IGNORED

Need a new Laptop in LOS

Encora

My wife needs a new laptop, the 5 yr old Sony Vaio is starting to become too slow for her needs (Mail, netsurfing, some Photoshop and a lot of Adobe InDesign, a fairly powerhungry graphic design progrmme. No gaming. To date little or no video editing.

Sony was OK, but seems a bit expensive. Heard good things about Asus and Acer.

Distrust HP (they refused to send me a new driver for my HP printer a few years ago when I was living in Laos "Because Laos was an enemy country." Silly twits!) .

Dell seems to only do online sales, and we kind of like dealing with a person in real life when needing service.

Apple Mac is out, I'm a Mac user myself, but She doesn't like it, and all her existing software is Windows based.

I could read overseas reports and comparisons, but they don't relate to what's available here. I have myself been too long out of Win to know what PC laptop right now is reliable and value for money.

Any suggestions?

I quite like using IT City because they have branches all over and warranty will be honoured all around Thailand, but are they more expensive? I prefer a shop that is likely to still be there in a year or two. I also like Apple's concept of buying an extended warranty.

13 or 14 inch screen, to cope with weight when travelling, most of the time at home she uses an outside 20" screen.

Take a look in Wattana(I think that is the name) across from Foodland. I got a Toshiba dual core laptop, 4gb ram, 500 gig hd, 2 gig video card from there about 6 months ago for about 12,000 THB. I am happy with it, and actually performs better then expected. Just make sure you check it out before you leave the store as mine had a few issues once I got home with it. They also had those small netbooks there too for a bit less but they might not be powerful enough to run that Adobe software.

Im working in the laptop repair buisness since 6 years now.

Actualy they have 2 good brand left on the market (understand with a low fail rate over time) :

Toshiba and dell

For toshiba every thing is good but the qosmio serie (avoid it), and if quality really matter for you, take the tecra serie you can not be desapointed.

For dell its more difficult to give you the right one to buy, but most of they produc are good and the online selling isnt a problem as they offert a great after salle work where they go to your home repair the laptop the next day (at least in europe and us, but it dotn see why its would be different in asia).

Bonus you can transfert the waranty, and get the same service anywhere where dell is selling in the world for your laptop.

About the other brand, Asus was great for some time but now the quality is getting lower every year.

HP is the worst brand ever

Acer try to beat HP for the title of worst brand, but at least their price are good.

Sony isnt too bad but you paid for the name, not for the quality.

Samsung look good but not engough of them on the market to have a firm opinion about it.

Lenovo crap crap crap

Apple play on the same ground as sony for me (expensive for adverage quality)

And to finish stat from 2009 tested for 30 000 laptop, basicaly no big change but for asus.

stat_panne_PC_Portable.jpg

Edited by Lucius_Nero

i got my acer from powerbuy for about 34 grand. the missus get 27 grand interest free over 10 months so it becomes worth it to

spread the costs.

core i5, 500gb, 4gig ram

bloody thing overheats all the time unless i keep an extra fan on it!

Always remember that when a Thai woman calls you darling she is speaking Thai not English!

Actualy they have 2 good brand left on the market (understand with a low fail rate over time) :

Toshiba and dell

For toshiba every thing is good but the qosmio serie (avoid it), and if quality really matter for you, take the tecra serie you can not be desapointed.

For dell its more difficult to give you the right one to buy, but most of they produc are good and the online selling isnt a problem as they offert a great after salle work where they go to your home repair the laptop the next day (at least in europe and us, but it dotn see why its would be different in asia).

Bonus you can transfert the waranty, and get the same service anywhere where dell is selling in the world for your laptop.

About the other brand, Asus was great for some time but now the quality is getting lower every year.

Acer try to beat HP for the title of worst brand, but at least their price are good.

Samsung look good but not engough of them on the market to have a firm opinion about it.

Lenovo crap crap crap

And to finish stat from 2009 tested for 30 000 laptop, basicaly no big change but for asus.

You are right... Had two Laptop (Acer) fucked within 2 years... Bought Toshiba three years ago, Still fast and working great today, Very happy with it...

Edited by jocky king

i bought a samsung notebook at wattana in tukcom, got a good price and good service so very happy with it. took a friend there and he bought a laptop for his girl and also very pleased.

I also had an Acer that only lasted 2 years, would never buy one again. My first Dell lasted 8 years, my last Dell was fine until I spilled coffee on the keyboard. Now I use an Asus and am very happy with it. Just 19000 at CentralFestival PowerBuy, with an i5 and 4 GB RAM.

Retired

• 3 months later...

Also the aftermarket service of Acer is crap . Bought a timeline 4830 TG last year with a build in high power battery .

After 8 months the battery , from one day on another , only does 2 hours instead of 8 hours like before .

Brought it back to the shop (Wattana in Tukcom) . They tested it for me and 'yes sir something wrong we send to Acer' .

After 3 weeks it comes back and i ask for the service reciept . 'Sorry sir no have reciept but we call Acer and they say

everything is normal' .

'No not everything is normal as i can only use it for 2 hours and you tested it for me and came to the same conclusion' .

'Yes sir but Acer say everything is normal so we cannot help' . So Wattana is of the list as well for me .

I had the same experience with my PC , also an Acer . Bought it from Power buy also bought extra warranty/insurance

for 3 years .

Computer has been broken 3 times in 2 years and Power buy nor Acer will repair anything under warranty .

Most of the time 'warranty' in Thailand isn't worth more than the paper it's written on . So Power buy is of the list as well .

So defenitely no Acer for me anymore . Got a little Asus also that is working fine for the last 5 years not a single problem .

The only shop in the last 3 years that has done a good job is Num Chai electronics on Sukhumvit . I had a problem with

my LCD tv after just 1 week . One phone call , no discussion and in less than an hour there was a car with a brand new tv .

Last time i looked they where also selling laptops now . Will use them next time when i need one .

Toshiba and dell

Lenovo crap crap crap

I had a Toshiba for more than 3years (fantastic machine and sold it second hand for good money) Upgarded to a Sony Vaio...Biggest mistake ever! 2years old and completely fucked....

I bought a Samsung RV418 from Wattana at Tuk Com 4gb RAM 600 gb HD, HDMI, Windows Ultimate (copy) 18,000 baht. I've been really pleased with it, 100% reliable, looks good. Wattana seem a good store as well, no bullshit plus their own service centre.

Sometimes if you upgrade your ram it will make a big difference.

I have a Sony Vajio for 4 years, and it will not burn discs without getting failure errors, so it is my travel laptop.

I have a four year old Toshiba Sattelite with hdmi. I run my x264 blueray rips, hdtv etc directly into my lcd tv. Very good machine, and I am going to upgrade to 4g ram.