IGNORED

Which camera are u using?

nirck

even the NEX's in body stabilisation didn't stabilise the body i was shooting enough to make it as sharp as I wanted it :-)

But I suppose your subject and mine had a few things in common: Waterdrops on leaves can also be pretty.

Of course taking your arsenal

>Taking nothing but legacy glass, a Yashica 135 2.8, a Yashica 55mm 2.8 Macro, and a CPC Phase 2 28mm 2.8 Macro. < negates my quest for portability...

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Micro 4/3 is where its at these days! You can get an adapter that will fit on either a Panasonic or Olympus body and all that 4/3 glass is usable. If you want to stick with Olympus you can get a OM-E5 their latest or find a deal won a E-P3 or E-P2. They are both 12MP but can easily be found for a song. The only downside is the EVF is separate or you use the LCD to frame the shot (hate doing that). If you want a built in EVF you can get the Panasonic line of Micro 4/3. Same adapter works for either camera as they use the same mount. The lenses are interchangeable. A good resource on all thing Micro 4/3 is MU-43.com.

Hi spanky,

I have previously owned two micro 4/3rds. Sold them both for about 400usd less than what I paid for them. Both Olympus. Ep3 & Ep1. I thought the noise was bad on my E30, but when shooting the ep3, I could not believe how terrible it was. I was out and about shooting night scenes, long exposures, and had pixels turning white, that's how bad the noise was on these little cameras. Really atrocious. I kept the Ep3 for about 4 months before getting rid of it. Ep1 kept about 2 months. Thought the new sensor and processor would be worth it, but really let me down.

The reason for getting them was to have something small and cruisy, even tried my shg glass on it, but I absolutely could not bring myself to like

I don't do much happy snapping, so the balance was not there for me to remain with a mirror less. I like to play in the studio with thought and planned shots. Prob doesn't help that I am a bit of a pixel peeper. Lol... no one ever likes to admit being one, but I hold my hand up, I pixel peep. Lol

I don't do much happy snapping, so the balance was not there for me to remain with a mirror less. I like to play in the studio with thought and planned shots. Prob doesn't help that I am a bit of a pixel peeper. Lol... no one ever likes to admit being one, but I hold my hand up, I pixel peep. Lol

For work like yours I could see where a M4/3 rig would not work. If you are a self confessed pixel peeper I'm shocked you didn't hang yourself. LOL. I'm not that anal retentive and my work rarely gets printed. The last event I shot was purely digital distribution so it was sized down accordingly and they were thrilled. I used a combo of my Panasonic G3 and my 5D II. I could tell which was shot with which without looking at file names or EXIF data but they could not. There is a difference but most will never know. I am still debating on dumping the Canon if the mythical Sony A99 full frame sensor makes an appearance. I love EVFs. You know what you are going to end up with and the Sony glass is getting solid reviews even for the non-pro level lenses which is nice.

'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

When I'm single I like playing the field. You call it picking up hookers. - Jim Norton

Yeah. At first I was quite excited about the Ep3, but after playing with it a bit, it was too difficult to recover the images from noise. Just put me off. The price versus iq, was not up to speed in my opinion, but very one is different as you said.

I did have some of them printed in A2, and weren't so bad after post. But was a bit if work involved with post, mind u they were mostly night scenes, long exposures.

I will switch to atop from I pad in a bit and post a few from the Ep3.

The ones I did take with studio flash were ok, but I found you need to have sufficient light to make the noise acceptable.

And I know it's ashamed I pixel peep the way I do, lol.... It's a bad habit I try to shake, but it's almost as difficult as quitting smoking. Lol

The other advantage of FF of course is that it gives you leeway with cropping. The latest shot I posted

http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/109583-ikkrang-off-the-leash-once-again/#entry1759730

(Warning, mild nudity) was taken from 30% of my full frame MKII. Even though cropped, it has enough detail to blow up quite large.

Of course in an ideal world you crop in camera, but we all know that is not always possible, and sometimes you find an edited crop afterwards that looks a better composition.

I don't think it is pixel peeping, I thik it is appreciation of an image of high quality, sharpness available when you want it.

Here are a few from the Olympus Micro 4/3rds taken last year.

Rose Garden Marina-002.jpg

Rose Garden Marina-005.jpg

Seaworld night-006.jpg

Seaworld night-008.jpg

Shekou-001.jpg

Using mostly Leica M, Sony Nex, Sony Alpha - and some Sinar 4x5. Throw in some Mamiya 6x7, and its enough variation really!

