IGNORED

Immigration Officer will check how much money do you carry?

zzom

Planning the trip so lots of questions:

Regarding this subject, any tips on how much cash should I carry besides having a credit card or traveller checks? Does the officer demands you to have a minimum amount in local or foreign currency in hands so you can let in?

I like to use my credit card on international trips but I know some other places the officers may block if they think you don't have enough cash to stay in place.

Many many trips to LOS, no one ever asked about the amount of cash, wanted to see how much I carry, or demanded to see anything. I have never been searched by customs, touch wood.

I am only asked on the incoming and outgoing cards I get if I have over 10000 in Aus dollars.

Have not been search for my cash though.

My Youtube Channel about everything Thailand - TravInThailand

Many many trips to LOS, no one ever asked about the amount of cash, wanted to see how much I carry, or demanded to see anything. I have never been searched by customs, touch wood.

Same for me 2 . 4 trips in the last 2 years and just walked right in -no ??

None

Have never been checked after many trips to Thailand and other countrys. But have seen Boarder Services in my own country check some people at the gate awaiting for their flight.

Never been an issue when arriving or leaving Thailand in over 30 yrs of going.

Get more interest here in the UK which I think isn't such a bad thing if I'm kept safe.

Always worry about them Dogs coming back and picking up the Odour of all that Pussy I been with 555 must make for some interesting smells

They are happy for you to carry them over because you will spend them here in Thailand but they dont like anyone tp bring home a awful lots of money.. Never had myself checked in 14th trip.. They only interested in drugs smugglers and Fags/Drink overlimit into Thailand.. They make a bomb(Irish slang for money) out of them, My mate got fined 50,000 bts for bringing in 600 fags because of 200 fags max limit.

• 1 month later...

They are happy for you to carry them over because you will spend them here in Thailand but they dont like anyone tp bring home a awful lots of money.. Never had myself checked in 14th trip.. They only interested in drugs smugglers and Fags/Drink overlimit into Thailand.. They make a bomb(Irish slang for money) out of them, My mate got fined 50,000 bts for bringing in 600 fags because of 200 fags max limit.

that's crazy fine, why did he not give some to friends to carry in....he got ripped off at 50,000 bahts....never heard of such a thing, he was marked

cheers, Tommy of Richmond

why sleep if you are going to get up anyway?

Have never been checked after sixteen visits. I can prove in the money. Sufficiency of money control embassy in my country only if apply for multiple entry visa.

THAJEC Thajský muž TRIP 37 - 30.November 2018 - 28.1.2019

i think the legal amount is 10 grand u.s or the same amount in your money,i have never been stop or never heard of any one being stopped at the airport in the 15 times i've been.did get bollocked once for all the overstays in my passport.i'd should be fine as long as its not a shit load of money.

Depending upon where you're from, the Border Control of your home country will have a requirement that you declare incoming/outgoing cash over and above a set amount. For example, the Aussies get interested if you have $10,000 or more in your possession, but won't get strange about an excess amount as long as you have a reasonable excuse for needing so much cash.

A quick internet search brought up this information for a cash requirement on entering Thailand from a travel-information site (information posted Feb 2010):

All tourists entering Thailand now need to be able to show that they have a minimum amount of money on their person before they are allowed through Immigration.

The amounts vary for different visas:

1. Transit Visa holder: Must hold minimum THB 10,000 per passenger or THB 20,000 per family.

2. Tourist Visa holder: Must hold minimum THB 20,000 per passenger or THB 40,000 per family.

3. Visa on Arrival: Must hold minimum THB 10,000 per passenger or THB 20,000 per family.

4. Non Immigrant Visa holder: Must hold minimum THB 20,000 per passenger or THB 40,000 per family.

Most tourists come to Thailand and get a visa on arrival (technically a visa waiver) so will be required to hold 10,000 Baht. This money can be in an equivalent foriegn currency, but it must be in cash – no credit cards are accepted as proof of funds.

This is actually an existing Thai law which has now started to be enforced again. In reality it is highly unlikely everyone going through Immigration is going to be asked to show that they have the money on them – it is up to the discretion of the Immigration officials and whether they like the look of you.

Like others, I've never been asked about how much cash I have on me. I guess they figure if you're a) travelling on holiday, and b) can afford to spend around $1,000 on a 'plane ticket, you're going to have enough money on you to survive for a couple of days.

When leaving Thailand a traveller is subject to the following restrictions (again sourced from the internet):

Upon leaving, you are permitted to take no more than 50, 000B per person without special authorisation; exportation of foreign currencies is unrestricted.

Personally, if I had 50,000THB left in my pocket on the way home from Pattaya, something would have had to have gone tragically wrong with my holiday........

