player

Laos?

player

I've never been to Laos, but am considering it. I don't know much about the place, particularly mongering there.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has experience of Laos.

- What's the mongering scene like? Lots of cute girls? Prices?

- Are the hotels guest friendly? Any recommendations? Prices?

- Is it safe to monger there? Any problems?

- I'm thinking mainly of Vientane because it's the capital, but maybe there's other good places to go for girls?

- Anything else you could tell me that would be useful for a first-timer to know?

ingo67

There several good reasons (scenery, culture, history) to go to Laos;mongering is definitely NOT one of them.

Its is technically illegal for a Laos woman and a foreign man to "sleep" together, and almost all hotels are not "guest friendly", with notices advising so. This can be gotten around with a bribe and may not be enforced too strictly at some hotels, but it would put you at risk. Because of this law, there are loads of ladyboys about, as the law does not apply in the same way.

Having said that there is a freelancer scene in Vientiane - Bor Pen Nyang, Samlor and later at the Don Chan Palace hotel.

Not from personal experience, but I have heard girls quote at least 2,000bht in Vientiane, less with some negotiation I'm sure, but its not cheap. Also, even Vientiane is no party town, BPN closing at midnight, Samlor had a big sign saying it shuts at 11.30 but was open until 1am last year. Don Chan is the late venue, may be 2 or 3 am, but not been myself.

Luang Prabang is the only other really busy, touristy place, but never found any places like BPN.

I've been on a couple of motorbike trips to Laos, covering over 4,500km, stretching from the north down to the south. Many people say it is a boring place, probably right, but if you do go for the scenery, culture, history it is great for a few weeks. Many provincial towns are closed up for the night by 10pm at the latest. Pattaya for mongering, NOT Laos.

nightwatch

I will be there for a few days in March. I have heard a bit about the mongering scene but it doesn't sound promising so may just skip while there and live it up in Thailand before and after going there. i would do a search on Vientiane or Udon Thani and you may get some more info.

Laoman

There is a lot of nonsense posted here. In Vientiane the p4p scene is certainly quite open. There are bars such as Bor Pen Nyang which have plenty of freelancers. You can pick up girls on the Mekong and there are lots of Vietnamese brothels around as well. Just ask a tut tuk driver.

nightwatch

There is a lot of nonsense posted here. In Vientiane the p4p scene is certainly quite open. There are bars such as Bor Pen Nyang which have plenty of freelancers. You can pick up girls on the Mekong and there are lots of Vietnamese brothels around as well. Just ask a tut tuk driver.

thanks for the info

Piece Corp

Take lots of 20 baht notes for taxi and small expenses, to avoid getting local currency as change. Also, can save money by paying for entry visa using US Dollars: $35 vs. 1500 baht, as I recall. In Viantiane, some fine French restaurants around the fountain, good coffee, and Beer Lao. Mongering scene can't compare to LOS.

Edited by Piece Corp

Laoman

The above advice is very poor. I don't know from where people get this stuff. Pay in Kip. Take USD, Baht etc and change into Kip here. Kip is the official currency and the Govt encourages vendors to charge in Kip; pay in Baht and you will generally pay more.

bgtp

Stayed in Vientaine for three nights about a year ago. Great place to hang out for a few days. Good food (including baguettes and coffee). Nice sights nearby like Buddha Park (the official name escapes me). Very friendly locals. Took girls back to my room at the guesthouse two nights (one from BPN and another from Samlor). Very nice LT's, asked for 2000 baht but readily accepted 1500 (reasonable to me when you consider no barfine or ladydrinks). From what I could tell most hotels were not guest friendly. I stayed in a guesthouse. Owners lived in a big house and the guestrooms were in another building, so no problem for me. I'd definitely go back for a 2 or 3 day visit.

If you want to screw Lao girls without going to Laos, try any Thai town on the Mekong. Most of the working girls will be Lao. I've had OK times in Nakhon Phanom and Mukdahan.

Gaudente

Laos surely is not good for mongering.

However if you go to Vientiane to get your new double entry visa you can spend some "happy days" (of the happy pizza sort) taking a side trip to Vang Vieng http://www.thefullwiki.org/Vang_Vieng

Chris1966

Any update with this thread ?

I've planned to be in Lunag Prabang a couple of days in August ...

Ocelot

It's been a few years since I last visited Laos, but when I was there I would say that Laos is one of the most limited countries in P4P in all of SE Asia. Places like Luang Prabang and Vang Vieng are more filled with college backpackers and NGO workers so these areas will have a very limited P4P scene. I think your best chance of finding any action is to ask a local Laotion who can point you to some discos where freelancers work or maybe some tuk tuk drivers know some girl or a local brothel that they receive a commission on.

Vientiane was a little better as I did stumble into some small Karaoke joints and even found a few massage places, but I never partook in any P4P action while there as these venues felt very shoddy and lacked that special oomph which Thailand seems to have perfected. The women working in these places were nothing to write home about as well.

