Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Barracuda Bar and Guesthouse

Micky2

I have stayed at the odd fancy hotel with all the convenient facilities, and used them, when on business..... and someone else was paying!

When on holiday I prefer something simple; just a place to sleep that is reasonably clean is enough. A decent TV with a few cable channels is a nice extra. A guesthouse is just fine, and Barracuda fitted my needs quite nicely.

Back in May I was in Bangkok to do a few things. Got done and had a couple of days to spare so hopped on the bus to see how Pattaya had changed in the couple of decades since my last visit. I decided that I would stay at Naklua, as I had last time, but had no bookings so wandered up Naklua Road, prepared to take whatever.

I had seen Barracuda on-line, and was lucky to find that they had a room spare that night. It was booked the next night, but they could shift me to another that was to become vacant. No problem for me, and I liked the casual, but obliging attitude. The rate was 700 baht a night, which I felt was quite reasonable for what was offered.

Both rooms were huge, party sized; much larger than any hotel I have stayed in, and quite clean. They have big TVs with cable. They also have a sofa and chairs, a safe, a good sized wardrobe (not that i needed much with only a small rucksack half full of stuff), black out curtains and good air-conditioning and a ceiling fan. With the a/c fan on low and the ceiling fan on low speed it kept cool air gently circulating, not blowing uncomfortably.

Being on the first floor right over the bar, I felt noise from below could get a bit intrusive, knowing Barracuda's reputation as being quite popular, and lively. However, having lived in a room over a skittles table in England, it did not bother me much. When it is time to sleep i can sleep through most things.

In the first room I didn't notice much when I went to bed at about 1.00 AM, but after a long day I was well ready to sleep. In a comfortable bed, I drifted off quite easily while my companion slipped off for som dum. I didn't notice when she returned to the king sized bed.

The room I had the next night was noisier. It was right over a ceiling mounted speaker in in the bar. After a busy day I was ready to sleep. It was not a bother for me, but it might be for others.

It is very guest friendly. The management have little interest in who, or how many others share a registered guest's room. The down side is that there is not the security of leaving ID card at reception, as is the norm in a hotel. However, entering through the bar, staff do see who comes and goes.

One thing that a single man should be aware of is that the Barracuda girls do have a reputation for claiming unaccompanied guests as their own. They are quite a friendly lot, who do make a man feel welcome, but they are not so warm to company a guest finds from elsewhere.

In my couple of days in Pattaya I checked out Walking Street, and some other places, but I liked the laid back vibe of Naklua. The beach was less crowded, there was a reasonable variety of food and places I stopped by for a drink were quite hospitable, both the staff and the regulars.

If I am in Bangkok again with a spare day or two, I would be tempted to return to Naklua, and would happily stay at Barracuda again.

Edited by Micky2