IGNORED

Thai words and meanings to help you get started

FROST MEDIC999

helpful thanks...are there any standardised phonetics for thai...many different ones used I've noticed..

Yes, Thai script. :GoldenSmile1:

You'll never be able to speak Thai without learning it. Every different book will have it's own system or still worse the Royal Thai phonetic system (based on German). I'm cringing ATM looking at some of the above transliterations. :SoWhat1:

sgu_banner.gif

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, Thai script. :GoldenSmile1:

You'll never be able to speak Thai without learning it. Every different book will have it's own system or still worse the Royal Thai phonetic system (based on German). I'm cringing ATM looking at some of the above transliterations. :SoWhat1:

German has all Thai sounds except the "open A" as I call it, as in Aor (girl name), and the "uh" Thais say when colloquially approving.

German has all Thai sounds except the "open A" as I call it, as in Aor (girl name), and the "uh" Thais say when colloquially approving.

Is that why they use German? I take it by the 'open a' sound you mean as in 'Gor Gai, Nor Noo etc.'? There's no 'a' sound in there,at least to me. BTW German doesn't have a 'V' sound either, leading to the horrendous 'Suvarnabhumi airport' & 'Visakha Bucha' mispronunciations.

Another facet that annoys me is the addition of a 'h' to indicate aspiration. My students insist on pronouncing 'th' as 't' as in 'Mr Natan'. The Thais also seem to use the 'h' sporadically especially in the case of road signs. They don't even adhere to their own language rules sometimes as in 'sawasdee'.

All of this is overshadowed, however, by blatant misspellings such as 'Mo Chit' or 'On Nut' & the frankly hilarious sign in every toilet in our school - Please put the horse back in the holder after use!

What hope, English or Thai! :DeadHorse2:

sgu_banner.gif

No problems Mate.

My Thai has gone from Crap to very Poor 5555 and over half the time, God only knows what I say !!! but the Girls seem to get some of the gist of what I am asking / saying.

A word of warning though of which I am sure you are aware, a lot of Girls get unsettled if they know you understand a bit of Thai.

Not sure why ? 5555

i should imagine they become unsettled because they then have to be carefull what they are saying about you when they are talking to their friends , but quite a few will then start talking in isaan or lao if they know you understand thai, but well done with the translations it should help many people out

Great job putting this together. This definitely come in handy. Thank you.

Very good and painstakingly put together!

I don't want to be a pedantic prick, and i know it is so difficult to translate Thai phonetically, but i'd have said bad smell was men and eat was kin rather than gin.

Any way, well done.... will come in handy! Thanks

Some thing's baby i just can't swallow,

Momma told me that girls are hollow..

Uhuhh...whats inside a girl....?? Lux Interior

http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/91866-first-port-of-call/page__fromsearch__1

CountdownClockCodes.com

Great thread. Thanks to all contributors.

Now all I need is CIM :-)

Glad this has seemed to help out a few Lads took a bit of work getting it done and it was never meant to be a 100% correct i coukd never hope to do that 5555

Cheers

Ghosty

Thanks for this. Thai seems to be a very hard language to learn in comparison to European ones.

Just to add some that I think might help out

Stop - yut

Stop play/playing - yut ren.

Slowly - cha cha

Softly - bow bow

Harder - lang lang

What r u doing? - Tom arai u ?

Talk straight / no bullshit- poot tunk tunk

You do very good ? - Tom de mak Mai ?

Great topic to help the guys out btw .

Here's one for a brave person . Lol

Pom kow tot duai na. Tae Pom sadit noy. Choi pom dai Mai ?

I'm sorry . But I'm a bit of a freak. Can u help me ?

Lol .

its BETTER to be PISSED OFF then PISSED ON!!!..

Just to add some that I think might help out

Stop - yut

Stop play/playing - yut ren.

Slowly - cha cha

Softly - bow bow

Harder - lang lang

What r u doing? - Tom arai u ?

Talk straight / no bullshit- poot tunk tunk

You do very good ? - Tom de mak Mai ?

Great topic to help the guys out btw .

Here's one for a brave person . Lol

Pom kow tot duai na. Tae Pom sadit noy. Choi pom dai Mai ?

I'm sorry . But I'm a bit of a freak. Can u help me ?

Lol .

khun chuay duay

Yep helpfull.

Thx for sharing..

Like the comment at the end... so trueeee... up to you :)

• 2 weeks later...

Nice one. Thanks for posting this and I have found very helpful.

down load a translation app like i did that helps alot

Really nice thread, read a little bit on this every day! Sticky please! :GoldenSmile1:

I have come to the conclusion that unless I PREPAY for lessons, I will never learn more than a few phrases - I am lazy and lose motivation when the bar is open....

I personally think unless you listen to someone speaking Thai it is nearly impossible to learn it from reading the language in phonetic English because everyone has their own way of typing the words.

One example if you just say "ma" to a girl she will think you are calling her a dog (not good), everyone says "ma-nee" which the girl would understand to mean "come here". Even then it would still be better to listen to the words being pronounced.

Many of the phrases are easy to repeat and I am sure many BM's will find them helpful, just practice saying the words to someone who understands that you are trying to learn Thai.

Kudos to the OP for taking the time to put the topic together...........must have took a long time.

• 3 months later...

hey how do i say 'take my big cock in ur small puss" always wanted to learn dat one...

khun mi oi yai mai = have you a big pussy

i was taught this by issan girls

sawasdee krap puss sow = hello sexy lady

tried that on a bg in bangkok she turned round and said who taught you lao

Thanx Ghosty, Very Informative.

Hold on!

This is not where I start learning foreign language!

For example I speak perfect Spanish where I know exactly two words--Quanto? How much? and sien-100 ( $ as universal currency)

Accordingly I need in Thai-- How much, ST, LT and BJ included? and 1000 BHT ...

You see my point?

Hold on!

This is not where I start learning foreign language!

For example I speak perfect Spanish where I know exactly two words--Quanto? How much? and sien-100 ( $ as universal currency)

Accordingly I need in Thai-- How much, ST, LT and BJ included? and 1000 BHT ...

You see my point?

Simple my Yanky Friend

Just say..... How Mutt Short Time.....How Mutt Long Time.......And You Sucky Sucky Then hold up the amount you are willing to Pay

This will also work for the Girls working up near the Go Kart Track. But 200 Baht or small Gifts such as Water or Sweets or Food can be substituted for Money :GoldenSmile1:

Archived