IGNORED

Playing golf as an expat in Pattaya

LISBON

Hello Fellow Golfers,

Seeking a little advice from expats about playing golf frequently in Patts:

If everything goes according to plan I will soon be living permanently in Pattaya, but I'm a little worried that I won't be able to afford to play golf regularly. I often see boards displaying day golf trips outside golfing bars, now as far as away day trips go these are very cheap, but if I were to participate 4 days a week it would become very expensive and would eat, quite severely, into my yearly living budget.

At my local club in Cambridgeshire I have a 7 day membership at a yearly cost of £688.70 approx. 33,000 baht. plus, of course, my travelling costs.This amount fits quite comfortably into my Pattaya pension plans. Can someone who plays golf regularly please advise me how to get the best golf from my limited pension.

Thank you

Lisbon

Edited by LISBON

You should check the membership at Eastern Star. The membership is around 100.000 Baht andthe annual maintenace fee is appr. 12.000baht. Then you can play as much as you want even on holidays and pay only the cost of the caddy. I think this is the cheapest way if you plan to play more than 2 times a week.

Jomtien golf plays at least once a week there and they take careof the transportatation as well.

I play a lot with them. However I´m not a member at Eastern Star because I like to play different courses.

Check this web page http://www.ipgc.org/

Hopefully this is helpful

PM to Papa2044 here, He know a lot about Golfing here... He will be happy to give you some details.. He probably knows a few Expat who played regularly and the cost...

Hello Fellow Golfers,

If everything goes according to plan I will soon be living permanently in Pattaya, but I'm a little worried that I won't be able to afford to play golf regularly. I often see boards displaying day golf trips outside golfing bars, now as far as away day trips go these are very cheap, but if I were to participate 4 days a week it would become very expensive and would eat, quite severely, into my yearly living budget.

At my local club in Cambridgeshire I have a 7 day membership at a yearly cost of £688.70 approx. 33,000 baht. plus, of course, my travelling costs.This amount fits quite comfortably into my Pattaya pension plans. Can someone who plays golf regularly please advise me how to get the best golf from my limited pension.

Thank you

Lisbon

If you really have only set aside a budget of circa £13 per week to golf in Pattaya then you are likely to be very disappointed. Even if you golf only once a week the majority of your budget will be eaten up by the (compulsory) caddy fee and caddy tip. Thats even before you start thinking about the green fee (and cart, if necessary).

I would suggest you do a wee bit more research.

• 10 months later...

:Oops5:

Guess golf is cheaper in the (United) Kingdom than here,,,,, :Oops3:

"When somebody shows you who they are, believe them" - Maya Angelou

Golf in Thailand?....cheap as chips...well up here in Issan anyway. Approx 300THB per round + 200 caddy tip. So say 3 rounds a week x 4 weeks = 6000THB or 120 UK pounds PM, good value.

In Patts, best bet is join Pattaya sports club for discount card. Best daily golf is with Thaigerline IMHO.

Cheapest golf on the planet Issan driving ranges 20 THB per bucket of balls.

Do people play 4-5 times a week on a long term basis without getting tired of it ?

It's kind of like asking if drinking and chasing pussy daily is tiresome. For the large majority here it's not tiresome but largely up to the individual.

Pattaya offers both pussy and golf in abundance. For me, 2-3 times a week is enough.(golf that is!) For someone retired, it helps to break up(or take up) your days. It offers social interaction within your foursome, the caddies and your golf society/group. It is a game which you can never stop improving. It requires brain, brawn and finesse. You're outside, active and some of the courses are beautiful. Playing at Laem Chabang or one of the Siam courses is akin to BF'ing an "A" grade go-go girl. Slightly less expensive to golf though! :LOL2:

So yes, "some" people can play all the time and not get tired of it.

To reply to OP I think golf in LoS is more expensive than in Blighty. As a 'one-off' in holiday mode no problem, but to play regular? I play 2-3 times a week in England which is cheap with an annual sub.

My Pattaya budget is perfectly adequate as long as I don't spend any of it

Membership at Siam is 260,000 BHT.Yearly maintenance is 36,000.Cumpolsory caddie is 400,plus 100 if you want to book the caddy.Its a pretty good deal,for that caliber of course.The 260 is equity so you can sell it.

Look into joining the pattaya sports club , helped me save some baht, and met some great guys, you play out of some great bars,

Mr Lisbon get your money spent you tight git ha ha ha then maybe we will get it on for a game when you come out.

Pattaya is just the same as England there is cheap courses and there is the good and really good courses.

You need to decide which type of course you want to play, and do you want membership or do you just want to play 1 off games on different courses, then people can advise you better on the cost.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Fellow Golfers,

Thank you

Lisbon

I usually budget on 2200 bht per game which includes transport, green fees, caddie fee & tip, cart and a couple of drinks. I generally only play on the cheap "sports"" days and you would save 2 -300 if you didn't want a cart. I pay a similar fee to you to my club in Australia but if I wanted to play on the top courses in Australia i would be paying a lot more than in Patts.