IGNORED

Was i clever or Sneaky

badboybilly

to cut a long story short..a baR girl said to a bar girl that i was 'sa-let ...or sa-led...depend on how you prounou nce it.

The bargirl who said it told the girl who was sitting with me........she sort of looked at me like she saw a ghost..but then went back to smiling.

So i looked it up .the word ...and see it means 'clever' in English......so i was quite happy.........BUT.....on telling m y Thai flatmate about it today.........he said they the bargirls meant I was '.......'sneaky' ...........anyone know.....were they saying I was 'clever' or 'sneaky'.......... :o

Edited by badboybilly

Tpye it into the link below ( left handside "LOOKUP" ) then once it is displayed put your mouse over the word for the meaning.

http://www.thai-language.com/dict

ไม่พบคำ salet

Edited by ProudAussie

Depends on what you were doing/saying to make her say the word. I would say the Thai word for clever is pronounced "chalaat" with a "ch" sound not "s"

cha -............ laat......... ............yes got it.......clever...they were sayig i was a clever dick :GoldenSmile1: chaL laat

I use a talking dictionaryy that I found at http://www.word-in-the-hand.com/

I get this:

sneaky adj.

ไม่­ซื่อ mâi-​sʉ̂ʉ

and

clever adj. (intelligent)

เก่ง gèng ; ฉลาด chà~​làat ; เฉลียว­ฉลาด chà~​lǐiao-​chà~​làat

Edited by Scuzz

I doubt if most Thai people could really distinguish any difference between clever & sneaky.

Gaee lao. mai law doi. Mai ben rai, mee daang!

I doubt if most Thai people could really distinguish any difference between clever & sneaky.

Sometimes can be clever and sneaky same in one moment! Do not forget ! 5555

THAJEC Thajský muž TRIP 37 - 30.November 2018 - 28.1.2019

1. At first I thought they were calling me a .....slut..................gee who knows,maybe they were....and talking english....dont k now how they knew

Edited by badboybilly