IGNORED

Thai International driving licence

Daveo

someone asked me today where they acquire a Thai International drivers licence, personally I was not aware they exist but he said he had seen one, anyone have any info on these please

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$AFBADGE.jpg

Yes Iv seen a few posts on about farangs getting a thai driving license and re newing there 1 year license to 5 years. Think the threads were on www.thaivisa.com but yes it is possible for expats to obtain a thai driving one american op has written a very useful and in depth and step by step of applying and recieving his thai driving license, not sure but I think I read a similar post in ex pats section in this forum too.

edit :- check out bm BaldPlumber thread titled " Thai driving license paperwork query" in Pattaya ex pats section got some useful info

Edited by welshwonder

Yes Iv seen a few posts on about farangs getting a thai driving license and re newing there 1 year license to 5 years. Think the threads were on www.thaivisa.com but yes it is possible for expats to obtain a thai driving one american op has written a very useful and in depth and step by step of applying and recieving his thai driving license, not sure but I think I read a similar post in ex pats section in this forum too.

edit :- check out bm BaldPlumber thread titled " Thai driving license paperwork query" in Pattaya ex pats section got some useful info

He's talking about a Thai international driving license . Never seen one .

It's is possible to get a Thai driving license with your international lisence from your own country .

Some simple tests and just over 100 baht will do . After the one year you can apply for a 5 year Thai license .

Here in the US, I was able to get an international driving permit that was good for one year from the date of issue from AAA.

They also will issue them to you if you are overseas. Info is available at the URL below.

http://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html

Hope that helps...

As WelshWonder said there are threads on thaivisa about them.

You can only get them from Chonburi apparently, using your Thai DL of course..

You can use them in other Asian countries in conjunction with your Thai DL, but eg. a Brit can't use it back home or in the EU instead of his UK DL.

I don't know of any Thai 'International ' Licence. The Thai one year licence is very suitable for farang driving in Thailand. After a year it can be upgraded to a five year licence which goes well with the local hoofers when trying to extract ill gotten gains for alleged misdemeanours !!

As for a Thai International licence, God forbid that they are allowed to drive in other countries in the same way they drive here !!!

If you have a Thai driving licence you can get an International Driving Permit issued to go with it, for use abroad. They issue them at any Transport Office, where they do the driving licence tests.

Really only of use to Thai people and expats wanting to drive in countries other than Thailand, on a Thai driving licence.

Might be handy to have on returning to your own country, if your driving licence there has expired.

Edited by Micky2

As WelshWonder said there are threads on thaivisa about them.

You can only get them from Chonburi apparently, using your Thai DL of course..

You can use them in other Asian countries in conjunction with your Thai DL, but eg. a Brit can't use it back home or in the EU instead of his UK DL.

If you have a Thai driving licence you can get an International Driving Permit issued to go with it, for use abroad. They issue them at any Transport Office, where they do the driving licence tests.

Really only of use to Thai people and expats wanting to drive in countries other than Thailand, on a Thai driving licence.

Might be handy to have on returning to your own country, if your driving licence there has expired.

I just read more posts saying that you can get them at Traffic, so I'll stand corrected - 5?? Baht.

Opinion seems to vary re' the legality of using one back home. I think not.

"Really only of use to Thai people and expats wanting to drive in countries other than Thailand, on a Thai driving licence.

Might be handy to have on returning to your own country, if your driving licence there has expired."

Yes, that was my first thought too. I wonder how you would go on if you overseas licence had been suspended and you showed the cops your thai permit and your thai licence. there would not seem to be a way that they could connect these documents to your suspended licence !!

"Really only of use to Thai people and expats wanting to drive in countries other than Thailand, on a Thai driving licence.

Might be handy to have on returning to your own country, if your driving licence there has expired."

Yes, that was my first thought too. I wonder how you would go on if you overseas licence had been suspended and you showed the cops your thai permit and your thai licence. there would not seem to be a way that they could connect these documents to your suspended licence !!

As a visitor, you can drive in UK on your Thai licence for a period up to 12 months - you don't need an IDP.

From the direct.gov website ... handy if you're hiring a car and don't want any speeding points to appear on your UK licence.

"Driving licences issued in any other country

• you can drive any small vehicle eg cars and or motorcycles, shown on your driving licence, for a period of 12 months from the date that you last entered the country, as long as it remains full and valid"

Edited by filibuster

The IDP is really only a translation of the main parts of the licence from the country it was issued from. It is not intended as a stand-alone document; it is supposed to be carried along with your driving licence.

The Thai driving licence has English text now (didn't used to), as well as Thai. That is common with many other countries these days, so the IDP is becoming redundant.

Most countries allow driving on a foreign driving licence for a period, typically a year, before you are required to convert to a local one. It is also true for Thailand.

As for expired licences. regulations vary, but for my home country you are supposed to renew before it expires. However if you can show that you were out of the country, and driving while abroad, you can renew an expired licence. Having a current Thai driving licence would suffice.

