IGNORED

Bringing back extra weight/baggage with Etihad

Chief General

Just wondering if anyone has brought any more than normally allowed back to the UK from LOS when flying with Etihad?

Any problems, tips on doing so?

I plan on bringing some stuff back and I think it works out cheaper than shipping it.

Am I right in thinking your allowed an additional bag - up to 23kg for $137?

Zone 1 to Zone 1: USD10 / To Zone 2: USD20 / To Zone 3: USD35

Zone 2 to Zone 1: USD20 / To Zone 2: USD35 / To Zone 3: USD45

Zone 3 to Zone 1: USD35 / To Zone 2: USD45 / To Zone 3: USD50

*Exception – If you are traveling from Singapore to Brisbane or vice versa, your baggage will be charged at the rate of USD20 per kilo. spacer.gifDefinition of Zones

Zone 1: Indian Subcontinent, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, GCC and UAE

Zone 2: Africa, China, Europe, Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Malaysia, Philippines, Russia and Thailand

Zone 3: Australia, South Korea and Japan spacer.gifExcess baggage charges (per piece) for all Etihad-operated flights originating or arriving in the US or Canada are as follows: spacer.gifAdd an additional bag of up to 23kg (50lbs) for USD137

Add an additional bag of up to 32kg (70lbs) for USD187

ipUTkd7VLymwJ.gif

As I read it you are travelling from Thailand to Europe which is from Zone 2 to Zone 2. that makes it USD35 per kg. So a 23 kg excess is USD805.

The additional bag for USD137 refers to flights to USA or Canada.

As I read it you are travelling from Thailand to Europe which is from Zone 2 to Zone 2. that makes it USD35 per kg. So a 23 kg excess is USD805.

The additional bag for USD137 refers to flights to USA or Canada.

Per kilo its 1% of the full IATA first class fare so around 35USD is about right per kilo.

What you need to do and it takes a bit of balls is to have the excess bag loaded up using a "flexible" sports bag that you carry around the shoulder using a strap.

Check in normally using your allowance-you'll need to store your excess bag whilst checking in so a tirac comes in handy.

Go to final gate where 9 times out of 10 you'll just walk through as normal and sling your heavy bag overhead. In the odd time gate staff notice weight/size of the bag the worse that happens (after you say check in staff said it was fine-remember who checks you in !!) is they tag it and chuck it down the chute-point in question being you're way past the point of "paying"

Done it probably 40-50 times and only 4 times did they tag it and put in hold-easy and nothing to pay !!!

Edited by Joe_Le_Force

Go business class, get the extra baggage allowance and enjoy the many other benefits as well.

I flew Eithad last time to LOS and was quite overweight coming home, I had around 18kgs in my carry on and had packed it neatly so all my heaviest small items were in that so they would fit into the locker. My case was the 23 kilos even and I didn't go over weight on that. Checkin staff noticed that my carryon was over weight and weighed it and then gave me the lecture about its weight, I explained I had several thousand euro of cameras and laptops in there and I couldn't check it into the hold as per their policy. I was left through and used the same spiel again on the Aer Lingus staff at Heathrow on my separate flight home to Ireland to the same positive effect.

I have used this excuse about expensive cameras cannot be checked in as if they get lost the airline will have to compensate the passenger and as a result they do not recommend checking in valuables. I do have a camera but obviously its not worth the €800 I tell them at checkin!

If you join Etihad's guest frequent flyer programme you will get an extra 5kg allowance also and its free!

https://www.etihadairways.com/sites/Etihad/global/en/guestrecognition/visitor/etihadguest/guestbenefits/Pages/EtihadGuest.aspx

After many flights all over Europe with scrooge Ryanair I have discovered another neat little trick of half balancing a sports bag on the baggage weigh belt so that it weighs several kilos less than it is, have a scout around and find a checkin desk where the operators field of view is obscured or else when you checkin immediately start small talking and distracting her.

what you could try is a space bag, but your clothes in suck the air out. then put them in your carry on bag suppose to give 75% more space for luggage

what you could try is a space bag, but your clothes in suck the air out. then put them in your carry on bag suppose to give 75% more space for luggage

How does that help make things weigh less?

Maybe get a huge bag and fill it with helium.

thats a good idea, would helium be safe in an aircraft ??

A good suggestion and I have done it a few times here in Europe as checked baggage is very expensive on Ryanair so I just take a carryon with a spacesaver bag. It will not reduce the weight but it will heavily compress clothes so that they fit in a small carryon bag usually allowing you to maximise your carryon limit and exceed it as often they will not weigh a small bag as they think it is light. I have got some funny looks from hotel Maids when requesting their vacuum cleaners to re vacuum pack my luggage!

baggage is very expensive on Ryanair so I just take a carryon with a spacesaver bag. It will not reduce the weight but it will heavily compress clothes so that they fit in a small carryon bag usually allowing you to maximise your carryon limit and exceed it as often they will not weigh a small bag as they think it is light. I have got some funny looks from hotel Maids when requesting their vacuum cleaners to re vacuum pack my luggage!

[/quote WINTHORP (just love that name) thank you for explaining it for me. as winthorp said it will only help carry on luggage. in europe i travel easy jet carry on bag are mot weighed it is size that matters i was going to add a joke to this post. but the no frills air lines would charge me extra

Edited by gitteyman