IGNORED

Ban Chang: Video Directions

Shivers

I'm going to shoot a video Sunday on how to get from Pattaya to Ban Chang. I know many members would like to make it out there at least once during their trips to Pattaya, but they don't know the way and/or don't want to go on one of the sponsored crawls that go out there on occasion. Nothing wrong with the sponsored crawls, as they're great for some, but like others, I enjoy and prefer the freedom I get from my motorbike to come and go as I please.

The video will start out at a familiar location to give you all a good reference point. From there I'll video tape the first hundred meters, a hundred meters before and after each turn, and the final hundred meters. In addition, the video will contain the distance (in kilometers) from one turn to the next. Since the videos are date/time stamped, you'll also be able to see how long it takes me to get from one turn to the next, and to make the complete journey.

All the clips will be edited into a short video and posted on www.StreetViewPattaya.com. For those wanting easy access to the video during the drive, I'll see if I can make it available as a downloadable file here in this thread, and you can keep it on your smart phone, iPad, iPod, or any other small device you take with you during the drive out there. If, for whatever reason, I can't get the video to post in this thread, I'll email it out to whoever wants it, or maybe just upload it on some sort of free file sharing site and post the link here.

I'm posting this here now because I'm not going to haul my ass all the way to Ban Chang and back to shoot another video if you all don't like what I've described above. If there's something you read above that can be improved upon (and is an easy fix), let me know before I go shoot the video rather than after the video is done. For instance, if you all think I should shoot 200 meters worth of video before and after each turn. Fair enough? :-)

Edited by Shivers

Good idea and thanks for asking for imput.

May i suggest you point out land marks on the way.

can't wait to see the video.

Good idea and thanks for asking for imput.

May i suggest you point out land marks on the way.

can't wait to see the video.

Sure...good idea. Actually I do believe the route will take me past Buddha Mountain and Silverlake Wine Vineyard, so perhaps I'll include those two places in the video. I've only been to Ban Chang once before, and don't recall any other landmarks, but I'll keep an eye out.

What about a starting point? I was thinking somewhere on Sukhumvit Road, like across from Tesco Lotus. However, I'm presuming everyone knows where Sukhumvit Road is. Would a better starting point be on Pattaya Tai Road across from Tukcom?

hi shivers had a look at your site.It looks good hope it goes well.

May i suggest that if you could show a map at the start of the videos.

showing the route.Make it a bit more intresting for the guys .

Sounds like a great idea, but why not post written directions 1st and see if or where guys are getting lost from that?

Here's some info from the Ban Chan Bar's web site :

Ban Chang Town is located between Sattahip and Rayong on Sukhumvit Road also known as Highway 3.

To find the bars drive from Sattahip about 18 kilometres. You will know when you are entering Bang Chang as you will go underneath the Big Rabbit Bridge (don't worry you will know it when you see it - see picture above).

Keep driving about 1km, you will go past a large open air market on your left.

At the FIRST set of Traffic Lights turn LEFT!

You are now on the "strip" - the bars are about 500 metres down this soi on your left hand side. The first you will see will be the Camel

http://www.banchangb...g-location.html

When I was working in Korea we took a road trip and took photos of street signs and big landmarks to help others find their way, that might be easier to remeber than a video clip.

Edited by Wolf Cat

I was hoping to film the video to day, but I've somehow caught a vicious head cold. Am taking meds, so hopefully it will clear up quick and I can head out there on Tuesday.

hi shivers had a look at your site.It looks good hope it goes well.

May i suggest that if you could show a map at the start of the videos.

showing the route.Make it a bit more intresting for the guys .

Thanks...the site is already on page one of both Yahoo and Google in various countries.

Ban Chang is a pretty good ways from Pattaya and I'm not sure a map on the video will be useful (due to the size).

