IGNORED

Jasmine - the smelliest hotel on WS!

skinnyguy

I recently stayed in the Jasmine hotel on Walking Street. The location is, for me, perfect (it is up the pragmatically named Soi BJ - an alley off WS itself). My first impression of the hotel is very nice. It has a pleasant reception, with a small swimming pool in it (although I never saw anyone using it - I guess it is mostly for show). The public areas are all bright and clean, with pictures on the wall and many good quality fake plants everywhere. The staff were helpful. The room was very small (even though I had one of the larger ones), and was adequate rather than anything very special. It was clean, though.

However, here the problems began. The moment I stepped in the door, I was hit by this really foul stench. Something rotting in the walls, I think. This was quite grim and I immediately asked for another room. I got one, but the smell was similar. Since I didn't have anywhere else to go I accepted that room - but it was pretty bad. The second problem was that there wasn't any hot water in the shower. Admitedly, the staff were very good about this, and they fixed it quickly. However, it was extra hassle. Lastly, the ceiling above the shower leaked and I tended to get dirty water from the shower in the room above dripping on me. All in all this wasn't a happy experience. I was only in Pattaya for a few days - otherwise I would have found a better hotel. It is a shame, because these are fixable problems. All it needs is a plumber and someone to do something about that ghastly smell. The location is excellent, the price is very reasonable and the public areas are very nice. So, I reckon that this is a good hotel, but with problems that are terminal for me. I won't be returning unless i hear they are fixed.

Well I cannot call you out on this as I was not there when your problems arose but never had an issue when staying at the hotel.

The drains I found sometimes do smell a bit the Rain can effect this and the open cover in the Bathroom.

Hot Water was never a problem but I do know some Heaters have played up and are being replaced.

The Staff and Guys that run it are very helpful and if you was truly unhappy even a Short stay you could of moved out even next door or across from the hotel.

I understand being Pissed off about something that is fine but a Post just to have a moan seems a little unfair as you did list Postives and surely if that bad well I know what I would of done.

You also will know that you pay on arrival and can pay daily weekly etc and other than first night cost they refund and Monies if going.

I will use the place again on visits as my Pals will as you say great location and clean and tidy

Cheers and no have no connection to hotel in case you wondering 555

I stayed there in March & April and didn't have any of these problems.Maybe they have happened since have booked this hotel for my next trip,hope the problems have been fixed by then.

Robw

I understand being Pissed off about something that is fine but a Post just to have a moan seems a little unfair as you did list Postives and surely if that bad well I know what I would of done.

You also will know that you pay on arrival and can pay daily weekly etc and other than first night cost they refund and Monies if going.

I wasn't intending to just moan - it was supposed to be an honest review, that was why I did talk about the up sides as well as the down side. If it came across as a moan, then I apologize. I was only there for three days - had it been longer, then I would have definitely moved hotel. As it was, I thought that I would get used to it. Actually I didn't, and it kind of spoiled my stay - that is why I was a bit annoyed. It was a very nice hotel other than the smell problem and I certainly don't blame the people running the place - they were great. I do think the owners should do something about it, though.

I'm not saying that it is always a problem, but after i posted this I did think to search the site. There have been a number of reviews that have mentioned a bad smell - in March 2008, February 2010, September 2010 and August 2011 - so it does sound like there are ongoing issues with the building. I should have done my homework better but hell, it was only a weekend!

I hope that they do fix this - other than these smelly rooms it is a very nice hotel.

I wasn't intending to just moan - it was supposed to be an honest review, that was why I did talk about the up sides as well as the down side. If it came across as a moan, then I apologize. I was only there for three days - had it been longer, then I would have definitely moved hotel. As it was, I thought that I would get used to it. Actually I didn't, and it kind of spoiled my stay - that is why I was a bit annoyed. It was a very nice hotel other than the smell problem and I certainly don't blame the people running the place - they were great. I do think the owners should do something about it, though.

I'm not saying that it is always a problem, but after i posted this I did think to search the site. There have been a number of reviews that have mentioned a bad smell - in March 2008, February 2010, September 2010 and August 2011 - so it does sound like there are ongoing issues with the building. I should have done my homework better but hell, it was only a weekend!

I hope that they do fix this - other than these smelly rooms it is a very nice hotel.

No problems Matey i understand

I think the Whiff as i said come up through the Bathroom floor on occasions on the odd occasion i had a whiff just put a wet Towel over it.

This issue does occur at other hotel from time to time. A Plumber Mate told me if Thais used U Bend pipes with Traos this would never hapoen.

If you want Stink try Koh Samui Chawang Beach Road now that realky Bloody Smells 5555

Was it a superior or a superior+ room (note the plus)? I've heard the superior+ were the best by far (and the most expensive too at 1,300 baht).

It was a superior room. The superior+ rooms sound very nice, but that are more expensive, and were booked up when I was there.

I've stayed there for my trips on the last 3 years and been in 2 different classes of rooms and not had any smell issues so I can only assume it is only a subset of the rooms that have any issues.

