IGNORED

Pattaya Bay Resort

PatNewb

I've stayed at PBR before and enjoyed it.  I'm thinking of staying again in about a week (so for the end of July and begining of August) 

I'm glad that it sounds like the construction is more quiet now.

Can people confirm that they now actually charge 500 THB for bringing a second girl?  This is frustrating because of the money, and also because I don't really like the idea of being challenged and harassed about what I'm doing.  Are there other good hotels people recommend if PBR isn't that great now, that are better about this?  (I also do like the good breakfast you can get until pretty late, if other places have that, though its not mandatory)  

For the people who stay there, where do you usually pick up the girls to bring back, and how do you get back to the hotel?  Do you just take a Baht Bus from Walking Street or whatnot?

Thanks!

I'm staying there now. The construction work at the front has finished and the new hotel looks like it will be opening soon.  Unfortunately it's ruined any chance of natural light in the front facing PBR rooms!  I'm at the back, and look over a huge dumping ground which eventually will be come a huge condo.  There is no sign of that happening anytime soon.  There is a lot of construction work in the area and this morning there was a fair amount of drilling that woke me (although not my girl!).  I couldn't see where the drilling was coming from, but I think it was over towards the back of Areca Lodge.

The 500 baht fee for a "2nd guest" has always been in their rules but, as far as I know, is never applied.  This might have changed.

If I'm coming back from WS, I call the 24-hour tuktuk at the end of Soi 15 and he's there in 5 minutes or less.  Otherwise hop on a baht bus and get off at the Avenue and walk through.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For the people who stay there, where do you usually pick up the girls to bring back, and how do you get back to the hotel?  Do you just take a Baht Bus from Walking Street or whatnot?

It's a very short walk from LK Metro through the alleyway next to Areca Lodge which comes out adjacent to the 7-11 near PBR.

From Walking Street in the evening, just hop on a waiting baht bus at the Second Road and South Road intersection and take it to The Avenue mall, then walk through the open ground floor (or access alley on Avenue south side) which takes you right near the PBR driveway.

There is a lot of construction work in the area and this morning there was a fair amount of drilling that woke me (although not my girl!).  I couldn't see where the drilling was coming from, but I think it was over towards the back of Areca Lodge.

That damn security guard at the entrance to the dump site/worker housing sure likes to blow his whistle.  :Whistle:

That and the working on that complex going up (like you said) between Areca Lodge and Soi 15.  I looked it up online and they're putting in some fancy condo & hotel community.

I'm staying there now. The construction work at the front has finished and the new hotel looks like it will be opening soon.  Unfortunately it's ruined any chance of natural light in the front facing PBR rooms!  I'm at the back, and look over a huge dumping ground which eventually will be come a huge condo.  There is no sign of that happening anytime soon.  There is a lot of construction work in the area and this morning there was a fair amount of drilling that woke me (although not my girl!).  I couldn't see where the drilling was coming from, but I think it was over towards the back of Areca Lodge.

The 500 baht fee for a "2nd guest" has always been in their rules but, as far as I know, is never applied.  This might have changed.

If I'm coming back from WS, I call the 24-hour tuktuk at the end of soi 15 and he's there in 5 minutes or less.  Otherwise hop on a baht bus and get off at the Avenue and walk through.

Thanks, that's interesting.  I could try staying at Areca since its just a few bucks more and I've never tried it before.  I don't want to turn this into a debate thread, but they do seem like relatively comparable hotels, am I right?  I heard the breakfast and facilities were a bit better at Areca.  Maybe I'm easy to please but I've ended up liking everywhere I stayed in Pattaya. 

Thanks, that's interesting.  I could try staying at Areca since its just a few bucks more and I've never tried it before.  I don't want to turn this into a debate thread, but they do seem like relatively comparable hotels, am I right?  I heard the breakfast and facilities were a bit better at Areca.  Maybe I'm easy to please but I've ended up liking everywhere I stayed in Pattaya. 

Areca is a more expensive option - I haven't stayed there, but it has a good reputation among BMs. PBR has long been a favorite of mine - it's a nice hotel, in a good location, lovely rooftop pool and most important, hugely friendly staff...my only issue is the building works - that's why I have been staying elsewhere.

standart room price is 900 baht for August....this is a great price and I want to make a reservation but I am scared if something is wrong with the hotel??very noisy or etc??

Never seen this prices for 3 years 

Building works all around, If you have not yet tried ear plugs :Laugh1:

• 2 weeks later...

will the safes in this hotel room fit a 17inch laptop?

no...