As for a map on all the regular videos, that's not a bad idea. Perhaps use the same map of Pattaya all the time and have a red line tracing the street featured in the video. I'll try to find a decent map and incorporate that into the videos. The trick is finding a good map that doesn't have anything other than the roads on it. Worse comes to worse, I'll give it a shot at making my own...wouldn't have to worry about copywriting issues that way.

Sounds like a great idea, but why not post written directions 1st and see if or where guys are getting lost from that?

Ban Chang Town is located between Sattahip and Rayong on Sukhumvit Road also known as Highway 3.

To find the bars drive from Sattahip about 18 kilometres. You will know when you are entering Bang Chang as you will go underneath the Big Rabbit Bridge (don't worry you will know it when you see it - see picture above).

Keep driving about 1km, you will go past a large open air market on your left.

At the FIRST set of Traffic Lights turn LEFT!

You are now on the "strip" - the bars are about 500 metres down this soi on your left hand side. The first you will see will be the Camel

http://www.banchangb...g-location.html

When I was working in Korea we took a road trip and took photos of street signs and big landmarks to help others find their way, that might be easier to remeber than a video clip.

I hear what you're saying, but I've been to Ban Chang before, and I don't understand those written directions. That's the problem with written directions...some of us are visual guys. Some guys read P3nthouse Forum, and some guys prefer to see the images rather than imagining them. :-) Besides, as you pointed out, there are places on the www where someone can go to get written directions.

My website is video based, hence making a video rather than just writing instructions such as "go past the one of a million 7-11's, turn left at the grazing elephant, etc." I think those with smart phones, iPads, iPods, or any other small viewing device would appreciate seeing the actual turns rather than reading about them. When I edit the video, I'll likely imbed written instructions into it somewhere. Things like how many kilometers it is between one turn and the next and where to turn, will be included, as will the time it took me to drive the route.

Yes, pictures of landmarks may be easier for some to remember, but who wants to print out pictures and carry those around with them along the route? Not me. Besides, I'm building a video-centered website, not a photo-centered one. :-D

To find the bars drive from Sattahip ......................

Those directions are correct coming from Sattahip, but it would be a ball-ache way to go from Pattaya. :hello09:

The video is done and is currently being uploaded to the website (will take a few hours because my Internet connection is SLOW). It's pretty straight forward and lists the distances from one point to the next. I tried to upload it here, but got a message saying the file was too big (it's 73.5 MB). If anyone knows of a FREE share site I can upload it to so you all can download it, let me know and I'll do so. Preferably a site where it won't expire after a certain amount of time. That way, people won't have to download it within the next 24 hours or whatever. Not sure if such a site exists, but it would be a plus.

Here's a link to the video:

http://streetviewpat...a-to-ban-chang/

I'm still open to suggestions for how to make the video available as a download. Or maybe the video sucks, in which case it's a mute point. :D

EDIT:

I forgot to mention that on the way to Ban Chang I passed Buddha Mountain and Silverlake Wine Vineyard, so if you're wanting to go to either of those places, the video is useful for that as well.

EDIT AGAIN:

You can actually use it to get to Underwater World and the Floating Market as well, since I go by both those places and list where they are in the video.

Edited by Shivers

Ban Chang looked OK to me.

The test will be if it works for someone who's never been.

I had a quick look at some of the Pattaya ones and I wondered what happened to the traffic?

Are you deliberately choosing to do them at a quiet time?

For someone who's never been they might wonder why BMs ask whether they ought to dare to venture out there.

Got it spot on. well done

Glad you like it.

Ban Chang looked OK to me.

The test will be if it works for someone who's never been.

I had a quick look at some of the Pattaya ones and I wondered what happened to the traffic?

Are you deliberately choosing to do them at a quiet time?

For someone who's never been they might wonder why BMs ask whether they ought to dare to venture out there.

Yes, someone who's not yet been will have to give it a shot.

Haven't really been avoiding high traffic times, but not aiming for it either. Mostly picking times were the sun won't mess up the video with a lot of glare. I'm sure when I film Beach Road there will be a lot of traffic shown. Just hasn't been much on the side-streets, I guess.