Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

the real cost of living

ivan77

Taxi cheap food cheap, rent cheap, if you have one bed condo and you have girlfriend,or dont pay for it more tan twice a week, i cant see how i could spend more than 40.000 a month and this is eating out thai food everyday 18.000 condo and bills, taxis a few beers every night. How does the average ex pat spend more than this, unless they have a different girl every night all night.

40k seems a bit low for a month, that would be:

18k for condo

approx 30k for girl (at 1000 a day)

So only 2k for all the rest?

If you was full time you would not have a new girl everyday, maybe three a week or if you had a proper girlfriend, it would not be a great deal more, the only thing that will eat up your budget is paying for sex everyday.

50,000 bt - 60,000 bt a month, (Condo Rent Excluded.).

60,000 bt - 70,000 bt a month , (Condo Rent Included )

okay that sounds good, can you break the 70.000 down please

no the 60.000 sorry

8000 bt for condo, 1000 bt for water and electric. =9,000 bt

Laundry for a month 1000 bt.

Tesco/Lotus for Groceries 2000 bt a month

500 bt daily for thai foods including breakfast = 15,000 bt

1000 bt for LT from Coconut Bar or Beer bar ( 5 times a week) 20,000 bt

13,000 bt for drink and bahtbus/ or rent Motorbike for a month

Total 60,000 bt... Happy Days :Chokdee:

I am planning on staying there long term and I think I could manage it with 300 Australian dollars a week which works out to approx. 36000 Bt per month. If I can survive here in Oz on $400 a week (as I had to) I am damn sure I could live with a lot less in Pattaya. Before my illness I used to earn well over 1K a week but necessity made me change my spending habits and look at life in a totally different way.

A friend of mine knows a guy that does it on about 30000bt per month. When living long term you won't need a girl every night ( at least I won't ) I have gone months on end here without a woman so 3 times per week would be enough for me, but again, you have choices. No need to pay 1000 bt for LT when you can pay just 500 bt for ST.

There are plenty of cheap places to rent. The girl I had last trip was staying in a one bedroom with bathroom and was paying 4500 per month. ( I know she is Thai paying long term ).She wasn't using much electricity as fridge was off but even so wouldn't come to more that 6500 including the rest. I could quite easily live in a place like that though personally I would like a kitchen as well as I cook myself meaning I am able to save more money. Though you can get street food or Thai dishes for about 39 bt which means 150 bt per day could adequately cover your food.

I am only a social drinker so I don't drink every day, though I cannot be totally anti social so will have at least one or two drinks when I go out. Again when I stay there longer I will only be going to bar maybe 2 times per week.

I don't need to hire a bike and no longer would hire one again as you are held responsible even when not at fault. Bt Buses everywhere at 10 bt per trip adequate to get by in Pattaya.

Lets do a quick monthly calculation (Take averages for someone who isn't too fussy and doesn't have much funds )

Condo 8,000 bt

Women 8,000 bt (4 ST per week )

Laundry 1,000 bt

Groceries 3,000 bt

Internet 500 bt

Drinks 1,000 bt

Bus 900 bt ( average 3 trips per day )

TOTAL 22,400 BT

I probably forgot something but nevertheless you can see that it is possible it just depends on you as an individual and what you can or can't live without. With the above figure you have options to spend more on rent, girls, drinks etc.

As I have stated above I have learnt to live on a small amount and have come to realise that I don't actually need a car, a plasma tv, new clothes every week and a host of other unnecessary goods. Having said that ,not everyone could do it. But for me to do back home what I have described I would need over $1000 Au a week just for rent and women (rent $250, women $800). It is really a no brainer for myself.

Edited by kontak

Have You Guys considered / budgeted for some other costs?

You may wish to factor in, Visa runs,Health Insurance,Trips home to your home country, medications,clothing, minor kitchen appliances (those that cook), small furnishings to your place of residence,activities/ hobbies,and any unforseen emergencies...

I myself would wouldnt trade the quality of life I have in my country for merely existing in a third world country, but each to their own, there are hundreds of threads about this topic with just as many different oppinions as to what is the right amount of $Baht.

I am planning on staying there long term and I think I could manage it with 300 Australian dollars a week which works out to approx. 36000 Bt per month. If I can survive here in Oz on $400 a week (as I had to) I am damn sure I could live with a lot less in Pattaya. Before my illness I used to earn well over 1K a week but necessity made me change my spending habits and look at life in a totally different way.

A friend of mine knows a guy that does it on about 30000bt per month. When living long term you won't need a girl every night ( at least I won't ) I have gone months on end here without a woman so 3 times per week would be enough for me, but again, you have choices. No need to pay 1000 bt for LT when you can pay just 500 bt for ST.

There are plenty of cheap places to rent. The girl I had last trip was staying in a one bedroom with bathroom and was paying 4500 per month. ( I know she is Thai paying long term ).She wasn't using much electricity as fridge was off but even so wouldn't come to more that 6500 including the rest. I could quite easily live in a place like that though personally I would like a kitchen as well as I cook myself meaning I am able to save more money. Though you can get street food or Thai dishes for about 39 bt which means 150 bt per day could adequately cover your food.

I am only a social drinker so I don't drink every day, though I cannot be totally anti social so will have at least one or two drinks when I go out. Again when I stay there longer I will only be going to bar maybe 2 times per week.

I don't need to hire a bike and no longer would hire one again as you are held responsible even when not at fault. Bt Buses everywhere at 10 bt per trip adequate to get by in Pattaya.

