IGNORED

Ahaar Indian Restaurant

zaphodbeeblebrox

I had some extra time today and ate a well-deserved feast at Ahaar, which is located on Soi 13/2 (Soi Post Office), very close to Second Road.

136673-7813.jpg

136673-7814.jpg

The restaurant itself is located upstairs. I believe they use the downstairs as a waiting area (not sure if the restaurant gets crowded, as I was the only lunchtime customer today).

The menu, most of which is set forth in pictures below, is deep. There’s plenty of dishes to satisfy many different tastes: kababs, samosas, vindoolay, curries, tandoori, several types of naan and rice, etc.

The restaurant is very nice inside, with both Air Con and fans. There is a 200" projection screen for sports, and appropriate seating. I don’t go for projection TV, but it looks like they get some audience for that.

136673-7815.jpg

I ordered some vegetable pakoras, as an appetizer. They were o.k., not spectacular. They were served with a chili ketchup and chile sauce in squeeze bottles. Could have used some better sauces.

136673-7816.jpg

For lunch, I went hogwild. Chicken tikka, vegetable masala, garlic naan, and yellow rice.

136673-7817.jpg

Lunch came with an onion raita salad. There were also 4 condiments: sweet mango chutney, pickled onions, cucumber raita and Mirchi ka Salan (a vegetable stew). I also ordered 2 iced teas with the meal. I don’t think it is on the menu, but the owner accommodated the request and did a good job of honoring my request for no added sugar.

The lunch was simply outstanding. The chicken tikka came on a sizzling bed of cabbage. The vegetable masala was my favorite, with fresh peas and a just-spiced right sauce. Believe it or not, I ate it all. This was a tremendous meal, in quality, in quantity and, unfortunately price (850 baht). Indian food is expensive in Pattaya, but Ahaar is hands-down the best, and it is worth the price.

I spoke to the owner after the meal (sorry, I’m really bad with Indian names). He is from New Jersey and worked at CitiBank. He took early retirement in 2000 when it was offered at the time of the Traveler's Insurance merger. He then began an import business, importing goods from Thailand. Two years ago he moved to Pattaya, and opened this restaurant.

All I can say, is that I will be back, hopefully with a crowd, so I can dig deeper into the menu below.

136673-7818.jpg

136673-7819.jpg

136673-7820.jpg

136673-7821.jpg

136673-7822.jpg

136673-7823.jpg

136673-7824.jpg

136673-7825.jpg

136673-7826.jpg

136673-7827.jpg

Read more about the adventures of zaphodbeeblebrox in Rayong at www.zaphod.pattaya-blogs.com

Love a good Indian meal and will definitely give this one a try next visit,i take it you don't need to reserve a table and can just turn up on spec?

"Once you've gone asian you'll never go caucasian"

Thanks for the report, I will have to check this place out when I'm back in town I love a good Indian. :Party1:

She Loves Me I Love United That's Life !!!

Man UTD Isn't Just A Team, Its A RELIGION !

You can be my Wife but only for Tonight !

Love a good Indian meal and will definitely give this one a try next visit,i take it you don't need to reserve a table and can just turn up on spec?

I can't say that. All the tables had "reserved" signs on them. I walked in, not a sole in the place, and they gave me the best table, and removed the "reserved" sign.

Read more about the adventures of zaphodbeeblebrox in Rayong at www.zaphod.pattaya-blogs.com

Yes I love Indian food here in Pats. (Shame about the price though)

850 baht = 30 food stall dishes???

May all beings be free from suffering and the causes of suffering. "Hari Om Tat Sat"

• 2 weeks later...
I had some extra time today and ate a well-deserved feast at Ahaar, which is located on Soi 13/2 (Soi Post Office), very close to Second Road.

143736-7285.jpg

143736-7286.jpg

The restaurant itself is located upstairs. I believe they use the downstairs as a waiting area (not sure if the restaurant gets crowded, as I was the only lunchtime customer today).

The menu, most of which is set forth in pictures below, is deep. There’s plenty of dishes to satisfy many different tastes: kababs, samosas, vindoolay, curries, tandoori, several types of naan and rice, etc.

The restaurant is very nice inside, with both Air Con and fans. There is a 200" projection screen for sports, and appropriate seating. I don’t go for projection TV, but it looks like they get some audience for that.

143736-7287.jpg

I ordered some vegetable pakoras, as an appetizer. They were o.k., not spectacular. They were served with a chili ketchup and chile sauce in squeeze bottles. Could have used some better sauces.