"Getting them at Traffic"......? Sounds like what is commonly called the Transport Office to me, though the terminology may vary; it often does from place to place.

Edited by Micky2

Personally I'm not convinced that all the advice offered in this thread is correct.

The test might be if one was involved in an accident and you found that you were driving illegally/unlicenced and that therefore you were uninsured.

If it was a serious accident then the consequences, especially in Thailand, could be disastrous.

Vehicles registered in Thailand have "compulsory insurance" which provides some cover to anybody who is injured in an accident. I gather it is only valid if the driver is on a Thai driving licence.

For other insurance, it would depend on the policy.

If Edge is not convinced that the advice being offered is correct, perhaps he should seek out the correct version to share with the ignorant and ill-advised of the forum.

If you are driving illegally, you would probably have no insurance cover of any kind, anywhere...... so please Mr. Edge, do check, to be sure, to be sure.

The IDP is really only a translation of the main parts of the licence from the country it was issued from. It is not intended as a stand-alone document; it is supposed to be carried along with your driving licence.

The Thai driving licence has English text now (didn't used to), as well as Thai. That is common with many other countries these days, so the IDP is becoming redundant.

Most countries allow driving on a foreign driving licence for a period, typically a year, before you are required to convert to a local one. It is also true for Thailand.

As for expired licences. regulations vary, but for my home country you are supposed to renew before it expires. However if you can show that you were out of the country, and driving while abroad, you can renew an expired licence. Having a current Thai driving licence would suffice.

"Getting them at Traffic"......? Sounds like what is commonly called the Transport Office to me, though the terminology may vary; it often does from place to place.

I know perfectly well what an IDP is thanks as I have one for Cambodia.

I do know that when I travel in Cambodia I have no insurance - or at least I make that assumption.

Your suggestion that IDPs are becoming redundant in Thailand is just conjecture/opinion and not the position in law.

Neither is that the case in Cambodia.

I accept that it would/should be legal for a UK citizen to drive in UK with a Thai DL for 12 months - with a Thai IDP.

As I said before - The test might be if one was involved in an accident and you found that you were driving illegally/unlicenced and that therefore you were uninsured.

Specifically, there have been Qs about whether it might be a way round a UK ban. I can assure you that in the case of a traffic accident or offence involving police action they would do a search which would reveal details of the driver's UK driving records and any convictions. In the case of a current UK ban, that would over ride the Thai DL, which would mean the driver was also uninsured.

"Traffic" is how many refer to what are, I believe, properly called Verification Centres.

The one near Pattaya is called the Eastern Verification Centre - The office for Vehicle Registration, Annual Taxation, Annual Roadworthy Inspection, Driving Licence applications & renewal.

The VCs are located at or AKA Land Transportation Offices.

Vehicles registered in Thailand have "compulsory insurance" which provides some cover to anybody who is injured in an accident. I gather it is only valid if the driver is on a Thai driving licence.

For other insurance, it would depend on the policy.

If Edge is not convinced that the advice being offered is correct, perhaps he should seek out the correct version to share with the ignorant and ill-advised of the forum.

If you are driving illegally, you would probably have no insurance cover of any kind, anywhere...... so please Mr. Edge, do check, to be sure, to be sure.

In essence - A driver may find he is uninsured if he doesn't hold a Thai DL.

I continue to seek out whatever hard information is out there, but it isn't easy. It may only be when the shit hits that you find out for sure.

I do check as best I can and take most forum advice as no better than barstool opinion.

I think I have all my bases covered. If I find out any more of course I'll post it.

I didn't say which advice I thought was incorrect, so did I hit a nerve?

The sarcasm was uncalled for and no, I'm not Irish.

someone asked me today where they acquire a Thai International drivers licence, personally I was not aware they exist but he said he had seen one, anyone have any info on these please

the best International license that can be used ANYWHERE and can be obtained for either 10 years or EVEN LIFE can be got in Phuket or by post

http://www.international-license.com/splashpage/

here is information in 8 languages

here is anothe website with info on Thai driving licenses

http://www.knowphuket.com/drivinglicense.htm

the best International license that can be used ANYWHERE and can be obtained for either 10 years or EVEN LIFE can be got in Phuket or by post

Are you sure? An IDL? "ANYWHERE"?

There is a difference between an IDP and an IDL and there are some scammers out there too.

From the UK direct.gov website :-

idp idl.JPG

Thanks guys for the info, I will pass it on.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$AFBADGE.jpg

http://www.internati...com/splashpage/

here is information in 8 languages

here is anothe website with info on Thai driving licenses

http://www.knowphuke...vinglicense.htm

I just had time to check the links you gave.

The Phuket one gives good advice as to why you should get a Thai DL if possible, including the possibility that without one you may be uninsured.

The second one is for an IDP, not an IDL.

It correctly points out that an IDP is only valid in one country for 12 months.

