IGNORED

3 hour stop off in Dubai before BKK. Worth checking into a lounge?

kopite

I fly next Thursday and have a 3 hour stop over in Dubai before Bangkok. At Gatwick I have to check in 3 hours before deperture so im not sure how soon to departure I will need to check in at Dubai. I want to try and freshen up whilst in Dubai, so brush my teeth and even have a shave.

Should I book into one of the lounges for this or you think I won't have enough time and should just shave in the airport toilets?

Cheers

your flying emirates then? why not checkin online? .. theres no way then you need to checking at the airport 3 hrs before, 2hrs max just to drop your luggage and collect your boarding pass. you can easily freshen up in dubai airport toilets, 3 hrs transit isnt so long by the time you disembark, grab a drink and snack, freshen up .. it wont be long till they are calling you to the gate (45 mins prior to departure roughly - theres no checkin you will get your boarding pass for the dubai-bkk leg at gatwick)

O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

Why are you having to check in twice, you travelling two different airlines that don't share systems? I can understand having to check in via transit areas if you are using two completely different non-code share airline, which In Dubai will take you a goo 1+ hours more if you are going thru during a peak period, but seems a bit strange you are travelling to Thailand and would have to do this. If you do have to do this and you can't check your bags through to your final destination then I suggest you don't try and and use the transit facilities, just go through to immigration, collect your bags and go through the full check in process, trying to have your bags transferred mid way will cost you $80 (from memory) and have you sitting around in their waiting area for you to identify your bags. Best to just go through the full process, save the money and have something to do. (I have had to do this a couple times when coming from Bahrain - Dubai - Thailand.

There is a user pay lounge in Dubai airport, if you can check in for the full trip then use it to your benifit.

Get in the lounge mate have a nice shower and a cool beer before the next 7 hour journey.

Get in the lounge mate have a nice shower and a cool beer before the next 7 hour journey.

No airline takes 7 hours from Dubai to Bangkok unless flying on one engine.

5 hours 45 minutes is normally the quoted time but rarely exceeds 5 hours 15 minutes...

done this stop many times. You will be checked through from LGW to BKK so no new check-in in Dubai.

You'll have just about 2h to kill in Dubai since your flight will be called about 30-45min before departure and it can take quite a while to get from the plane to the waiting terminal. That's not worth spending any money booking a lounge unless you really don't care about spending.

Dubai airport is good. Plenty nice bars/restaurants (expensive but cheaper than a lounge for the time availlable) and chilling areas if you want to smoke there are smoking bars, too, and the toilets are plenty good enough for freshening up.

Sounds like you're travelling with Emirates. I've done the trip a few times & it's a nice ride. You'll be in transit when you arrive in Dubai so you'll be staying in the inner part of the airport & your checked luggage will be transferred to the onward plane so no need to check-in again. Dubai is a major hub hence it's a huge airport which isn't easily navigable largely due to the sheer number of inconsiderate people flying at you.

My flight always used to leave from gate 220 (or thereabouts) & there is a pub near there called The Hub. You can smoke in there & pints are around £8 with a so-so English breakfast for £12 if you're feeling rich; nice place & the time flies!

sgu_banner.gif

As above or find your exit gate then look where the rows of seats are and then look for the 'barbers' recliner type chairs against the walls. These are more comfortable than the normal 'upright' chairs....great for people watching for a few hours.

Otherwise if you are on Emirates follow the signs for gate 200+. Look for the burger bar and above it is the Emirates Lounge. Show your boarding pass to get food and drink.....sadly only free if your in the posh seats or have a +8hr wait for the next flight

Thanks for the replies, I am indeed flying with Emirates. Ok so it seems I don't need to check in. My main objective when I land in Dubai is to just find somewhere I can brush my teeth and have a shave. Hopefully I can pull that off in the toilets without anyone getting arsey but the thought of knocking back a cold one sounds good too.

• 4 weeks later...

never been through dubai.do you have to go through custems and immigration when you change flights for bk.ques are massive in abbu dhabi.

never been through dubai.do you have to go through custems and immigration when you change flights for bk.ques are massive in abbu dhabi.

Famished,

You only need to go through security if you are in transit and have a connecting flight. Takes about half an hour on a normal day. Max one hour on a bad day.

Alexi.

How do you write, create?" You don't, I told them. You don't try. That's very important: not to try, either for Cadillacs, creation or immortality. You wait, and if nothing happens, you wait some more. It's like a bug high on the wall. You wait for it to come to you. When it gets close enough you reach out, slap out and kill it. Or if you like its looks you make a pet out of it."

Charles Bukowski. Bukowski.jpg

No airline takes 7 hours from Dubai to Bangkok unless flying on one engine.

5 hours 45 minutes is normally the quoted time but rarely exceeds 5 hours 15 minutes...

Average flight time Dubai to Bangkok is 6h20m depending on aircraft and wind speed

3 hours in the Irish bar flies by and there is normall plenty off people to have good chat with

Edited by dave-

thanks alexi7.ifly on wednesday.in fact im going to dig my suitcase out right now.

You can always shave and brush teeth on the plane in the bathroom.