. - WC Fields

You will be fine don't worry. I am always looking for a better value and so far have not found one ( at the monthly rate).

As others have said things are still pretty much as before. Same lovely staff, clean rooms, great security and quiet location.

I am at the PBR right now and have never heard any noise from the construction site.

Love it here!!!

Brilliant, thanks for that. Roll on June. :Chokdee:

I am booked to stay here also in May... Can you tell me more about the busy road to cross? and how far of a walk is it to the action? is it in a safe area to walk around at night?

I am booked to stay here also in May... Can you tell me more about the busy road to cross? and how far of a walk is it to the action? is it in a safe area to walk around at night?

About a 5 minute walk to 2nd road where there is some action. It is right behind the Avenue mall which is monitored by security 24/7 so I never felt any danger walking around there at night. Can take a baht bus anywhere or a motorbike taxi from 2nd road.

About a 5 minute walk to 2nd road where there is some action. It is right behind the Avenue mall which is monitored by security 24/7 so I never felt any danger walking around there at night. Can take a baht bus anywhere or a motorbike taxi from 2nd road.

One of the best locations of any mid-range hotel in Pattaya IMO. Not too close to the action for it to disturb you, yet close enough to all the main mongering areas.

The location is spot on but as for their new internet provider... Lets just say it was a lost cause. The manageress listened to me again about it but it was a waste of breath. They were all great, dont get me wrong but I think I.T was not high on their agenda.. I do alot of work and banking fromthe internet and a good service is crucial to my stay. Just wasn't happening I'm afraid.

I had a good stay aart from that and I always like to see Fern's face in the morning or night time when going to my room.. She is such a sweetheart.

babydollsaddict.gif

The location is spot on but as for their new internet provider... Lets just say it was a lost cause. The manageress listened to me again about it but it was a waste of breath. They were all great, dont get me wrong but I think I.T was not high on their agenda.. I do alot of work and banking fromthe internet and a good service is crucial to my stay. Just wasn't happening I'm afraid.

I had a good stay aart from that and I always like to see Fern's face in the morning or night time when going to my room.. She is such a sweetheart.

That's a shame. One of the maintenance guys is supposed to be an IT professional, but maybe he's left. I must admit I didn't think it was any different to before when I was there 2 weeks ago, but then I only use it for posting on forums. They need to sort it out, as free wi-fi is a big selling point.

Auw is my favourite. :Hug1:

Auw is indeed a real sweetheart!

Regarding the wifi, I too have found it to be quite poor from time to time. However, on my last two trips I've simply gone out in the hallway, disconnected the power from the router thingy in the ceiling, connected it again and after that it has been working perfectly again. But if it's a case of problems with a new isp I guess that won't work anymore.

The drama I had was when I wanted to connect to my internet banking sites in UK and elsewhere, I could not get on at all. Kept on saying the DNS server was not allowing access. I tried to use the 2 computers in the reception but same results.. I also tried logging on here and it sometimes let me on and others, blocked again..

Catching up with emails and other web pages was ok and usually a good speed.. This is, I know it is nothing to so with my Mac, as I had just come from another hotel in Patts and was booming through with everything.

babydollsaddict.gif

They are now asking for a credit card to guarantee a booking, which they've never asked me for before and the personal touch that Dr Kim used to bring to the place has been lost.

Seems they do indeed ask for credit card info now days.

I booked my upcoming stay there back in December, got the confirmation email and the pdf-file attached with further confirmation, nowhere does it mention them wanting my credit card info. All good then I assumed.

Today, 3 months later and 4 days before I'm supposed to check in I receive an email: "It seem like we did not any response from you about the credit card details for pre authorize before arrival as per hotel policy as below". With a quote from the homepage (which I never visit, always email directly).

I replied saying that nowhere in the confirmation email or the pdf-file does it state that they need this and if this is going to be a problem I will have to start looking for another hotel. They were quick to answer and confirmed my reservation without further mentioning of credit cards.

So you can still go on as usual it seems. I try to limit the use of my credit cards over the internet as much as possible so this was good news.

Edited by Havver

From what I understand they want a credit card to hold the room after 6pm. If you arrive before 6pm there is no need for a credit card reservation, but if you arrive after 6pm they can let the room go. Whether they actually do this is another question!

This quote is from their website, not sure if it's been there before:

During Peak period from November until April, all reservations must be guaranteed by credit card (Visa and Master card only). Mentioned credit card will be pre authorized for one night.

And I don't arrive after 6pm so if that were the case it shouldn't have applied to me.

I'll probably just put down a cash deposit for future visits to avoid this the next time, if I decide to stay there again. With all these new irks I'm not sure, but it would feel weird staying somewhere else at this point. Feels like home when in Pattaya.

I stayed at PBR from the 8th march until 13th and I had a number of problems with them. Firstly I booked 2 deluxe rooms, on arrival they only have one. second big problem is trhat the reservation email said that each room was 1497bht per night. When I came to pay they charged me 2200bht per night. I complained pointing out that the reservation stated 1497bht per night, they looked at there paperwork and admitted that they'd made a mistake but would only give me a 10% discount meaning I was paying 500bht more then I was expecting per night:-(. I did like the free Tuk Tuk service but getting back to the hotel at night was a bit of a pain.

The other issue for me is how old and shit the T.Vs are. for a hotel in at this price bracket I was expect LCD.

Positives are the great staff, an O.K pool and I liked the Cherry restaurant. Also found it to be nice and quiet during my stay.Didn't get around to using the gym so maybe next time.

At the moment I'm back in patts on the 16th May staying at the LK Ren for the first week but after that I'm not sure where to stay so I may look to stay at PBR again but only because of the low season prices.

PV

Edited by pattayavirgin

Pattayavirgins first Trip:http://www.pattaya-a...s-patts-cherry/

Pattayavirgins second Trip: http://www.pattaya-a...-to-21st-march/

This quote is from their website, not sure if it's been there before: And I don't arrive after 6pm so if that were the case it shouldn't have applied to me. I'll probably just put down a cash deposit for future visits to avoid this the next time, if I decide to stay there again. With all these new irks I'm not sure, but it would feel weird staying somewhere else at this point. Feels like home when in Pattaya.

Same with me. I've stayed there ever since it opened and it's my Pattaya home. I will re-consider if any of these new policies start affecting me!

I stayed at PBR from the 8th march until 13th and I had a number of problems with them. Firstly I booked 2 deluxe rooms, on arrival they only have one. second big problem is trhat the reservation email said that each room was 1497bht per night. When I came to pay they charged me 2200bht per night. I complained pointing out that the reservation stated 1497bht per night, they lloked at there paperwork and admitted that they'd made a mistake but would only give me a 10% discount meaning I was paying 500bht more then I was expecting per night:-(. I did like the free Tuk Tuk service but getting back to the hotel at night was a bit of a pain. The other issue for me is how old and shit the T.Vs are. for a hotel in at this price bracket I was expect LCD. Positives are the great staff, an O.K pool and I liked the Cherry restaurant. Also found it to be nice and quiet during my stay.Didn't get around to using the gym so maybe next time. At the moment I'm back in patts on the 16th March staying at the LK Ren for the first week but after that I'm not sure where to stay so I may look to stay at PBR again but only because of the low season prices. PV

Agree. The low season price makes it worthwhile; but only just. I too wish they'd upgrade the TVs, although I find getting back to the hotel at night easy and in 5 years have never had to wait more than a few minutes for the tuk-tuk.

• 1 month later...

How are the girls working at the hotel? Is it possible to get extra service from them? :WinkGrin1: