IGNORED

Investment visa. Anyone try this route?

Mike11

The details on the internet are ambiguous at best about the requirements for an investment visa. I would appreciate any comments and details from someone who has navigated this process.

Where to apply, what documents are necessary, what type of bank account, amount that must be transfered, visa valid for how long, rules for renewal, rules for investing, rules for sending the money out of Thailand, etc.

Is the transfer requirement 10 million Baht?

I am 47, thus I do not qualify for the retirement visa. I do not want to make visa runs to other countries. I applied at the Thai Chicago Consulate via post this week and was only issued a single stay tourist visa good for 60 days when I explicitly requested a multiple entry visa. It was my first visa request other than the arrival visa.

Thank you for the help.

Mike

It seems a mystery to me, because I asked a number of law firms here in Bangkok and the results were mixed. Some are saying it doesn't exist, some say it was discontinued in 2008 and some say it's still possible even today..

I don't know anyone who has ventured down this route but it seems to be an expensive way of getting a visa.

As you only have a few years to wait until you are old enough for a retirement visa have you considered an ED visa? You only have to obtain the visa once in a different country and then extend it every 90 days at the local immigration office. If you need to leave Thailand and return you can get a re-entry permit.

I don't know anyone who has ventured down this route but it seems to be an expensive way of getting a visa.

As you only have a few years to wait until you are old enough for a retirement visa have you considered an ED visa? You only have to obtain the visa once in a different country and then extend it every 90 days at the local immigration office. If you need to leave Thailand and return you can get a re-entry permit.

I think you should realize not all of us are a few years behind 50 :)

I think you should realize not all of us are a few years behind 50 :)

And if you'd read the OP you'd realise that I was responding to the OP who stated his age as 47 :Think1:

The details on the internet are ambiguous at best about the requirements for an investment visa. I would appreciate any comments and details from someone who has navigated this process.

Where to apply, what documents are necessary, what type of bank account, amount that must be transfered, visa valid for how long, rules for renewal, rules for investing, rules for sending the money out of Thailand, etc.

Is the transfer requirement 10 million Baht?

I am 47, thus I do not qualify for the retirement visa. I do not want to make visa runs to other countries. I applied at the Thai Chicago Consulate via post this week and was only issued a single stay tourist visa good for 60 days when I explicitly requested a multiple entry visa. It was my first visa request other than the arrival visa.

Thank you for the help.

Mike

The only thing I remember along this lines where tied in with the "Elite Card" or what ever it was called that Thaksin brought in.

One option would be to have a business and then get Business Visa and possibly even a work permit if the business is set up right. As mentioned above there is the Education visa but you are dependent on the school it is held through and immigration having a crack down on abuses (rarely happens but still does.)

To but to be honest if you have 10,000,000 spare to invest you'd be better of just travelling to Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam etc... for 2 nights every 90 days and getting a new 90 day tourist visa. Most expats I know need to get out of Thailand after 2 - 3 months any way just to stop from going stir crazy. Also gives you another reason to get out and explore the region, you never know you may find someplace you like better.

I wouldn't trust them with that kind of money. Didn't they cancel the Thailand Elite Card privileges on a whim with no compensation for it's members?

I wouldn't trust them with that kind of money. Didn't they cancel the Thailand Elite Card privileges on a whim with no compensation for it's members?

If you speak of the "elite (rich) tourist" card who even give you the right to own a small land part, the anwser is No, they have stop to deliver it years ago, but the card sold are still valid and fonctional.

And they say its was a problem because almost halt of the owner was living permanetly in thailand while the card was supposed to allow you to stay 6 month per year at most.

Edited by Lucius_Nero