IGNORED

Real Thai Food

I am sure somebody else open this topic before, but in my second visit in January I realy want to try some real thai food. Do you guys have any recomandation?

The best meals I've had is when a girl takes me to some out of the way place that I would have never found on my own. It's always been very cheap as well. A seafood place in Jomtien is one of my favorites. Just take the baht bus into Jomtien until you see a big blue crab. Forget the name. Picknic tables right by the ocean. You can't miss it.

Yor best bet is to look for the places that Thais eat. There are vast numbers of hole-in-the-wall cafes, hawker stalls and carts. The upmarket restaurants can be good, but these places are the real thing. The general standard of cooking is very high in Thailand - it is hard to go wrong. It is, thogh, even better if you have a nice young lady to help educate you!

Trip Reports:

"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company."

Mark Twain

The best meals I've had is when a girl takes me to some out of the way place that I would have never found on my own. It's always been very cheap as well. A seafood place in Jomtien is one of my favorites. Just take the baht bus into Jomtien until you see a big blue crab. Forget the name. Picknic tables right by the ocean. You can't miss it.

I went there, was quite nice and got to see the sunsetting, we where just riding about on a scooter we rented out and I told her to stop here for something to eat :)

Pity some guy, not sure if he was german or not but had a european accent when speaking in English, interupted the moment by asking if we would try one of his cocktails. :/

I'll see if I caught the name of the place in any of my pictures :)

Almost any Thai place you eat in Patts will be "real Thai food" unless you plan on eating in the most upscale places. Take a hungry walk on Pattaya Tai (south road) near Wat Chai at night and you will find the most authentic Thai places at the cheapest prices.

Edited by Wolf Cat

Street food. Soi Post office during the day is a good choice--many Thais eat from the street stalls there.The comments of others are spot on though--if you go with someone who knows Thai food, you'll have a better chance of getting the good stuff.

Edited by expatdude

Be careful there are many types of Thai food, I eat many Thai dishes but would not eat half the food my wife likes, shes an Isaan girl, you would be amazed at what the girls like to eat that come from that area.

• 1 month later...

just remember "pet nit noy" just as it is written, sound it out.

Means not spicy, you can always add more spice, but

never take it away !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Improving one Issan girls cash flow , one cash grant at a time !

just remember "pet nit noy" just as it is written, sound it out.

Means not spicy, you can always add more spice, but

never take it away !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

true that. However, to avoid anyone complaining, Marko, "pet nit noy" would be "only a little spicy". Askings for "not spicy" would be "mai pet".

Actually I'm curious where is the best Thai food in Pattaya? Of course I've had tons of Thai food there but I'd like to go somewhere off the beaten path with the kind of taste Thai's themselves like. I tend to like very spicy but not quite Issan style.

Edited by efish

The few and the hidden rule the many and the seen.

All The Colors: A novel about Thailand and the search for life beyond Corporate America

Kindle App for PC

Kindle App for Mac

supermini5.jpg

efish

Sukhumvit Soi 21 near the Toyota main agent as you turn in take a small lane on the right there is a Thai restaurant just a little way down allways very busy (not open in the evening), the lady owner has won international awards for her Thai dishes

satyr

Am I missing something here

one of my favourite thai food place is peuan 3, the moo gata/issan food place on soi buakaw opposite pook bar. you will need to go with a tg unless you can speak and read thai as the menu is in thai and the staff dont really speak english, but the food there is fkin awesome and its open all night.

Its my usual post ibar 7am eating place. its always full of tg and their karaoke boy barfines lol, very rare to see farang there which is always a good thing as far as food is concerned