IGNORED

Which camera are u using?

nirck

I have a Sony Alpha Nex7. 24.3 mp all the bells and whistles of a full size DSLR but 1/3 the size and weight. im running the 18-55 that it came with but plan on upgrading to an 18-200 soon. I love the camera. easy to use and easy to carry. I spend a lot of time traveling on my motorcycle so size and weight is an issue. Settings range from full auto to every manual option imaginable. Its not the cheapest camera out there as it will run about $1400 with an 18-55 lense but I doubt I will be buying a replacement camera any time soon. I am happy with all aspects of the camera from performance to ergonomics ease of use. I highly recommend this camera.

He who dies with the best stories wins!

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the Travel cameras myself. Compact but good zoom and HD Video. Sony HX30v Panasonic Tz30 etc They have GPS also but I find it slows the camera down.SO I turn off GPS unless actually trying to stamp my location on the picture..EG tourist spots

I also have a Sony Alpha, great camera that I use for taking pics in the hotel room or sightseeing. Also have a Canon ELPH 300HS which is a great pocket camera for taking out at night time and also takes great pix

this time i will buy a New canon compact, i dont remember its name, but it has 20x Optical zoom, This time i will also bring my dslr, a canon 1d-series body and misc lenses, as i am planning on a little more daytime-activities this trip, and I`m also thinking about take a trip to Bangkok for a couple of days. Its a big piece of camera the 1D-body, but for some serious Picture-taking, not much comes Close to it, and i have tried just about everything out there..

i will be back.

I changed to a Canon s100 a few months ago. A great camera, but three days after arriving, I became a victim of the lens error fault. The lens will not retract, and an error message on the display.

Googling the problem, I find it is a common one. Canon repair for free, but I have to wait til I get home.

Very disappointed, and now using the old Nikon...........bugger.

I have a Canon G1X ("hybrid") with WPDC-44 housing for underwater photography. Package was < $1000 AUD.

Nikon D7000 with lots of lenses.

About to purchase a pocket size point and shoot for traveling because of the ease of slipping it in your pocket when not in use.

"I've had a wonderful time ... but this wasn't it ..." - Groucho Marx

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

For SLR's Canon t2i to t5i are a really good value. great video and alot of the newer features since they release a new one every year. But if you want pro, 5D's pretty great. One good zoom and some prime lenses and you will have a really nice setup.

also just picked up a sigma 85mm 1.4 and am extremely happy with it. Great portrait lense.

I was very happy with my Canon Powershot A640 until the image sensor started to go. Green and pink horizontal lines started to apprear in the exposures so I needed a new camera.

I bought a 3 year old Nikon D5000 at a camera shop in Bangkok for 12,000 baht. The box still had the original price sticker of 28,000 baht. Then I added a zoom lens to compliment the kit lens, and then an external speed flash.

Retired

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Canon 5D mkIII as my primary camera with all the bells and whistles.

not much in the world that can beat that camera in sense of image quality, unless you fork out at least twice as much.

for backup i do pretty much anything from EOS M to my HTC One phone (although the resolution on the ONE is awful it still takes good photos)

• 3 weeks later...

Sony A57 which I love, and just got a Pentax K30 which is weather resistant as are the lenses I have for it. I,l be giving that its first run out in Pattaya during July so will post some results,,,,if they are worth posting

i want to to buy a new pocket camera and i need some help.

i used it mainly for still, not video mod

so i care only for image quality.

i used to take photos with my old canon powershot A720

which have really good image quality

since it was too old i bought the canon sx210 (optic zoom X14 , 14MP)

but i found out the images have poor quality (soft, not sharp etc.)

even relatively to the old model.

although good specifications im very disappointed from the new canon.

so i want to change it to nikon s8200

anyone have any suggetions?

Canon S110 is pretty cheap now, G15 too. The new Panny LF1 looks nice. 

I am also looking at a new camera for my next trip. Not sure whether to get a Nex 3N or G15.

I would steer clear of all Nikon point and shoots tbh. 

Sony Nex bodies are small, but when fitted with a lens become largish. Many keen photographers are taking the micro 4/3 route, because of the large sensors. I myself have recently done this, although I have still retained all my DSLR (Nikon and Sony Alpha) outfits. I have recently bought a Panasonic GF1 body, which are readily available now quite cheaply. I use this with a Panasonic 20mm f1.7 pancake lens, which gets superb reports in all lab tests. The 20mm becomes the equivalent of a 40mm on the GF1, by the way, and is perfect for candid photography. It is sharp wide open Because of the difficulty of using LCD screens, in the tropics particularly, I use this outfit with a Olympus OVF which is superb. This is for a 17mm (effective 34mm) lens, and is perfect in bright sunlight. Using a camera at eye level is what most DSLR users prefer and largely obviates camera-shake, due to the bracing effect of the more secure position. Holding a camera steady at a reading distance, (semi-arms length), is not easy, especially at slow shutter speeds in dim lighting conditions.