My recommendation is to hop on over the border from Vientiane to Isaan as its only a short bus ride away and even in the Isaan cities, the amount of P4P action is more readily available than anything you can find in Laos. For me I loved Laos mostly because it was a great escape from the hustling nature of the Thais and the people were some of the nicest I've ever met in all of my travels. If you want to meet some friendly, simple natured and good hearted people where you can possibly hook up with a more traditional girl or even a foreign woman, then Laos is the place to be. For P4P, there are far better countries for that kind of action.

Chris1966

Thanks for the return of experience ...

Fortunately , I spend 12 days in Samui after Laos

P4P will wait ...

DJ Phil

I am meant to be spending two weeks in Laos after a month of madness in Pattaya, staying with friends for a proper R&R break. They've already told me how quiet it is where their house is and that if for whatever reason I get bored they won't be offended if I decided to head back to the LOS for another crack at Pattaya. I am already looking at hotels  :GoldenSmile1: y'know, just in case.

Edited by DJ Phil

Pepecs

I have only been in Vientiane, but best thing in Lao was, when Thai woman entered my hotel. Friends girlfriend, but the point is that I really felt Vientiane booooring.

Sabaidee @ lao hotel was friendly for "visitors". Of course with a generous tip.

Can go again for short time, if somebody needs a friend, but 3 nights is my maximum there.

moonfull

Going into laos 7th oct 2 nights vientaine the could end up anywhere, was thinking of flying to luang prebang for 2 nights then back to vientaine and then motorbike to vieng vieng! Any views or advice welcome! Cheers

Bazle

Any update with this thread ?

I've planned to be in Lunag Prabang a couple of days in August ...

I spent 4 nights in LP a few weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is one of the most beautiful and relaxed places I've visited.

I took a TG with me so wasn't looking for P4P, which I think is just as well as there wasn't any place I saw which even hinted at it.

moonfull

Back home now spent 4 nights in laos enjoyed it ! 2 nights Vientiane drank on the waterfront bar very busy live band and full of youngsters! Lots of freelancers about , on the next table to us there was 3girls and one lad we got chatty with lad and bought em a couple of big beerlao, they share a bottle between them with ice, next thing the girls started sitting next to us one by one making small talk obviously freelancers they were in there early twenties really freindly but when I told them I was not butterfly off they went no hassle at all! We ended up in salmo bar which was full of scrubbers and I mean rough as sand paper but same again tell em you're married and they leave u alone! We also drank in Billabong bar owned by an ozzy called Patrick really nice guy who sorted us with a nice tea bone steak off the barbaque! We then got a bus to Vang vieng went tubbing great fun, stayed next to the irish bar 30 dollers for twin room for 2 nights great value we hired motorbikes and traveled around looking in caves and swimming in rivers had a great day! Most bars shut for midnight! I fancied a massage so found one around corner, 30 mins in the girl said wait please and came back in with owner and what looked like a bar girl freelancer and asked did I want extra massage I said no thanx then off they went and the girl carried on very strange!! Went next day for massage to a diff one and a young girl about twenty done massage her hands were rough as fuck don't know if it was a hard working girl or a ladyboy suppose I will never know but he or she done a good job was asked did I want happy ending no thanx no problem and off I went! Next time I go to lao I will fly to lang proubang from Vientiane and hire bikes to explore area! All in all great country from what I saw cheep booze and freindly people !!

dayo202

Back home now spent 4 nights in laos enjoyed it ! 2 nights Vientiane drank on the waterfront bar very busy live band and full of youngsters! Lots of freelancers about , on the next table to us there was 3girls and one lad we got chatty with lad and bought em a couple of big beerlao, they share a bottle between them with ice, next thing the girls started sitting next to us one by one making small talk obviously freelancers they were in there early twenties really freindly but when I told them I was not butterfly off they went no hassle at all! We ended up in salmo bar which was full of scrubbers and I mean rough as sand paper but same again tell em you're married and they leave u alone! We also drank in billabong bar owned by an ozzy called Patrick really nice guy who sorted us with a nice tea bone steak off the barbaque! We then got a bus to Vang vieng went tubbing great fun, stayed next to the irish bar 30 dollers for twin room for 2 nights great value we hired motorbikes and traveled around looking in caves and swimming in rivers had a great day! Most bars shut for midnight! I fancied a massage so found one around corner, 30 mins in the girl said wait please and came back in with owner and what looked like a bar girl freelancer and asked did I want extra massage I said no thanx then off they went and the girl carried on very strange!! Went next day for massage to a diff one and a young girl about twenty done massage her hands were rough as fuck don't know if it was a hard working girl or a ladyboy suppose I will never know but he or she done a good job was asked did I want happy ending no thanx no problem and off I went! Next time I go to lao I will fly to lang proubang from Vientiane and hire bikes to explore area! All in all great country from what I saw cheep booze and freindly people !!

Moonfull,

Whats currency is best to use in laos ? US doller, kip or baht ?

moonfull

Take dollars or sterling and change into kip in any hotel or travel agent! It's easier to use kip becouse you get change from dollars in kip s o u might as well use it! Just don't change to much at a time incase you are left with too much if your not going back!