I have found the staff extremely helpful and friendly there so if I was you I would have probably asked if they had a 3rd room you could check out and had a smell of the room before moving in.

Certainly not the best hotel in Pattaya but great location and price especially of you manage to get a discount like I have managed each year.

This hotel is only 6 years old. It's a shame it's starting to smell and is already falling apart. I've stayed there dozens of times, still beats fighting the roaches at Diamond Beach hotel.

Retired

I had a bit of smell issue in a superior room too. Never in the superior+

I think everybody will agree, the comon issue about Jasmine hotel is the poor quality of their towels.

I think everybody will agree, the comon issue about Jasmine hotel is the poor quality of their towels.

Hee Hee you are right there Blue Stiff horrid.

The BG hated them used to use my Beach Towel as it was nice and soft and dried them.

First time I saw them thought they were shower Mats 555

That's true, they are pretty shocking. Rather than building a pool no one uses they should have got some new towels in.

I stayed there last year, and yes, Ihad the smell issue. I'm pretty certain that it is mildew in the wall cavities - I recognise that smell from my days in student hovels. The annoying thing is that it would be very easy to fix - but the owners seem keener to spend money on superficial gloss than infrastructure. You are certainly right about the towels! They are truly disgusting. The only way I tolerated the place was to go straifpght out and buy industrial quantities of air-freshened and a big pile of my own towels. I did moan about the towels, and the staff are very helpful - they do their best. They quickly provided me with a set of brand new towels. However, even new they are such poor quality (paper thin an dalmost entirely non-absorbent) that I really wasn't much better off. Oh well, at least they tried!

Trip Reports:

"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company."

Mark Twain

Sounds like the smell might be from walls (not drain), but if you suspect the drain it might be worth grabbing a bottle of bleach from the 7/11 and dumping it in sink/drains (usually only find the clothing bleach at the 7/11, which is fine). Doesn't always work, but I find it sometimes does the job.

Edited by sabato

Sounds like the smell might be from walls (not drain)

I'm pretty sure it is. It would be easy to fix - but not without getting inside the wall cavities. If anyone on here knows the owners, it might be worth getting them to pass this suggestion on. Treating the mildew and instigating a new towel policy would turn this little hotel into an absolute gem.

Trip Reports:

"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company."

Mark Twain

I just stayed at the Jasmine for almost 3 weeks, and thought it was a good hotel. Location is of course great, just off WS. There's really loud live music at the the beginning of the Soi, but it's amazing how quickly it fades as you walk up Soi BJ. No smell issues at all in the Superior room. I will say I switched rooms twice looking for a better view and more light. I ended up on the top floor and was very happy there. There is actually a nice sea breeze in the open hallway. The staff was excellent, very helpful and friendly. Even the blue towels seemed fine, quite heavy, if not the softest towels I've ever had. All in all, good value for 900 Baht minus long stay discount.

The Thai Friendly Master Index - tfmi.wtf - 1700 ladies, 5000 reviews and still growing

Crowd Sourcing: use the button on the TFMI or go to tfmi.wtf/form

All in all, good value for 900 Baht minus long stay discount.

Yes, we tend to forget this : Jasmine hotel is a cheap hotel right in the middle in the action.

We should not expect a 5 star accomodation for a 2 star price.

• 1 month later...

Stayed there for a week between xmas and new year. First day in room appears that it had not been aired and mouldy smell was evident. Kept airconditioning and fan on and a couple of sprays with an aerosol and it was ok..agreed linen on bed and towels were below par with those simple touches missing (welcome info, clean toiletries, full roll of toilet paper..etc). For the price it was ok and excellent access to the party area. Stove top provided but no pots or pans. Pool was closed (peak season) which was dissapointing...Staff were excellent but let down by the "appearance" that the place was not prepared adequately to receive guests.

I've stayed there 4 times, my first stay was for around 3 months, loved it!

Location great, although it does get a little full on being on WS.

There was a slight smell, i think due to the rooms not being aired out, it didn't really bother me, once i left the window open for a bit to air it out, i found it fine.

All in all great place to stay if you want to be in the heart of the party scene, great price and clean rooms, with free Internet downstairs,

and WiFi Internet, if your room can pick up the signal.

cheers!

• 1 month later...

Has anyone stayed at Jasmine recently? I was planning to stay there for 9-10 nights but I'm a bit concerned after reading some of the posts on here re: smell. They rate well Trip Advisor so I'm a little surprised my the -ve reviews.

Any feedback or recommendations for clean hotel around 1000 baht/night welcome

Last time I stayed in one of the larger rooms on the 5th floor, 900 baht I think. Wasn't bothered by any mildew smell and brought my own towel.

Retired

I've booked three nights there starting Monday the 19th. If I like it I'll stay longer, otherwise I'll hunt for another place.

• 3 months later...

Is this hotel girl friendly?

very Girl Friendly Matey