Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Buying laptop

blylad

Hi All,

New poster here although have been to Pattaya 3/4 times before, I need to buy a new laptop and am heading for LOS next week.

Where would be the best place to grab a bargain and would I be able to use in UK due to different voltage???

1. Duty Free at UK airport.

2. Duty Free at connecting airport ie Abu Dhabi/Dubai etc.

3. Wait until arrival in LOS.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dont buy Laptop in LOS... They dont include window xp, you have to buy em as well, Fake/Copy for 1000 bt, or real one (dont know how much) .. But maybe i,m wrong... Maybe BMs here know better..

All the laptops I’ve seen come with an external power adaptor/transformer and most if not all work from 100-240V AC. It should say clearly on the transformer what the input voltage range is so it’s easy to check. The only thing you will need to get to use it in other counties is a plug adaptor or power lead that plugs into the transformer.

Duty free at a UK airport is usually a total joke / rip-off / scam. Dubai airport is not much better given everything is duty / tax free. At most airports there is not much choice anyway. If you know what you want price it up on the internet as that is probably going to be the cheapest place to buy it. Google shopping is usually a good place to start.

Dixons (www.dixonstravel.co.uk) have their airport range online but funnily enough no price information – you have to phone the store for this. I wonder why that is? I suspect it’s because they are selling at higher prices than other online retailers.

Not sure of current prices but 2 years ago i bought a new laptop in the UK and was looking around Tukcom during a subsequent visit - Pattaya price was approx 25% to 30% above what I paid in the UK. Have read on here that import taxes on genuine electrical items in Thailand make them more expensive than other areas of the world so may be best to undertake more research on prices

Whatever and wherever you buy, male sure to buy with 9 cells battery. It will give you around 7-8 hours

I bought a netbook in Tukcom, 9,500 baht, great service and very pleased with the purchase. I go down to Tukcom regularly so If you have a particular model laptop in mind, let me know what it is and I will check out prices for you.

Just buy from Banana IT - then you can take it back if there's a problem... I'm sometimes down South and it's great because they Banana IT stores down there too.

I recommend buying ASUS... tons of them in Thailand.. just broke my screen and Banana IT fixed it in no time (30 mins!).

Buy in UK, much cheaper plus proper English keyboard, licensed software plus if you buy in a national chain you can get a vat certificate and claim back the 20% vat at the airport customs when you leave the country.

i was pricing laptops on my last trip and they are more expensive than uk.

Head for currys / pc world ect , get some good deals this time of year.

Thanks for all the advise from everyone. Purchasing from LOS could lead to problems if theres a fault and need to take back.

That leaves Dixons duty free at UK airport which will be minus the 20% VAT and be guarenteed by any Dixons store or Duty Free at connecting airport which may or may not be a better deal.

Dont you have a Harvey norman there.......or Dick Smiths.........or JB HIFI in the UK.

I think you can get the price down in those places for cash.........I got 200 dollars off in harvey norman by paying cash on a laptop.plus 12 months warranty.

Im not sure Powerbuy in Pattaya ,........see link above...........would be any cheaper than shops in the UK or Austtalia

In US latest craze is 4g plus HDMI and Toshiba goes for 529$ plus tax, 15.6 inch screen.