This outfit is likened to the old Leica M3 rangefinder days, now long gone, and with the OVF removed fits in a largish pocket. It gives results equivalent to my other DSLR gear.

I am a bit of a photo geek and have been a member of a large and very active camera club for over 40 years. Hate to think how much I have spent on gear in that time!!

Back in the days when I was doing darkroom colour printing I even indulged myself with the purchase of a medium format Hasselblad. This was around about the time of the moon landings. A 'Blad was used on the Apollo missions. The machine created lots of interest at the camera club. Medium format was better for printing work, having fewer problems with dust on negatives, due mainly to less enlargement being required than 35mm.

I would steer clear of all Nikon point and shoots tbh. 

Good advice , been selling cameras for 25 years and by far the most problems are with Nikon point and shoot cameras .

Good advice , been selling cameras for 25 years and by far the most problems are with Nikon point and shoot cameras .

How are the other brands, comparatively? 

• Canon
  • Sony
  • Fuji

I've never had problems with my Nikon or Canon point & shooters, but as I want to upgrade to a new pocketable P&S soon, it'd be great what you think about the other brands…

Sony Nex bodies are small, but when fitted with a lens become largish. Many keen photographers are taking the micro 4/3 route, because of the large sensors. I myself have recently done this, although I have still retained all my DSLR (Nikon and Sony Alpha) outfits. I have recently bought a Panasonic GF1 body, which are readily available now quite cheaply. I use this with a Panasonic 20mm f1.7 pancake lens, which gets superb reports in all lab tests. The 20mm becomes the equivalent of a 40mm on the GF1, by the way, and is perfect for candid photography. It is sharp wide open Because of the difficulty of using LCD screens, in the tropics particularly, I use this outfit with a Olympus OVF which is superb. This is for a 17mm (effective 34mm) lens, and is perfect in bright sunlight. Using a camera at eye level is what most DSLR users prefer and largely obviates camera-shake, due to the bracing effect of the more secure position. Holding a camera steady at a reading distance, (semi-arms length), is not easy, especially at slow shutter speeds in dim lighting conditions.

This outfit is likened to the old Leica M3 rangefinder days, now long gone, and with the OVF removed fits in a largish pocket. It gives results equivalent to my other DSLR gear.

I am a bit of a photo geek and have been a member of a large and very active camera club for over 40 years. Hate to think how much I have spent on gear in that time!!

Back in the days when I was doing darkroom colour printing I even indulged myself with the purchase of a medium format Hasselblad. This was around about the time of the moon landings. A 'Blad was used on the Apollo missions. The machine created lots of interest at the camera club. Medium format was better for printing work, having fewer problems with dust on negatives, due mainly to less enlargement being required than 35mm.

The Nex 3N comes with the new 20-50Mil power zoom lens. Body and lens are smaller than even the GF1 + 20mil. Considering the lens alone retails for $350 it's quite a compelling package, GF1 was a nice camera but was too bulky for me and unfortunately the GF models that followed seem to have gotten worse and worse. I think Panasonic is lost in the mirrorless area.

How are the other brands, comparatively? 

• Canon
  • Sony
  • Fuji

I've never had problems with my Nikon or Canon point & shooters, but as I want to upgrade to a new pocketable P&S soon, it'd be great what you think about the other brands…

Canon for me still number one , with Fuji , Panasonic as close second . I don't like the unnatural color reproduction of Sony so for me a no go .  

I'm using the S90/95 for point and shoot and they're still one of the best in this category (together with the new 100/110)  . Really small and great pics .

The  Nex 3N comes with the new 20-50Mil power zoom lens. Body and lens are smaller than even the GF1 + 20mil. Considering the lens alone retails for $350 it's quite a compelling package, GF1 was a nice camera but was too bulky for me and unfortunately the GF models that followed seem to have gotten worse and worse. I think Panasonic is lost in the mirrorless area.

The Sony Nex 3N is indeed a nice camera. It seem to come with a 16-50mm lens. I have not seem a Sony 20-50mm power zoom lens as per your post , advertised on the web, but things change so quickly these days

http://store.sony.com/p/Sony-Alpha-NEX-3N-Interchangeable-Lens-Camera-16-50mm-Lens/en/p/NEX3NL/B#specifications

It seems to lack an accessory shoe, also an OVF or EVF. For reasons described in my post, I am not interested on shooting via an LCD screen in the tropics.