Amazed at what I get from the Sony Nex-5, it has half way replaced my M8 as a travel-kit...

Using mostly Leica M, Sony Nex, Sony Alpha - and some Sinar 4x5. Throw in some Mamiya 6x7, and its enough variation really!

Amazed at what I get from the Sony Nex-5, it has half way replaced my M8 as a travel-kit...

I agree with that last line! I used similar cameras, including the 6x7 and the 4x5".

Are you using your M lenses on the NEX5 ?

Well, just splashed out a whole 6,000 baht on a little Nikon Coolpix s6200, it'll do the job for me.

Both Canon and Nikon are great brands. I've got a Canon Rebel t3i that I purchased in Buffalo, NY after Niagara Falls drenched my old 1000D.

It's great in low light and the swivel screen is a nice new feature great for crowd shots.

Just treated myself to the Panasonic lumix G3 micro 4/3 camera with the stock 14-42mm lens.

Got a great deal of around 14500 baht for it.

This thing is the perfect trade off between size and functionality.

Can't wait to break it in :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just treated myself to the Panasonic lumix G3 micro 4/3 camera with the stock 14-42mm lens.

I have 2 G3 bodies. First piece of advice I am going to give you is to get rid of the lens. It's horrible to be perfectly honest. If you want a zoom thats small get the 14-45 Panasonic. Might not seem that big of a difference but it is. If you really want to get the best out of the camera get the Panasonic Leica 25mm 1.4. Will cost more than the camera but it will be worth it. If you don't want to invest in that look at the Panasonic 20mm 1.7. Great lens. Been playing with it recently on my Olympus as a point and shoot.

There is a whole host of native lenses you can get for the G3 but you can also get adapter and buy some really great manual focus lenses as well. I have Zeiss and Leica glass that I have purchased for almost nothing along with extremely fast prime lenses as well. Just select the option of shoot without lens and you will be able to use almost anything.

Finally, just remember it's a micro 4/3 camera so everything is doubled. If you have a 25mm lens you are really shooting at 50mm because of the 2x crop factor of the sensor.

Enjoy the great camera!

When I'm single I like playing the field. You call it picking up hookers. - Jim Norton

Thanks for the tips bud!

I know the lens I got with it isn't the best, but for now I'm still on a learning curve going from my lumix zs7(i think!). But future lens investments are definatly inevitable, and the fact that I can buy mounts that will fit regular dslr lenses is one of the main reasons I bought this camera.

One of the perks of living where I do is that there are heaps of used camera shops with dirt cheap lenses of all descriptions.

Just want to make sure I can walk before I start to run lol.

When you are lens shopping, which you admit will happen eventually you can also purchase Olympus M4/3 lenses as they are the same mounts. The older manual lenses are a lot of fun. Just avoid anything that was designed for digital camera because you won't be able to step down the aperture on them unless you already have a camera with that mount and you step it down before you mount it on the camera. I will suggest a Yashica 55mm Macro as one of your first adapted lenses. The price has went through the roof on ebay because everyone has figured out how good these are. If you can find one for yourself do so, if you can find a lot of them start selling on ebay immediately. :GrinNod1:

Thanks for the advice on the Yashica 55mm, how much should I be looking to pay for a good condition lens? I did a quick check on taobao, and there's one available for around £30.

Thanks for the advice on the Yashica 55mm, how much should I be looking to pay for a good condition lens? I did a quick check on taobao, and there's one available for around £30.

That's about right. I got mine from a thrift store for $31 but your £30 is about $50 US which is reasonable for the lens. In the US they are going for upwards of $200 on ebay.

i have a cannon sx30 it is a p&s one step below an slr and has one hell of a zoom

I like both Nikon for their DSLR cameras and Canon for their PS cameras. Nikons DSLR are better IMO when taking pictures with a flash in low light settings while Canons I get various outcomes.

Here are a few from the Olympus Micro 4/3rds taken last year.

Rose Garden Marina-002.jpg

Rose Garden Marina-005.jpg

Seaworld night-006.jpg

Seaworld night-008.jpg

Shekou-001.jpg

Those are some beautiful pictures, well done.

Posted Image

Those are some beautiful pictures, well done.

Thanks mate

Archived