IGNORED

Best place to get travelers cheques?

deathlay

Hi where is the best place to get travelers cheques in the uk?normally take cash but as i am going for a longer period i will be taking more cash so feel travelers cheques is the way to go so..does it really matterwhere i go?bank?thomas cook or online?or something or somewhere else i have missed?

Not sure about UK but in oz some credit cards give their gold/platinum members free travellers cheques. Just remember that you pay a fee to cash them, usually 30+ baht per cheque so high denomination cheques are the way to go.

would it be better to set up an account with a forex company, then open a bank account at say Kasikorn (Passport plus your hotel details, then transfer cash. simple, easy, cost effective....

i go to marks and spencer to get mine. To be honnest it doesnt matter where you get them as you will get the amount you pay for. What matters is where you cash them up.

post office is good. buy 100's or 50's as you pay for each one you cash.

but a better exchange rate.

Order online or by phone from Lloyds or Halifax and they are commission free. Ask for large denomination, I went to the branch to pick up but they will deliver.

Tesco travel shop( inside tesco stores) charge is 1.5% on sterling cheques, no charge for others ie us dollar/euro, you can get the denomination you want, i got mine in £100, as there is a charge per cheque when cashing about 30 baht. ordering on line in bank you end up getting loads of £20 and a few £10.

Tesco travel shop( inside tesco stores) charge is 1.5% on sterling cheques, no charge for others ie us dollar/euro, you can get the denomination you want, i got mine in £100, as there is a charge per cheque when cashing about 30 baht. ordering on line in bank you end up getting loads of £20 and a few £10.

No need to pay 1.5% when you can get 0% unless you want to waste money. I ordered a thousand at a time, several times and each one had 3 £200 ones and 4 £100's.

You can get a good rate for cash in places like Topp's Supermarket, but they don't exchange TC's, it's just that you have the insurance with the TC's.

I ordered mine over the phone with my bank but also can do it online or in the bank -I think if you order order before 3pm and you can pick them up the next day after 11am. As already been said ask for large denominations so you get them in £200's and £100's. Over the phone they give you a reference number and you also have to take the bank/credit card you ordered them with to the bank -like a proof of i.d. thing I assume

Also got them from the post office before -you can get them on the day if they have them in stock -remember to take your passport though -and if you keep the receipt then you can cash them back commision free when you get home (assuming you do come home with any!)

Think they charge 33B a cheque when you cash em in LOS?