I disagree with you about Panasonic mirrorless cameras. I have also just bought the EM-5 body, which gets rave reviews. It is in effect a miniature DSLR, but prism and mirrorless. Mirrors are so yesterday! The EVF is superb. Very high resolution, with all the information displayed one could wish for.

Enjoy your new purchase, and happy shooting

The Nex 3N comes with the new 20-50Mil power zoom lens. Body and lens are smaller than even the GF1 + 20mil. Considering the lens alone retails for $350 it's quite a compelling package, GF1 was a nice camera but was too bulky for me and unfortunately the GF models that followed seem to have gotten worse and worse. I think Panasonic is lost in the mirrorless area.

The Sony Nex 3N is indeed a nice camera. It seem to come with a 16-50mm lens. I have not seem a Sony 20-50mm power zoom lens as per your post , advertised on the web, but things change so quickly these days

http://store.sony.com/p/Sony-Alpha-NEX-3N-Interchangeable-Lens-Camera-16-50mm-Lens/en/p/NEX3NL/B#specifications

It seems to lack an accessory shoe, also an OVF or EVF. For reasons described in my post, I am not interested on shooting via an LCD screen in the tropics.

I disagree with you about Panasonic mirrorless cameras. I have also just bought the EM-5 body, which gets rave reviews. It is in effect a miniature DSLR, but prism and mirrorless. Mirrors are so yesterday! The EVF is superb. Very high resolution, with all the information displayed one could wish for.

Enjoy your new purchase, and happy shooting

Ok yes I meant the 16-55. Compared with the old ones its tiny. I suppose one advantage of pannys are you can interchange lenses with Olympus. Out of all the big manufactures I think most will agree Panasonic are nowhere near the top when it comes to mirrorless. I tried a gf2 and 5 and they seemed to get worse and worse. Not to mention the pre iPhone esque resistive touch screen.

Would rather go up 1 notch to apsc sized sensor as IQ is overall better and more comparable with a DSLR.

@kopite

Four thirds gear. One of the lenses, an extreme wide angle zoom cost over a grand (British Pounds)

The Canon 300mm f2.8 was sold to finance some of the micro 4/3 lenses.

Photo lens buying is very addictive. One of the members at my camera club has just bought the Nikon D3x full frame body only. Cost approximately £5,000. He's loaded of course. Makes deluxe conservatories for posh houses.

We're all quite mad, by the way !! I was into Hi-Fi long ago. That's an even worse affliction!!

Big Canon lens.jpg

micro four thirds lenses.jpg

Canon for me still number one , with Fuji , Panasonic as close second . I don't like the unnatural color reproduction of Sony so for me a no go .  

I'm using the S90/95 for point and shoot and they're still one of the best in this category (together with the new 100/110)  . Really small and great pics .

I've been using a S90 since it came out - even have that little stick-on aluminium grip. Great little camera, if a bit slow compared to the S95 (twice as fast, damnit) and the S100. I always end up getting these just before new models are announced, so I imagine this September I'll keep an eye out for the S120…   :laugh:

I've been using a S90 since it came out - even have that little stick-on aluminium grip. Great little camera, if a bit slow compared to the S95 (twice as fast, damnit) and the S100. I always end up getting these just before new models are announced, so I imagine this September I'll keep an eye out for the S120…   :laugh:

Funny thing is i had the 90 and the 95 but sold the 95 last month because i think the 90 still gives the best results and has a better build quality , lol .

@kopite

Hi again

Following your remarks about the Sony Nex 16-50mm lens, I logged on to the site I always refer to for lens.reviews. The lens, you will note is also not 16-55mm, as per your last post.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/sony-e-16-50mm-f-3-5-5-6-oss-lens-review-20667

It gets a mixed conclusion and is not one I would now consider. It is ,after all, a 'kit' lens and these are always a compromise. At f/3.5-5.6, it is also slow. I agree the lens is tiny and therefore portable. Decent lenses cost lots of money unfortunately.

My preference always leans towards prime lenses. If you wish to see the specs and verdict on the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7, on the above site, you will note it gets a superb write-up. As I mentioned it is very sharp even wide open. I do not like zooms for candid photography or street photography. I 'zoom' using my feet. A few steps is normally all that is required.

Cheers

PS Link to the specs for the Pannie 20mm f/1.7, for your info.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/panasonic-20mm-f-1-7-lumix-g-micro-four-thirds-lens-review-17550

Cheers again

John

Archived