IGNORED

iphone to pattaya

tobeornottobe

Does anyone bring there iphone to pattaya? Seems like alot less hassle then bringing a laptop, plus it has a camera, plus it fits in a safe, just wondering will I still need a thai sim to contact girls over there?

I bring mine but dont want my home phone number in the hands of too many people. Better to buy a cheap phone with a thai sim card for that.

i always bring mine ( its my normal home phone ).but i use it mostly just for checking emails and checking the PA site..

i hate carrying the laptop to thailand .

i seconded the above poster. get a cheap phone to make calls that way you dont have to worry about trashing it while partying.

its BETTER to be PISSED OFF then PISSED ON!!!..

I just got the new iPhone and plan on using it with my next trip.

Easier than carrying my video and still cameras and the quality of the pics are awesome for a phone.

I will just use the Thai sim when over there.

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

I just got the new iPhone and plan on using it with my next trip.

Easier than carrying my video and still cameras and the quality of the pics are awesome for a phone.

I will just use the Thai sim when over there.

Same here, pictures are just perfect! Just go and get a 12call simcard and they cut it in the size for a Microsim, so it fits in your Iphone :)

+ Many bars have free WiFi so you can still internet without your home sim.

Just make sure that is not not locked to one particular carrier (so that you can buy and use a cheap Thai SIM). Many of them are locked, some of these could be unofficially unlocked somewhere like Big C but not all ( depends on your model, software version and baseband). Best considered before you arrive IMO.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

No problems using your I-Phone.

Dependant on your contract terms cost maybe high or very high using it so make sure Dsta Roaming is off in settings otherwise your Bill will be Crazy.

Far bettet to see if a Thai Sim will work with it when in Pats ( Not all will )

If not well you now already have Sim you brought to try so then just get a cheap Thai Phone and use I-Phone for WiFi and taking Pics Music etc

I don't think I'd want to risk losing mine while drunk! I have an unlocked cheap nokia and use my email account to contact home if need be

Dependant on your contract terms cost maybe high or very high using it so make sure Dsta Roaming is off in settings otherwise your Bill will be Crazy.

Far bettet to see if a Thai Sim will work with it when in Pats ( Not all will )

If not well you now already have Sim you brought to try so then just get a cheap Thai Phone and use I-Phone for WiFi and taking Pics Music etc

I've gotta emphasize this - do not, under any circumstances, EVER, use data roaming. EVER. The costs aren't simply high or sky-high, they're literally astronomical. People have been hit for tens of thousands of dollars on data roaming, numerous times. If your iPhone (or another smartphone) is locked to your provider and you want to bring it with you to use on WiFi, make sure you take the SIM out, or the costs may easily exceed the rest of your trip, even if you fly first class and stay at five star hotels.

I've always brought my smartphones with me instead of a laptop. I just try to never get pissed to the point of losing it. And as everyone has said: use a Thai sim card.

I have the iPhone which is unlocked and I plan to get a thai local sim for 3G and I can then check emails and call home via the Skype app. I also have a netbook I took last time around and might take it again. Will take my crappy nokia and swap the thai sim into it when out and about and let the iPhone in my safety deposit box.

Is it possible with the Thai mobile companies to use the hotspot feature? I wouldn't need much data but being able to use the internet on the netbook via the phones hotspot would be great especially if my accommodation did not have free wi-fi access!

Are there any unlimited data plans in Thailand? My last Thai SIM had 5 hours free if recall, but because the iPhone is constantly checking for notifications, updating location, etc etc a timed data plan doesn't work well.

I'd love to know the cost of an unlimited plan.

Thanks.

Edited by Kindred