Sign in to follow this  
sandman

Hotels in Indonesia!

sandman

Prior to my recent trip to Indonesia I spent a great deal of time & suffered a great deal of frustration in searching hotel Websites there. Maybe I can save other BM's some heartache.

Most notable, many of Indo's hotel websites do not quote NETT prices. As there is a whopping 21% gov't tax on hotel fees, this is significant. Whether you are dealing with the hotel directly or with one of the booking engines, please ensure that you have the NETT price before committing yourself. Also, do not count upon timely answers to your EMAIL requests.

If you are dealing with a real Cheapie, ensure there is hot water & that the bathroom is ensuite.

Indonesia's hotels, like many of Thailand's hotels, will sometimes not include safeboxes in their lists of facilities, even if they have them. A safebox is critical to me. Please ensure that your intended has individual safeboxes, not a shared one. Not one of the 3 hotels I occupied had in-room safes, all behind reception. All were guest friendly.

At all 3 hotels the room cleaners were male, termed ROOMBOYS. Understand this is quite the norm in Indo. All 3 provided a fresh toothbrush everyday; 1st time I've encountered this. At all 3 hotels the staffs were extremely pleasant & helpful. I paid all 3 with my Visa, & only one assessed a surcharge.

I booked the hotel Melawi in Jakarta thru the booking engine on their website with a discounted rate. When I arrived, they shot the regular rate at me. I produced a copy of my EMAIL confirmation & eventually got the discount. INTERNET & laundry at the Melawi are ridiculously expensive. The second hotel in Jakarta I had to book thru Agoda, as the hotel had no Website or EMAIL address. Agoda listed some room facilities that were totally invisible. They listed that the bathroom was ensuite, but did not bother to list that there was no hot water. No trouble getting the Agoda discount, but the reception staff insisted I provide a copy of my voucher. Lesson implied: please be able to produce copies of your EMAIL confirmations and/or vouchers.

SIDENOTE:

Not normally a sightseer, I got a wild hair up my ass & scheduled a 5-day jaunt to Yogyakarta (Jogja, as the Indos say). A very interesting small city accessible by AirAsia from KL, Singapore, and Jakarta. Those who are sightseers or culture mongers might want to consider Jogja. Nearby are the 8th Century Borobudur & Prambanan Temples, both UNESCO World Heritage Sites.

Within Jogja's City limits are the Sultan's Palace, the Water Palace, & several factories where local artisans produce intricate Batik goods. These are easily accessible as the Transjogja Bus System is very efficient & dirt cheap. This system also makes the Airport easily accessible.

Jogja is the center of Javanese culture. Javanese is the preferred dialect there over Indonesian. One can attend costumed cultural performances everyday. At one restaurant where I enjoyed a superb lunch, the Waiters dress in Javanese costumes during the day then change to Jogja costumes for the evening. A real Touch of the exotic.

I stayed at an inexpensive hotel which offered about 8 choices of breakfast, which was included in the room fee. However, the bathroom did not contain a sink. First time I've encountered this. Awkward at first, but I learned to work around it.

ANOTHER SIDENOTE:

I found the Indonesiam people in both Jakarta & Jogja to be the most cheerful, bubbly, friendly, & accommodating whom I have ever encountered. Unlike the Thais, they seem to enjoy having the BULE (FARANG) around.

Writing only as a Layman (no fancy titles follow my name), I assess that the Indo has much more regard & respect for the BULE than does the Thai for the FARANG. I am willing to return to Indonesia just to enjoy the Indonesian people again.

Rather a lengthy post, hopefully more helpful than tiresome.

CHEERS!

p_up.gifp_report.gif

AuxiliaryExit

In Jakarta the best choice in my opinion is a serviced appartment. They are usually half or 2/3 of the price of an equivalent hotel and frankly said there is hardly a difference.

chickenlou

Cheers's for the head's up Sandman,

Did you not partake in any fanny whilst there?

Ron Rat

If he stayed at the Melawai and went to the 6th floor he could hardly have missed the girls. Had the best 3 some of my life there.

sandman

Cheers's for the head's up Sandman,

Did you not partake in any fanny whilst there?

Sandman Replying:

Yes, I did. I took one girl from D's Place, Jalan Felatahan, Blok M. OK, but nothing to write home about. Did visit Melawi's 6th floor several times, but I thought that Rp500,000 for a 1-hr session was exhorbitant.

But, more interesting, in Yogyakarta a girl latched on to me & spent Wednesday night. Killer body, no kids. The next day, Thuraday, she was heading to Jakarta, where I was heading the following Saturday. She got the name of my hotel & said she would visit me there on Sunday AM. Yeah right, I thought, a politician's promise. I'll be goddamned if she didn't show up Sunday morning prepared for a long stay. Sexually, she was poor, due to inexperience, I think. The 1st night I handed her a condom still in the foil, figuring she would perform the usual roll-on service. She didn't have a clue what it was or what to do with it. I kept her around because she was a fun girl & I thought I could develop her sexually, but she was too hard-headed. Her fantasy-grade body was also an influencing factor. No regrets.

CHEERS!

sandman

In Jakarta the best choice in my opinion is a serviced appartment. They are usually half or 2/3 of the price of an equivalent hotel and frankly said there is hardly a difference.

Sandman Replying:

Thank you for this suggestion about serviced apartments. How does someone who is not very familiar with that monolith of a city go about locating one? CHEERS!

MANY THANX!

Madcat

Its best Not to book hotels in Indonesia thru internet. The best way is at hotel reservation counters you find at airports. Example is Kaha travel service. Its much cheaper and you can get good recommendations too. Most Bule or farangs prefer the Blok M scene but to locals the girls there are either old ,ugly and cant get work anywhere else. Try the Mangga Besar or Hayam Wuruk areas. For starters try Travel hotel and spa.You wont regret it. For a more upmarket experience,its Alexis. Girls are so hot and good looking they make pattaya girls pale incomparison.This is just from my perspective as an Asian of course.

Edited by aja

AuxiliaryExit

The best one I stayed at was Takesmansion, but the prices of that one seem to have increased quite a bit in the last two years.

http://www.takesmansion.com/

I had the deluxe room and I was quite satisfied with it, but the price went from 360.000 rupiah to 500.000 rupiah a night.

It should still be cheaper than a hotel of equal quality though.

Edited by AuxiliaryExit

titop

Lets say Agoda to support the forum for Thailand etc.... and Haka when you arrive in Jakarta. at the airport...

They discount room day by day so real cheap if available...

zealman79

From the indo dating website I been on (its the biggest one there is ending in 'cupid')  there are some real fitties on there - population size helps I reckon - lots of non-lookers, but the hot ones are seriously hot.   And they're really nice too, chatting/vchat to about 5 of them on whatsapp/ym/skype etc - they seem really genuine.    Shall find out in a couple weeks if they really are (all jakartans since its my long weekend and 1st time there)  If I can be arsed I might write a trip report and bore you all to sleep :-D

(of course if all the above 5 fail, there's the P4P scene I'll definitely check out :-)