IGNORED

Thai International driving licence

Daveo

Personally I'm not convinced that all the advice offered in this thread is correct.

The test might be if one was involved in an accident and you found that you were driving illegally/unlicenced and that therefore you were uninsured.

If it was a serious accident then the consequences, especially in Thailand, could be disastrous.

not possible to get even a motorbike insurance if no Thai drivers license

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !! 

not possible to get even a motorbike insurance if no Thai drivers license

Not quite right.

They will sell you it all day long.

As with any insurance, you won't find out if it's any good until you make a claim.

The lack of a Thai DL may give them a way out of paying.

Not quite right.

They will sell you it all day long.

As with any insurance, you won't find out if it's any good until you make a claim.

The lack of a Thai DL may give them a way out of paying.

now you start thinking as a Thai :GoldenSmile1: , is it not the same as you do not have a valid insurance..., same as having fake ID , fake visa , fake this or that.... :Think1: as long they do not catch the person , or accident happen.....; OK ? Rolex watches are also sold day & night on the streets :GoldenSmile1:

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !! 

now you start thinking as a Thai :GoldenSmile1: , is it not the same as you do not have a valid insurance..., same as having fake ID , fake visa , fake this or that.... :Think1: as long they do not catch the person , or accident happen.....; OK ? Rolex watches are also sold day & night on the streets :GoldenSmile1:

Not really.

They generally tell you that the Rolex etc are copies.

They don't tell you that your insurance may not pay out if you don't have a Thai DL.

The buyer thinks he's covered and isn't trying to fake anything.

Of course, the insurance company may pay out anyway, but the bigger the claim the harder they'll look for a way out.

Anyway, you're getting me as far off topic as BM seans.

• 5 months later...

someone asked me today where they acquire a Thai International drivers licence, personally I was not aware they exist but he said he had seen one, anyone have any info on these please

I'm still convinced we're talking about getting a Thai IDP to go with your Thai DL here.

The Eastern Verification Centre near Regents School told me (right or wrong) that you can only get them at Chonburi.

I was at Chonburi Traffic this week so I checked.

You need Passport & Visa copies, a Residence Certificate, 2 Photos, your Thai DL(s) + copies, no Medical Cert ......and 500 Baht.

That allows you to drive in Cambodia, Laos or any country signed up to the 1948 Convention IDP.