Lets do a quick monthly calculation (Take averages for someone who isn't too fussy and doesn't have much funds )

Condo 8,000 bt

Women 8,000 bt (4 ST per week )

Laundry 1,000 bt

Groceries 3,000 bt

Internet 500 bt

Drinks 1,000 bt

Bus 900 bt ( average 3 trips per day )

TOTAL 22,400 BT

I probably forgot something but nevertheless you can see that it is possible it just depends on you as an individual and what you can or can't live without. With the above figure you have options to spend more on rent, girls, drinks etc.

As I have stated above I have learnt to live on a small amount and have come to realise that I don't actually need a car, a plasma tv, new clothes every week and a host of other unnecessary goods. Having said that ,not everyone could do it. But for me to do back home what I have described I would need over $1000 Au a week just for rent and women (rent $250, women $800). It is really a no brainer for myself.

you are absolutely dreaming if you think y can do this for 22k baht per month.

For a retirement visa the min. monthly requirement is 65k per month.

65k will give u a good life style - better than I had in Australia - have a look at the link below to get a better idea of costs - 1000 a month for drinks :LMAO1:

Edited by pcliff69

deleted if I could

Edited by pcliff69

I have a much higher budget planned and as im coming to stay for a few months now i will track all my expenses with "mywallet" app. I will try not to flaunt my money but also not be too worried to see what a care free budget would cost me in patts. I will report subsequently.

you are absolutely dreaming if you think y can do this for 22k baht per month.

For a retirement visa the min. monthly requirement is 65k per month.

65k will give u a good life style - better than I had in Australia - have a look at the link below to get a better idea of costs - 1000 a month for drinks :LMAO1:

I wasn't talking retirement visa here. I am planning on staying possibly 2 months or 3 max before returning back.If I stay for a third month I know I will need to do one or 2 visa runs. I am still within my budget.

If you read my post correctly,( I based it on 36,000 baht ), you also would have noticed that I don't drink very much at all. I said I will drink probably 2 times a week by 1 or 2 drinks if I shout one. It averages at 200 bt per week even at 400 bt for 4 to 6 drinks even at drinks at 1600 bt per month I am well within my averaged limits. I did mention that there would be a few more expenses.

You may wish to factor in, Visa runs,Health Insurance,Trips home to your home country, medications,clothing, minor kitchen appliances (those that cook), small furnishings to your place of residence,activities/ hobbies,and any unforseen emergencies...

I myself would wouldnt trade the quality of life I have in my country for merely existing in a third world country, but each to their own, there are hundreds of threads about this topic with just as many different oppinions as to what is the right amount of $Baht.

Well how much is a visa run? more than 3000 bt. We are not talking trips back home ( Well I wasn't as I have budgeted separately for that). I rarely take medications as I am against the insidious pharmaceutical industry. No one will give you health insurance if you have a chronic illness ( so cross me off on that one ) one less expense too.

I have plenty of clothes and unless you are a label person they are very cheap to buy. If you were living off a pension in Australia and you were earning $380 per week you wouldn't have a life, as you would have to sacrifice a hell of a lot of stuff that you could still have in Pattaya, that was the point I was trying to get across.

45k a month with a live in GF....and I don't drink or smoke! Not including major items like big screen telly, scooter, pick-up, trips.

"If it feels good, just keep doing it!"

I think the thai visa limit of 65k a month is a very good indication of what you need to live here. I own my condo so do not pay rent so my monthly budget is less, around 52,500 a month. You can of course live on less but if you want anywhere near a decent (western) lifestyle then 52k or 65K (if you pay rent) is the minimum.

Just by putting around 40 k and the deal is made for me.

Each to their own,but the principal fact for me, it's that with that amount of money, i can still have 3 LT per week.

I can not even dream about that if i consider the p4p in my own country.

After the matter of eating Thai food,having to count my money,not being able to take a lady everyday,being in a basic condo and so on..it's not so much a problem..the primordial matter is that i can still have 3 different ladies every week if i want and that's the principal for me.

So 40 to 50 k per month is the budget i plan to have when preparing my Thailand trip as a long time resident(probably 2 to 3 months each time,two trip per year.)

No way i would blow off 3 k euros per month and stay the others 10 months in France as a viable plan.

Edited by green1976

Money will get you bitches, but bitches will never give you money.

cut the women out, then paenuts

Spot On...

It's possible to get a room for 3000 a month, eat thai street food for 100 a day, so you could live on 6000 a month (like most Thais) but then again that wouldn't be that much fun, 5 star hotel and 2 girls a night.... the sky's your limit.

• 1 month later...

Damn....after seeing how everyone spends, I can completely see I earned my patts millionaire badge for my first trip!!! :Think1:

1st trip went like this:

Time spent: 2 weeks - Patts

Hotel: 18,000

P4P: 84,000 (Start every afternoon with a tricycle :GoldenSmile1: ) (Every night with a LT....well...almost. I couldn't resist a few 10s for ST)

Drinks: 3000

Food: 4000

Daytime activities: 20,000

Transportation (minus air fare) 2400

Grand total for a 14 day stay: 130,000ish

The key to a successful mongering is hydration, hydration, hydration. Eat and hydrate like you're preparing for a marathon and you're money will never go wasted.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm a Newbie my first post is a simple question - can any member inform me of the approximate fare that I can expect to be charged from the airport to the Dynasty Inn Soi 4 in a taxi ?

I usually stay at the Cape Cod apartments. Nice and not to expensive.

For me the big expense is condoms, food, and fun. ;)