Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Question about guesthouses - are you expected to spend more there?

Chubzilla

This might sound like a dumb question, but when you stay at a guesthouse (as opposed to a hotel), is there an unofficial "rule" or expectation that you will spend a lot more money there than just your accommodation cost?

Or do the staff/owners not really mind and just happy to have your business in the first place? Or are you taking up space in a room that could be filled by someone who might spend a lot on drinks/food etc.?

I recently stayed at a guesthouse that gets rave reviews here and people often go on about how wonderful the girls there are (although the next sentence always seems to mention how many thousands of baht they spent on ladydrinks for them, hmmm), but I didn't have the same experience.

A couple of the staff were quite nice, but in the minority. Some of the girls I even found to be a little rude. Apart from buying drinks at the bar a few times waiting for my girlfriend to finish work, I didn't really spend anything else on the guesthouse. I like to spread the love around when it comes to eating, and have many restaurants I like to go to, so I didn't buy any food there, didn't buy any lady drinks, and didn't drop my laundry in (I have a preferred place I always go to).

So there's my query: if you go to a guesthouse and only pay for the room, are you considered not to be a good guest? Are they more reliant on the people that stay there also eating there and spending time in the bar? Is there some "expectation"? I really don't know, but after thinking about it, it's possible I didn't feel very welcomed because of that reason - I'm a friendly guy, quiet but not reclusive and pretty well-mannered, so the only reason I can think that I got a bit of a cold reception overall was because I was really just there for somewhere to stay and did all my spending elsewhere. If there is an expectation that I wasn't aware of, I will just stick to hotels from now on.

I've never felt anything other comfortable feelings for staying in a guest hous. I certainly didn't feel obligated to spend an more money than just the cost of the room.

Obviously, It's a business and the more you spend the more money they make , but it's not compulsory to do so

So if you've found a guesthouse at a good price don't sweat it!

You are booking a room not a room Plus extras, so you should not feel obliged to HAVE to spend money in the guesthouse also in some places the entrance to your room is separate to the guesthouse bar area. I like these style of places as I don't have to walk thru the bar area with my ST or LT

Many guest houses have restaurants and/or bars that actually generate more income than the rooms. Owners of such establishments are generally happy to have "heads on beds", as the rooms can cover their overheads. If you spend more on food and drink that's obviously a bonus, but it should never be expected. If the guest house does their job properly and provide good value for the extras, then you'll want to eat a few meals there anyway.

You're the customer. You choose what you spend, where you spend, when you spend...

If people are not happy with this, there are dozens of guesthouses with room available all year round.

When going in a guesthouse, you are just expected to pay your room, and the mini-bar if you ever take something from it.

The unwritten rule about using the guesthouse's services more applies in places like Chiang Mai where accomodation may be very cheap and their main source of income is kickbacks from tour companies. In Pattaya I never felt bound to eat in the place I was staying. Although their food was so good that I generally found myself eating there most days anyway.

... also in some places the entrance to your room is separate to the guesthouse bar area. I like these style of places as I don't have to walk thru the bar area with my ST or LT

Would you please give us some examples of such places? :08:

Edited by Zesam

I have stayed at many guest houses and will have the odd drink or something to eat but spend loads of money at the place I am staying. I will spend the money where I want to.

www.lcfc.com

www.leicestertigers.com

Posted Image

CountdownClockCodes.com

I Like to stay at the Captains Bar soi Honey. Most of the guys there have wifes girlfreinds so there isn,t any hassle from the staff. The Captain goes on a freindly atmosphere and avaiability to get your custom. I spend a modest amount there for example i eat breakfast there if i cannot be bothered to walk about first thing. If you stagger in at 4 am there is a night cook who will whip you something up. I will sit at the bar and have a drink whislt waiting for the wife.

I think your custom is appriciated but not expected. As i said i spend some money there because its pleasant and convienient to do so

Arcouk

ARCOUK

As a guest House owner I would love to think all guests are going to eat drink and be merry all day in our place but you cannot expect it, who wants to eat in the same place every time, many of our Guests may have a breakfast at the Cafe and often try other places also as well as an evening meal, I dont have any problem with that.

We are not a bar anyway so dont expect guys to drink here although a few do but is not a bar atmosphere and no working girls so more of a quiet beer before the night kicks off, also we have in building A a back door where guests can enter/exit discreetly and the other rooms have entrances/exits not at any bar although there are some massage girls to negotiate at building B & C.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$AFBADGE.jpg

If I'm staying in a GH for a long period I'll usually buy a round of drinks for the ladies and staff and break the news I won't be barfining any of them while I stay there. IME they appreciate the info so they don't have to waste time flirting with me, and I don't have to tell them no all the time.

Depending on what's on offer at the GH I may or may not purchase food or drinks. I don't feel obligated to.

FWIW I usually ask them to clear out the mini-bar since I won't be buying anything from it, and I don't want it taking up room in my fridge.

We have also back door for customers in Thai archer.But i coop Daveo,cannot exepct that all customers drink ur bar everynight.

I hope Fearless would give guesthouses second change.

We dont really have a bar and we close at 8pm

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$AFBADGE.jpg

If I'm staying in a GH for a long period I'll usually buy a round of drinks for the ladies and staff and break the news I won't be barfining any of them while I stay there. IME they appreciate the info so they don't have to waste time flirting with me, and I don't have to tell them no all the time.

Depending on what's on offer at the GH I may or may not purchase food or drinks. I don't feel obligated to.

FWIW I usually ask them to clear out the mini-bar since I won't be buying anything from it, and I don't want it taking up room in my fridge.

Thanks for all the replies, looks like the recurring theme is that it is fine to just go for the accommodation and not "expected" that you will buy all the extras. That's great news, I will not limit myself to hotels now knowing that.

I like your idea there furryman about buying all a round once but telling them you are off limits, I will do that too next time I stay in a guesthouse with bar attached.

Thanks again everyone.

Armageddon - you can walk through the bar or in/out the side entrance - and as I have stated before - the best rooms (the 4 special ones) and very nice management and staff

I believe yr worries are unfounded. Abt unfriendly staff you might just have caught them at the wrong time. Girls may have had a long nite of LT so you cant really expect smiling faces the whole of your stay. There are also many guesthouses that do not hv attached bar or restaurant.Siam Guesthouse Soi 12 Second road is one example. Basic rooms w windows and outstanding Wifi for 500 baht per nite.

i stayed at one of the most popular guesthouses on this forum for a week. everything was nearly perfect but had the same feelings as you did. i think it's a personality issue. nobody forced me to spend anything more than the room but i felt obliged to do so and couldn't enjoy other establisments on the same street (LK M.) as much as i intended to. but that was a lesson for me. i now know that it's better to stay at a hotel or a condo for me next time :)

At a couple of bar-guesthouses on LK Metro I've been hassled by the girls when entering or leaving with a freelancer. Once a bargirl said something in Thai as we entered. When I asked my girl what the bargirl said, she replied, "You had lady this morning." At another one several bargirls would start exaggerated coughing when I entered or left with a girl. During the day I'd buy drinks for staff and play pool with them. I could have told the manager but took my business elsewhere instead.

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.