Cheers

Perthie

Edited by Perthie

Perthie's PA Bash and Bikini/Glow Party 19th May 2017.  Bikini clad girls in body paint, great food including pig roast, free shots, games and prizes for the lads and lasses.

6pm onwards at Sexy In The City (Soi 6) under the hosting expertise of the magnificent Xylanic.

Regarding this subject, any tips on how much cash should I carry besides having a credit card or traveller checks? Does the officer demands you to have a minimum amount in local or foreign currency in hands so you can let in?

I like to use my credit card on international trips but I know some other places the officers may block if they think you don't have enough cash to stay in place.

if you "only have cash" and you cant use the bank and you want to take over £10k change it up to euros in a high end city exchange (up to £4000 per exchange - no ID asked for), ask for e500 notes.... you can fit £50,00k in a match box... i know its a pain in the ass but some things its the only way! :ThumbUp6:

f**k it...lets do it!!

never heard of such a thing, he was marked

REALLY - then obviously you don't have the TV programmes "Border Control" and "Border Security" which are docos set in the UK and in Australia and it shows people getting fined every week for exactly the same thing.

I've never had a problem either, but as per the Rules Perthie just posted, it is possible that you might be asked to prove that you have the means to support yourself.

Last year a group of about a dozen Indian tourists were sent home because they couldn't do so.

Be careful using your Credit Card here, they are not as commonly used/accepted and be aware of the 3-4% they'll add.

REALLY - then obviously you don't have the TV programmes "Border Control" and "Border Security" which are docos set in the UK and in Australia and it shows people getting fined every week for exactly the same thing.

what i am saying is that it doesn't happen that often, so the person was marked. Nobody wants to be that person and the border petrols are not random in their search. Thats why I do not look rich when entering or leaving a country..., just a tourist...no jewerly, plain watch, golf bag.....

Have never been checked after many trips to Thailand and other countrys. But have seen Boarder Services in my own country check some people at the gate awaiting for their flight.

Yes thats the major issue these days....

Anything over a 1000 Sterling and you can be asked to prove origin by customs, if they Desire.

No proof and they can hold until you can satisfy them to origin which is no problem if its genuine and you can access other funds via cards, but if its your only source of funds for the trip than you can be absolutely fucked.....

that's crazy fine, why did he not give some to friends to carry in....he got ripped off at 50,000 bahts....never heard of such a thing, he was marked

Nothing to do with being marked....

Thailand tourist board have made it extremely clear over a long period of time that you respect the limits or you will be hammered.

Homeland Security / "Border Patrol" in the US *DOES* go to some of the gates (of outbound planes headed) to certain countries and question OUTBOUND passengers.

This happened in Detroit last year. At the gate, EVERY passenger was stopped by uniformed agents of HS and asked how much money you were carrying. The filipinos were pulled aside and required to count their money in front of the agents. It was the only time I have ever seen this ... but I don't ever fly through Detroit except that one time and have never seen it since.

Edited by travelling_man

Nothing to do with being marked....

Thailand tourist board have made it extremely clear over a long period of time that you respect the limits or you will be hammered.

I carry more than the limit sometimes, never had a problem, but now after reading about the duty free stuff...I hardly buy anything anymore.

Last year and this year I wore a money belt with less than $10,000.00. Last year I had no problems and arrived in Thailand to deposit my money. This year at LAX I was scanned and was asked to remove my money belt. The office asked how much money I had then he looked at the bills as if he just wanted to see if it was just money, then they let me go. I have also be asked at least two times on previous trips how much money I was carrying both times were just prior to boarding the aircraft.

Have a great day.

Jon

got pulled on the way out in Birmingham UK with about 3 grand sterling. Told em I was looking forward to spunking, I mean spending the lot in T-land after working hard on shitty building sites. Even got a smile outa the po-faced fuckers. Seems cash is illegal these days. They think you're laundering. Tell em you don't do bank charges and if you don't have a large withdrawl receipt then tell em you saved the money over a long period of time in a big jar 55. Governments want to know too much of your business these days, well they can go bollocks.

I Had a Custom's Officer ask me how much I had with me once, I told him, he felt sorry for me and give me some more! :o ....Only happened to me the once.

Tip when walking past customs in Bankok always follow Inians in it always them who get stopped works every time

I've entered and departed Thailand countless times over the past 30 years, at airports and land borders, and never once have I been questioned about funds/money. Only time I ever need to do that is when making visa extensions at immigration offices. One thing I always do is dress smart for every arrival, even if I'm coming across the land border from Cambo or Lao. It makes sense to dress smart and not look like you're a penniless bum. I see guys in shorts and flip-flops and singlets, unshaven and smelly, if you look like that then you may well get checked out for funds.