You need not worry though... the staff is very trustworthy...

I leave "2" laptops out for my entire stay... I never have any worries...

no...

You need not worry though... the staff is very trustworthy...

I leave "2" laptops out for my entire stay... I never have any worries...

Yes, in more than 7 years of staying there I've never had an issue with security and often leave my laptop out.

I've stayed at PBR before and enjoyed it.  I'm thinking of staying again in about a week (so for the end of July and begining of August) 

I'm glad that it sounds like the construction is more quiet now.

Can people confirm that they now actually charge 500 THB for bringing a second girl?  This is frustrating because of the money, and also because I don't really like the idea of being challenged and harassed about what I'm doing.  Are there other good hotels people recommend if PBR isn't that great now, that are better about this?  (I also do like the good breakfast you can get until pretty late, if other places have that, though its not mandatory)  

Thanks!

I got charged 500b last September for the 2nd girl.

I got charged 500b last September for the 2nd girl.

Interesting.  I think the PBR's monger-friendly reputation may be on the wane.  Come back Dr Kim!!

I tried getting around it, even sending her back to my friends room who was asleep alone. I got the angry call when they were checking out and had to come down to pay.

I don't blame her for getting angry, I was a drunk idiot trying to save some baht.

I used to love the PBR....but I don't know that I will be back.

I used to too.  I'm staying there now but have taken a front room as the condo works at the back look like they've started, ahead of schedule!  The plan is that once the new hotel in front is open, PBR will close for a year.  When it opens again it will be "upgraded", whatever that means.

Funnily enough I ran into Dr Kim last night on WS - those were the days!

• 2 weeks later...

I used to too.  I'm staying there now but have taken a front room as the condo works at the back look like they've started, ahead of schedule!  The plan is that once the new hotel in front is open, PBR will close for a year.  When it opens again it will be "upgraded", whatever that means.

Funnily enough I ran into Dr Kim last night on WS - those were the days!

Yes, those were the days!  

If Kim was still running the place I would never consider staying any where else.  Last March I stayed in a condo and will do the same next year.

Sorry to hear about all this "upgraded" stuff.  They probably think they can get rates similar to Mercure next door and I can't believe that will happen resulting in very low rates of occupancy and revenue and happiness for all involved.

Women Are Like Elephants. I Like to Look At Em. But I Wouldn't Want to Own One. - WC Fields

• 3 weeks later...

I have stayed here for 2 trips and have been satisfied. 2012 and 2013 I believe. I must agree about the thin walls, but it didn't bother me any. I am planning on exploring new locations on my next trip, but I would stay at the PBR again. Centrally located, very friendly staff, laundry service, rooftop swimming pool and restaurant, competitive price, and no problems with joiners for the times I was there (2nd girl included).

Must... save... travel money.

• 2 weeks later...

I've stayed here during my 1st and 2nd trip but not sure about my 3rd which is coming soon.

Does anyone know similar hotels as PBR but closer to action (Beach Road, Walking Street) ?

As long as rooms have fridge and safety locker + free wifi and breakfast included.

i stayed there two times.

whaat is the updated review of this hotel ? 

what about construciton ???

The construction at the front has finished, so there's minimal noise for front facing rooms (odd numbered). The site at the back is getting started and I wouldn't take a back facing room (even numbers) due to this.

It's still an OK place to stay but a shadow of its former self. Due to close down for about 12 months for major refurbishment next year.

• 2 months later...

All good things come to an end. Was great before the construction but now time to move on to new hotel. my favourite day/early evening bar is Wonderful 2 on second road and soi 13/1 so need to be close to that area.

All good things come to an end. Was great before the construction but now time to move on to new hotel. my favourite day/early evening bar is Wonderful 2 on second road and soi 13/1 so need to be close to that area.

Yes mate...PBR, the end of an era. I used to love that hotel, a real home from home.

Yes mate...PBR, the end of an era. I used to love that hotel, a real home from home.

And then the indians bought it I believe!

used to be great value at $1000 baht and if you got up early enough it included breakfast for 2!

This version of me will not stay the same, tomorrow I will be different.

Me too.  They were nice enough to upgrade me to the Presidential Suite for my last stay there, and I would still stay there if I didn't have my own house.  There is no noise at the front, although the proximity of the Ozo is horribly close, but the back side will be a no go for a year or so, assuming PBR doesn't close for a refurbishment next year.

And then the indians bought it I believe!

Koreans I heard. 

Archived