I couldn't find anything about them being valid for 10 years or for life. That isn't possible under the UN conventions.

Considering that these same IDPs are available in UK Post Offices for £5, I would put this provider in the SCAM category - check prices.

IDD.JPG

no, I'm not Irish.

I am, but it's not relevant.

Edited by Micky2

Bang on!

easy now to do..........tell me what u need and i explain u the best way....for pick license drive by Thailand

131857.JPG

Edited by exotica69

How to get a Thai driving license in Pattaya

If you wish to drive legally in Pattaya and throughout Thailand you can obtain an international driving license/permit, normally from your country of residence, but if plan on staying longer than 3 months you are better advised to get a Thai driving license. This is due to certain insurance companies stipulating in their small print that you are not fully covered unless you have a full Thai drivers license. Don't be put off though, it is quite easy to get a Thai driving license in Pattaya. Having a Thai drivers license has other benefits as well, you can use it as i.d, and you can get some discount entrance prices in some of the tourist attractions.

What do i need to get my Thai driving license.

• The legal age at which you can apply for a Thai drivers license is 18.

• You must be of sound mind and body.

• Your international drivers license, or your original driving license translate in Thai language in agency CTA

• You must have a non immigrant visa, (you can get a Thai driving license with a. tourist visa)....i have tourist visa.....

• Passport with visa inside, or a work permit if you have one, better with both.

• A letter from immigration 'Jomtien Soi 5' to verify your address, or from your embassy, letter must not be older than 30 days old, you will need to take with you a rental agreement, utility bills or anything you can which includes both your name and address. The more the better (is ok hotel address....enough) (200 bath)

• Signed copies of your passport front page, visa page, entry stamp and T.M. card, (arrival & departure card)

• A doctors certificate (not more than 30 days old) you can get this from any clinic, just tell them you are applying for a Thai driving license (100 bath)

• 2 recent 1" x 1" passport photos (you can get them outside ), you actually may not these now due a new digital system they have, but take them anyway.

• It is a good idea to take Thai person along with you to translate the paperwork and instruct you with the tests..

Where in Pattaya do i get my Thai driving license

http://maps.google.c...deb717f5378a146

You get your Thai drivers license from the Eastern Verification Center. (Open Monday - Friday 0830 to 1600)

As well as issuing Thai drivers licenses they deal with vehicle registration, road worthiness and taxation etc.

Go north on the sukhumvit highway, after about 8 kilometers you will see the overpass on your right, here you turn right underneath the overpass, this takes you onto highway 36 heading to Rayong. Go 9 or 10 kilometers down the 36 and you will see the school of the regents on your right hand side. At the next 'u' turn, turn around back in the direction of the school, just a few meters after you pass the school on you left you will see a road, turn left along this road and go for 2 -3 hundred meters until you see the photo copying booths and small cafes on your left, the licensing center is immediately on your right. You apply for your Thai drivers license upstairs.

See a map get directions to the

• You will be required to sit and watch a video introducing you to the Thai highway code and Thai driving regulations. You may have to do some basic colour blind, depth perception and reflex tests.

• The cost your first Thai driving license, at the time of writing is about 200 Baht for Thai Car driving license, 155 baht for Thai motorcycle driving license. Your first Thai driving license is valid for one year, where after you will receive a five year ( if u have a non immigrant visa) ..only one year (if u have a tourist visa) Thai drivers license upon application.

• If you do not have either an international driving license or your original driving license you will have to do both the theory and the practical driving tests.( not easy...30 question....4 option each question....23 answer exactly no less.....)

• If you want to apply for a Thai motorcycle driving license, the same rules apply, you must already have the correct license, otherwise you will have to do the theory and the practical driving test.

3.JPG

Edited by exotica69

• 1 month later...

Just back and had IDP that I got in Canada at CAA but when I seen the insane driving, I didnt even bother because if anything happens the pharang is at fault 99% of the time so you better have deep pockets

Last time in Thailand my wife got an Thai International Drivers Licence, so desparate was she that we drove thru knee-deep Bangkok flood waters to get it. I think she realized by doing so poorly on the test here in USA it might take a while to get a legit one here. Now, backed by the of the Geneva Driving Convention, she can legally drive here for another 12 months (she's been here more than a year so the 'default' foreigner one has expired for her). Makes me nervous since she is a crazy driver. Next thing I'll hear that she's in trouble after getting pulled over and trying to bribe the cop with a 100 Baht note!

a 25 year INTERNATIONAL DRIVING LICENSE HERE

Not only is that a monumental mess amounting to a TF, but it's also a very expensive way of getting an IDP which some regard as a scam.

It's also a repeat of your previous TF with this, which was answered before.

Whether it's a con' or not, it's irrelevant. Do you have an interest in the business you're punting?

You are off topic as this thread is about getting a Thai IDP i.e. for people who have a Thai DL, not for foreigners getting an IDP translation of their home DL.