143736-7288.jpg

For lunch, I went hogwild. Chicken tikka, vegetable masala, garlic naan, and yellow rice.

143736-7289.jpg

Lunch came with an onion raita salad. There were also 4 condiments: sweet mango chutney, pickled onions, cucumber raita and Mirchi ka Salan (a vegetable stew). I also ordered 2 iced teas with the meal. I don’t think it is on the menu, but the owner accommodated the request and did a good job of honoring my request for no added sugar.

The lunch was simply outstanding. The chicken tikka came on a sizzling bed of cabbage. The vegetable masala was my favorite, with fresh peas and a just-spiced right sauce. Believe it or not, I ate it all. This was a tremendous meal, in quality, in quantity and, unfortunately price (850 baht). Indian food is expensive in Pattaya, but Ahaar is hands-down the best, and it is worth the price.

I spoke to the owner after the meal (sorry, I’m really bad with Indian names). He is from New Jersey and worked at CitiBank. He took early retirement in 2000 when it was offered at the time of the Traveler's Insurance merger. He then began an import business, importing goods from Thailand. Two years ago he moved to Pattaya, and opened this restaurant.

All I can say, is that I will be back, hopefully with a crowd, so I can dig deeper into the menu below.

143736-7290.jpg

143736-7291.jpg

143736-7292.jpg

143736-7293.jpg

143736-7294.jpg

143736-7295.jpg

143736-7296.jpg

143736-7297.jpg

143736-7298.jpg

143736-7299.jpg

ANother little gem of a place for a good scoff is Little India located in the same arcade as Patricks off soi diand, it is right next to the car park with the beer bars. The owner is called Tim and his chef can cook anything that you would find in Blighty. Worth a visit IMHO

• 1 year later...

I love Indian and go to indian restaurants on a regular basis in England. I've been to a few indians in Pattaya and I've been disappointed in most of them. Not all though. Indian food thai style tends to be very different to Indian food english style. I've never been to Ahaar Restaurant. Going by the photographs the food looks very good. I'll be in Pattaya later this month so I might just give this restaurant a try.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I went to the ahaar for lunch with my friends and gues what we were the only customers. we ordered dishes dishes which are normally medium hot and politley asked if the could be made slightley milder.When they arrived they were all like Vindaloos. We could not believe it!! This place is nothing special.

• 2 weeks later...

bein

g an indian myself ican vouch for the authenticity of the stuff at ahaar which translated in english simply means food.while the prices sure seem to be on the higher side but the quality is atleast better than other indian eateries in patts.

i love pattaya

bein

g an indian myself ican vouch for the authenticity of the stuff at ahaar which translated in english simply means food.while the prices sure seem to be on the higher side but the quality is atleast better than other indian eateries in patts.

I take it you have ate at most of the other indian eateries in Patts have you? probably not. Although the quality is not bad there are better places at least 2 that i know of. I am a chef myself. I am very choosy about my food and not someone who will eat anything after a few beers. If you ask me to tast say mexican food i would not have a clue if it is authentic!!

I take it you have ate at most of the other indian eateries in Patts have you? probably not. Although the quality is not bad there are better places at least 2 that i know of. I am a chef myself. I am very choosy about my food and not someone who will eat anything after a few beers. If you ask me to tast say mexican food i would not have a clue if it is authentic!!

I'd like to hear which two you rate better.

I can only think of one, the India Palace soi new plaza.

Spidey.

Spidey.

I can only go by what i ate last year and if the chefs have not changed. Omar Khayyam arabian and indian one of the best lamb balti i have had. They have a Nepalese chef. its in Arab quarter soi marine plaza. The other is Ali Baba. I don't care about many of the posts by Bms saying its crap they must be used to the make believe rubbish indian food that we have all over england and i often see people drool over things like a Korma which is not even Indian its just made up.Can you imagine a korma eater and Chicken tikka masala(britains favourite curry) eater judging indian food. The fish tikka masala(real one) is really good and dehli daal in Ali baba. Enjoy!!

having eaten in nearly all of the indian restaurants in patts...

i agree, this is the best and closest to a UK style indian restaurant in pattaya, not cheap but as a treat, its worth it.

• 4 weeks later...

having just returned from Patts tried the Tikka center on soi bukhao this is the BEST! place i have been to in Pattaya and very reasonably priced not uk style (artificial) indian food but the real stuff!

Spidey.

• 5 months later...

I will be in Pattaya in a few weeks time. The Ahaar Restaurant is close to my hotel I might call there one night for a meal